“Awesome Location & Fabulous Service”

The Keating Hotel by Pininfarina
Ranked #115 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
“Awesome Location & Fabulous Service”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I don't normally write reviews unless I'm not satisfied or extremely disappointed. I decided to flip the script on this review. I have never received such exceptional service at a hotel. I was impressed from the second I walked into the bright red lobby. The staff were all very friendly and quickly checked me in and up to my room. The room was spotless and offered an expresso machine fully stocked. I was most impressed with the rates for the weekend I stayed. Christos Brooks worked some magic and got me a price no one could beat! I highly recommend this hotel. You can't beat the location in the heart of the gas lamp district!!

• Stayed January 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Aliso Viejo, California
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Obviously the location of the Keating is as good as it gets, setting you right in the middle of the Gaslamp District. I went with my girlfriend for her birthday and we were upgraded to the Imperiale Suite, which has a very immaculate modern design. The concrete floors, the layout of the suite, the view out the window, and even the "rain" shower were all memorable- it almost felt like being in a Manhattan apartment. This room was on the corner, so you do get some of the noise outside, but that's to be expected when staying in the area. We didn't make it to the restaurant or nightclub, but the little spa they have is a fantastic little addition. We also noticed a few meeting rooms for business travelers, so this place does seem to cater to just about anyone.
Considering everything above, the Keating's strongest asset is probably their customer service. I've never encountered a staff so committed to making sure guests are happy and comfortable. They were all easy to talk to, and more than willing to give us recommendations on the right food and nightlife to make our night a special one, and their suggestions were spot on!
Looking forward to staying here again the next time I visit!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2014

My first time staying at the Keating and I was very impressed! Great customer service, stellar location in the Gaslamp District and elegant accommodations. Loved the European feel to the rooms and espresso machines! Very trendy spot.

• Stayed January 2014
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Just stayed at the Keating in their remodeled McCallan suite, had stayed there before and it was NOISY, not know! They replaced windows and you cant hear any of the street noise as before, its great!!!! Also had a cocktail party in the room which the room was prefect for, the staff was also extremely accomodating and friendly, Good job Keating!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Ness City, Kansas
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Recently I booked a room at the Keating on line in anticipation of a Holiday Bowl invitation to my alma mater. Unfortunately we were offered a different bowl game and when I tried to cancel my booking I found out I had somehow booked a non-refundable room. I contacted Christos Brooks, Assistant General Manager, who immediately started working on my problem even though he was out of the office, on a business trip. When he returned, he very quickly took care of my problem, totally in my favor and I was not charged for the booking. The customer service here is top notch and I recommend The Keating to anyone traveling to San Diego. You can't beat great climate and great service.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Larry T
SF Bay Area
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Overall liked the hotel was fun, but considering how many little things were broken, and the general lack of coordination from staff its just not a three hundred dollar a night hotel. Its a lot of flash but not a lot of substance. They don't have the core stuff down like getting maintenance to your room quickly. The front counter staff was all extremely welcoming and friendly and frankly they seemed frustrated with the shortage of other staff, I get the feelings the owners are cutting corners on staff and maintenance and it shows. They rely on the hotel hell publicity but many of the issues that were supposedly fixed really weren't. Let me put it this way Gordon Ramsey would still have a field day going off about this place.

• Stayed February 2013
Chesapeake Beach
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I booked a 'blind hotel" through Expedia which promised a 3 1/2 star or better hotel in San Diego's Gaslamp District. I can't believe it has received good ratings by other reviewers because it was horrid! We were on the Penthouse floor. The only way it could get the name was because it was the top floor, not because it was luxurious. Everything except the toilet is in one room. The shower has no door and gives no privacy at all. The shower glass is like window glass and there is about a 3 foot area to walk in and out of the shower. I imagine it gets pretty cold in there, though I was too uncomfortable to try it out. The water from the shower leaked on to the grey concrete floor. I found this out as there was a stream of water from the shower to the bed, probably from the previous occupant. The concrete floor is cold and hard, and I wore socks the entire time I was there. One nightstand had a box with a vibrator and lubes for sale. Condoms were also available. The other nightstand had ear plugs as the noise from the street below continues well into the morning. There is little if any soundproofing in this building. The hotel boasts of Bang and Olufsen TV's and speakers, but the reception was terrible and the remote did not work. The decor is black and red...red walls and black carpet in the hallways. This place screams bordello. The sinks are stainless steel and too wide to get near the mirror to apply makeup. There is also a mirror on the ceiling above the sink, though I shudder to think what purpose it serves. Oh, and if you get lonely, just wait awhile an a cockroach will come by and keep you company. We booked through Expedia for two night. I called them in early morning after staying there one night, and Expedia customer service rep said I could not cancel my reservation for the second night; I could leave, but there would be no refund. They kept telling me I had asked for a two day reservation at the "special" price and they were unable to help me obtain a refund. I reminded them I contracted with them for a 3 1/2 star hotel and they had not provided one The hotel said they would refund the second night's charge, but to date they have not, nor have they returned my calls. I have turned it over to my credit card company to handle.
I thought Expedia would provide customer satisfaction on their bookings but sadly they do not.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple