“Forgettable”

and 1 more site!
The Keating Hotel by Pininfarina
Ranked #112 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Not a bad place to stay, but there are a lot of other better choices for the same money in the Gaslamp. The ambiance is sterile, the amenities basic and the espresso machine mediocre, in fact my automatic espresso machine is far better than the one in the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Shane P, General Manager at The Keating Hotel by Pininfarina, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Hi Andrea -

I am sorry to hear that you found the amenities to be less than fantastic in the rooms. We feel that our Lavazza espresso machines, Bang & Olufsen TV's & soundsystem, as well as our Frette linens are beyond what most hotels have to offer. I do hope that you enjoyed your time in San Diego. Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

The Keating is in a great location in the historic Gas Lamp District. Its in the middle of the action whether you are looking for nightlife, dinner, or a drink. I stayed on the Penthouse Level and loved the clean design and modern feeling of everything from the shower to the bed. The espresso machine in the room was a great upgrade over the usual coffee pot. The deal I had included a $35 credit for the mini bar and a $75 credit at the spa. I don't know if they do this all the time or not; I suggest asking. The staff was always very helpful and professional. The contenintal breakfast was weak link in my stay--not only was there very little choice, but it was poorly maintained. I ate my yogurt the first morning with a spoon I took from the coffee service, and the second morning with a plastic knife I found in a cabinet. Also there is not pool and the fitness room contains only 2 machines. No worries, take your board shorts and head to the beach--you will get a walk and a swim both.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Shane P, General Manager at The Keating Hotel by Pininfarina, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Hi Brad -

Thank you for your review. We're glad that you enjoyed your stay. Unfortunately, being a historic building we are unable to have a pool. However, our guests do have the option of heading over to the Broadway Swim Club which has a wonderful pool and workout facilities. You are correct being so close to the beaches you can always grab your trunks and hop into the ocean. Thanks again!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Hotel itself is fine.
Original design but not so practical (Italian Design) like shower having water getting out but not big deal.

Hotel is a bit old and need a bit of painting (it was in the process) in some places.

Main problem is not the comfort itself, it is really good but the noise.

Yes it is in the "hot area" of San Diego but still it is SUPER noisy until 2 or 3 AM.
Earplugs were not enough.
I am happy I travelled alone and not with family, it is almost impossible to sleep before 2 am if you are noise sensible.
And for a hotel, it is a bit of a problem.
But again, reading the reviews here you should be aware of that.

Breakfast is a joke like said in other descriptions.
Staff is friendly and helpful.

So if you are not annoyed by noise, go there, If you are a weak sleeper, avoid it.

1  Thank Gazymodo

Hello Gazymodo -

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide feedback. Unfortunately, with the vibrancy of the Gaslamp District in San Diego, The Keating does experience noise issues. We are in the process of alleviating these issues in the very near future. I agree that our breakfast could use an upgrade which is why we are re-vamping that as well. I apologize that you experienced issues but do hope that you were able to enjoy most of your stay with us. Thank you again and have a wonderful day.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Our second trip to The Keating because the first one was SO awesome! What a great little hotel - right there on F street in the heart of downtown. Friendly and efficient staff; stylish and spacey rooms; fast and easy valet and check-in; elevator right there - all because it's so small and convenient. Easy access to the highway for travel, all the great downtown/Gaslamp spots, and all the San Diego attractions - including Petco Park, which is only a 10 minute walk away! But back to the rooms - modern; sexy walk-in showers; great stereo sound system for playing music instead of the television. As I already said - it's really an awesome hotel. Our first stay we got the Stanza Vista for $185, which was really nice. This trip we booked the Chic Loft Suite for $215 which was even nicer - and a bit larger. I feel as though this hotel is a steal for the money. We also stayed at Hotel Del Coronado one night during this trip for a romantic ocean view with my wife, and would choose The Keating over Hotel Del ANY DAY OF THE WEEK!

Room Tip: It seems as though the difference in the price of the rooms is mostly the space, as ALL rooms are se...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jeff N

Hi Jeff!

Wow...what a phenomenal review!! We could not have put it any better ourselves! The staff is so pleased that they were able to provide great service for you. Thank you for taking the time out of your day to write such wonderful things about The Keating. We hope that you can make it back to The Keating for a 3rd time soon!

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Beautiful hotel with extremely helpful and friendly staff. I admit that there is some noise from close nightclubs but with an in room jacuzzi, I can live with noise.
I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi Carin!

The Keating staff is thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We all hope that you have a chance to return soon! Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Have a fantastic day!

Reviewed 28 July 2014

First of all, I visited San Diego already several times but stayed at other hotels. The Keating I used just for one night. However, the location at the center of Gaslamp as well as the hotel by itself is great. Unusual design of the rooms but very nice and clean. Great service also.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Shane P, General Manager at The Keating Hotel by Pininfarina, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Hi Thomas!

What a fantastic review! It is too bad that you didn't get to spend more time at The Keating. That just means that you will have to come back to see all of the great things that are happening here. I will share the review with my team as I know that they will be happy to hear that they had a hand in your wonderful experience. Thank you for taking time out of your day to provide your response.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Good location but Hotwire and the Hotel accepted the reservation when 2 adults and 1 child were listed. The problem is all the rooms had 1 king bed. Other hotels and websites indicate they don't have a room to accommodate the reservation. They did manage to cram a rollaway bed in the room- for an extra daily charge. The other problem is there is a bar that has live music 7 nights week on the 1st floor of the building. The music was so loud the floor vibrated until about 2:30 AM. Ridiculous. The windows are old and single pane so any street noise during the night will also wake you up. Although the location is good I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Chris N

Hi Chris -

Thank you for providing us with your feedback. Unfortunately, when booking through a service such as Hotwire they do not take into account needs based on guest count. When we receive the booking we do our best to accommodate. In the future please call us as we will be happy to match rates and can always do a better job at deciphering guest's needs. Regardless, you never should have been charged to add the cot in your room as you and your family were the ones that were inconvenienced. I will address this with my team. As noted in previous responses all of our windows are being changed out to brand new, dual pane windows. I know that does not help you with your stay but hopefully you will have a chance to return to experience what The Keating truly has to offer. If you would like to reach out to me to discuss your stay please do not hesitate to email me at spappas@thekeating.com. Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Diego
El Cordova Hotel
#8 of 17 in Coronado
Hotel Indigo San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
Andaz San Diego
Andaz San Diego
#72 of 279 in San Diego
Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego

Been to The Keating Hotel by Pininfarina? Share your experiences!