The Keating Hotel by Pininfarina
US$279
US$261
Pantai Inn(La Jolla)
US$413
Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$267
US$233
  • Beachfront
Paradise Point Resort & Spa(San Diego)
US$238
US$183
ParadisePoint.com
  • Pool
Bahia Resort Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$224
Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$225
  • Pool
The Dana on Mission Bay(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$229
US$190
  • Restaurant
US$224
  • Pool
Pacific Terrace Hotel(San Diego)
US$341
US$326
  • Beachfront
US$652
HardRockSD.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsespresso machinegaslamp districtopen showerstreet noiseboutique hotelgas lampbars and restaurantsturn down serviceawesome hotelhorton plazathe location is perfectenjoyed my stayconvention centervalet parkingpetco parkimperialedenzel
Reviewed 17 October 2013

The location of this hotel is great. It's right next to the big mall (forgot the name), bars and restaurants. Hotel rooms and set up are very modern designed. As impressive as the history behind this building, but the services were quite poor. Upon our arrival, we could barely see a smile on the face of the employee at front desk. I think his name is Bryan or something. (If the owner of the building is watching this, I'd say he is not suitable to work at service industry.) It seemed that he was doing us a huge favor for checking us in. The lady we asked direction from was not very helpful neither since she gave us the wrong directions for both places. Every time we were going up and down the elevator, not only there was much of a greetings from the front desk, but we felt that they were checking us up in the weird way. That was really an uncomfortable feeling. Is it too much to ask to see a friendly face under such circumstances? Funny part came the next morning at the complimentary breakfast. A woman put all the fruits and bagels on her plate as soon as she saw us stepping in. We had to leave after a little while since there was not much left after she went back 10 more times. That was of course not the fault of the hotel, but it might be different if they could have refill the food sooner. I wouldn't recommend to anybody who expect much for services other than wanting to be close to party zone.

Room Tip: Get a room on the side of the building if you want to get some sleep.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank michelle z
Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

If you actually want to get sleep this is certainly not the place.
As the day turned into night the noise got louder and louder. I'm not usually one to complain about noise but this was ridiculous. Apparently they are unable to install double glazed windows to reduce the noise due to the building being heritage listed which is why my wife and I are currently sitting in the dark. There is currently a power outage and no backup generator. This means the only tool we had to drown out the noise (the tv) cannot be used.
This place Sucks, avoid at all costs!

• Stayed: September 2013
5  Thank 101Buzzas
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Customer Service is not their strong point. The valet must have to run 10 blocks. When I pulled up no one was visible and I had to leave my car sitting outside on the road. Took forever for valet to bring it. That is the nice part. The rooms are loud as the windows have not been replaced and are all still single pane which allows an abundance of noise to come in from the the clubs and bars in the Gaslamp. There was visible deferred maintenance. The hall and stair carpeting look like it came from a bordello and the elevator needs refurbishment. The room is completely disfunctional. There is no bathroom. it is in your room. The shower is a nice sized glass stall; however the walls do not go all the way to the ceiling and there is no door so all of the cool air from the room pours into the shower while you are wet and water is splashing out onto the floor of your room. The sink is designed for people at least 6 feet tall. It is set way back in the vanity making it difficult to splash water on your face to shave or spit while brishing your teeth. The toilet paper rolls spin off when you pull the paper because the rolls are larger than the holder is designed for. There is WiFi, but my laptop has a problem connecting to WiFi unless it is right on top of the signal. In order to plug into the lan jack by the desk I had to be able to plug in my laptop, but all of the outlets by the desk were taken up by all the miscellaneous crap (espresso machine? really?) on or near the desk. Fortunately, one of the plugs led to a power strip secured under the desk that was holding yet more plugs one of which was a regular extension cord that had an outlet open (no danger of fire from an overloaded outlet here). I moved the phone from the wall outlet to the extension cord and was finally able to plug my laptop in. Sheesh.

Lastly, I had my final receipt emailed to me, but they got my email address wrong. After a week of waiting for my receiptm, I called, discovered the mistake and they promptly sent the receipt. In reviewing the receipt I noticed that they charged my card for $5.98 more than the balance showing. I emailed them about this and they replied that there was an Historical Preservation tax of $2.99/night that was not being shown on my bill. I searched the City of San Diego's code and ordinances on the City's website and found nothing. I asked the hotel to cite the oridnance for me so that I could verify the tax was due since it hadn't shown up on the invoice. A couple hours later the sent me a revised (not corrected invoice) that added a charge called "AMEX Checkout Payment" to get me to a 0 balance. Not even itemizing the tax. I have contacted the San Diego Convention and Visitor's Bureau to verify if this tax exists or not. Even if it does, the way it was handled was poor.

Room Tip: Geta room at another hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
13  Thank Albert C
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Omg, I was in the travel agent yesterday planning another holiday and mentioned to the girl about our holiday to America and said to her if she ever goes to San Diego, to stay at The Keating. I get home 30 mins later and browsing the net for tv shows to download and was shocked when the first thing i see was Ramsays hotel hell featuring this hotel. It was good to watch but only because I terribly miss the place. I stayed at the Ramada around the corner on our first night in San Diego and wasnt real happy so we walked to The Keating and one of the staff took us on a tour to show us the room first and first impressions were Omg this is awesome. Absolutely loved the place. Loved the layout of the room from the concrete floors(not cold), huge open shower that has 2 shower heads(1from ceiling and 1from wall) automatic coffee machine, big tv and awesome stereo sound. Fantastic staff who were always helpful with directions or anything else we needed. We were told our room would be on the 1st floor and it would
be very noisy but it wasnt. slept great in the huge comfy bed. Wish I was there now. Thankyou so much and so glad we found The Keating.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Wayne b
Reviewed 5 September 2013

This is not a hotel for everybody. If you want a luxury hotel that has quiet rooms with traditional amenities, you better find something else. But if your thing is trying something new, you will love Keating! We did like it a lot despite a few issues. The biggest issue is noise - the party downstairs is very loud and there are only two ways of handling the noise. Either you just go and party until 3 AM (we tried that, it was great!) or you use provided 3M earplugs (they work miracles!).

The hotel looks a bit like somebody wanted to create a six star hotel and then decided not to spend any money on maintenance - our room had amazing Bang & Olufsen TV and radio/CD + furniture that was very modern. But most of the shelves did not work, the rain shower was clogged, the toilet desk did not want to stay up + the whole room had signs of abuse and lack of maintenance. At least the sheets were pressed (if you saw Hotell Hell, you know why I checked that!). But one of the towels was so crappy I would not even use it for my car.

The painted concrete floor did not bother us, we actually liked it. The open shower was very comfortable and improved our marriage a lot ;) But the restroom with large window provided great views to people on the street until I realized numerous folks are staring at our window.

Breakfast was served on the second floor, but you had to have Sherlock Holmes capabilities to find it. The selection was pretty limited and not 4 star like, but we were able to eat something.

I will definitely come back to Keating Hotel if I am in San Diego and I will recommend this hotel to my friends in party age.

Room Tip: Make sure you read the reviews and you know what you are getting into
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple