“Great service, nice design, good food”
Review of Andaz San Diego

Andaz San Diego
Ranked #67 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Richmond, Canada
“Great service, nice design, good food”
Reviewed 9 August 2011

Stayed here only for one-night.

Parking: valet $35/night (in and out)
Internet: free
Food: complimentary drinks (water, orange juice, pop, iced-tea), complimentary snacks (chips, granola bars and Toblerone); Room service food was good, but lack choices

We stayed at a Large King room. Very spacey. TV was a bit far if u were to sit at the front of the bed, I had to sit at the end of the bed. Sofa was kind of useless, because its right under the TV, facing the bed. Bathroom was nice, glass shower, so DO NOT stay unless you are comfortable showering in front of whoever you are staying with.

When we arrived, the check-in was quick and they served us complimentary drinks (wine, water, orange juice or pop). The front staff was also very kind in suggesting places for us to eat dinner. I am a member of the Hyatt Gold Passport, so I was happy to hear a "Welcome Home" from him. Members also get complimentary late check-out. Later that night, we asked housekeeping to send up some slippers. We got the slippers and they later phoned to make sure we did get it. Wake-up calls were on time. We asked for 2 calls (as snooze), and they called both times (I have had many experiences with hotels that somehow forget to give morning calls when requested).

Overall, excellent find! Would for sure consider staying at other Andaz locations.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Oli0612

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
TX
Reviewed 8 August 2011

Stayed at the Andaz as an overflow option from the convention center. A little walk but a lovely little hotel with great service and chic rooms.

Room Tip: Mid level room as clubs are on top and bottom
1 Thank Lisee98
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 6 August 2011

Stayed here after moving from the louder Hard Rock hotel. Beautifully appointed room, excellent staff. The bar and restaurant were great. I love that Andaz minibars offer complimentary soft drinks and limited snacks. When I'm paying over $200 for a room It's irritating to pay $5 for a bottle of water. The bed was very comfortable, but in the future I would ask for an outside facing room, as the interior ones prevent you from opening the drapes as you have ten other rooms looking in. And you may want an elevator close room if traveling with luggage, as the halls can be long. Friends were in an Andaz loft room and it was beautiful, but same thing, no view and lacked privacy. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, but I would request a room in a better location.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank aguyinthe818
Morris County, NJ
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 2,339 helpful votes
Reviewed 2 August 2011

I stayed here for business and it lived up to my expectations based on previous reviews. Staff was very friendly and I was offered a drink upon checkin. The room came with a well-stocked bar and almost all of the nonalcoholic items were complimentary. I did find a couple of things to be a little strange. First of all, the room had no drawers. I ended up putting items that could not be hung up on a shelf on the top of the closet. Since I am short, I had to step up in the closet to reach. More puzzling was the giant glass wall that separated the bedroom area from the rest of the room. There was very little space between where the wall ended and the table under the TV began. I kept imaging myself walkimg into the wall, especially half asleep. I will say that everything looked clean and modern and both the sheets and mattress were very comfortable. While the room had enough space for 1, I think it would have been cramped for a couple.

My parents came out to join me at the end of the trip and stayed in a larger room. Their room was similarly furnished with one important difference - there was a glass enclosed tub/shower in the middle of the room and no, it was not frosted glass. I would have felt like an exhibitionist, although my parents said that the glass fogged over when in use, so it wasn't much of an issue for them. It did strike all of us as a little odd though.

When a couple of issues came up (thermostat not working) they were handled quickly and courteously.

The rooftop lounge and pool were very nice. You could see the baseball games on the big screen in the stadium. I would recommend bringing your own beverages - a thimbleful of Bailey's cost $12.

Noise from the club was not an issue for me, but my parents heard it in their room.

Nice hotel if your young and want to go clubbing. Probably a little too much for me.

4 Thank bwco
Burnaby, Canada
Reviewed 1 August 2011

A friend and I wound up at the Andaz when our original booking at another Hyatt hotel was full. The reservation agent suggested Andaz as the nearest "sister" hotel and we booked the room for our last night in San Diego.

To be fair, we had no idea what the hotel looked like or where it was. Imagine our surprise when our taxi pulled up to a super sexy boutique hotel. Sleek in design, immaculate and pristine interiors, we were greeted by eye candy staff who were extremely courteous. One offered to check us in, the other whisked our bags discreetly away (our room wasn't yet available) and another made a complementary espresso for us.

The rooms are amaaaazing, like something out of Wallpaper magazine. Very hip, urban and tasteful. Dark wood, iPod-friendly, LCD screens, free WiFi and a cocktail bar already set up for you to enjoy. Complementary drinks are available for you in the fridge (everything from pop, juice, cold water ... oddly the only thing not free is Gatorade) and you have a full mini-bar if you want to make your own martinis. Also available is a complementary snack tray - Pringles chips, Toblerone and granola bars. Sure, it's not Whole Foods, but it's more free food than you'd get on a airplane flight these days.

For those who forget things easily, there's a menu available in your room of amenities available - at cost - through the hotel. These include a sewing kit and yes, even a vibrator. I guess you can be prepared for just about anything at the Andaz and they won't bat an eyelash.

The bathroom is worth mentioning as a whole separate paragraph. The shower head is detachable and is shaped horizontally. It'd make for a great windshield wiper for your car. No bathtub, but very spacious shower. The only downside of the bathroom - gorgeous as it is - is that it is very tiny and there are no doorhooks so you're leaving your towel on the floor and all of your clothes on the floor. Please Andaz - put in a hook on your door or wall!

Complementary thick plush robes are available for you in your closet. We pur ours on after our shower, even though it was summer time and arguably the wrong season to be wearing any kind of plush. We couldn't help ourselves. The grandeur of the place was so luxe!

The beds were firm and probably the best ones I've slept on since the Hampton Inn and Suites. Even though we were only there for one night, we were both able to sleep really well, a testament to the mattress and pillows. Both my friend and I are pretty picky sleepers so this is not a small feat!

We were sad to only have had one night at this hotel - we spent the next morning having brunch at their on-site restaurant. Fantastic waffles and great coffee. We didn't get a chance to sample their evening dinner, the on-site night club or the rooftop pool.

There are two computers in the lobby area with printers so you can whip off your boarding pass on your way to check-out. The eye-candy staff usher out our bags and chase down a taxi for us and we're off to the airport, leaving behind an unexpectedly sophisticated hotel experience.

Room Tip: Pick the top floor if possible. Ask how much parking is as we didn't see a parkade. Take advant...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Anemone350
Brightwood, Oregon
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Stayed with my daughter for three nights while she was on a business trip in the area. Very nice hotel and friendly staff,very helpful. A lively musice bar scene most nights with load music till early morning. We stayed Monday-Thursday and were only bothered one evening. The rooftop pool is very shallow good only for a quick cooloff or lap swims. Great views from the top of the city. The room furniture is sparse without a dresser or really any place to put clothes other than the closet for hanging up only. No hooks in the shower area for clothes or towels as well. Very nice bed and bedding. Really great single serve coffee maker and plenty of supplies.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank rose in woods
NYC
Reviewed 27 July 2011

I stayed at the Andaz for business during Comic-Con in a "King Loft" on the second floor. All the amenities were fantastic -- complimentary wi-fi, a selection of free in-room snacks and soft drinks (which saves hassle when you have to itemize expenses), friendly staff and a spacious and well-appointed room. Not only was the walk to the convention center easy, it was actually nice to be a few blocks out of the nexus of the crowds. Also, other reviewers complained about the noise ... I was there during maybe the busiest weekend of the year, with parties on the rooftop every night, and I didn't hear a peep.

Nearby the hotel are a few convenient places to know about: 1.) Quality Social is a great bar/bistro across the street. 2.) Ben's 24/7 is a good breakfast spot at the Ramada a half-block away on Sixth Ave -- one of the only spots to grab an early breakfast. 3.) The Hub Deli is also a half-block down Sixth Ave., and it has booze, snacks and other convenience items. It's open late but doesn't sell booze after 10 pm and doesn't reopen until 8 am. One of the hosts mentioned that they installed soundproofing, which apparently did the trick.

Hope that is helpful. I really enjoyed my stay at the Andaz and would return without thinking twice about it.

3 Thank Zolf