“Amazing staff”

Andaz San Diego
Ranked #74 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 10 August 2011

This hotel is great. It is right in the gaslamp quarter with easy access to everything. There is a couple of negatives. The hotel will hold $150 per day of your stay for incidentals and there is a $35 per day valet charge. The staff is amazing. In your room you have free water, cokes, juice, snapple lemonade and ice tea, and the room has a Kureg coffee maker with the pods. The pool is on the rooftop and has amazing views.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank waynelv

Reviewed 9 August 2011

This was the worst experience I have ever had at a hotel! We stayed for a bachelorette party and had three rooms booked there. I also purchased the Bachelorette bottle service package at the Ivy rooftop bar. We had another group of girls (4) that were staying at a different hotel that were a part of Friday's bottle service festivities. They were hassled by the door men and weren't being allowed in after they gave my name and said they were there for bottle service. The problem could have been handled by calling my room and saying I needed to meet them at the door rather than embarrassing them and leaving a horrible lasting impression! So now his gripe is about wristbands. Don't you think you would have to physically get into the hotel to actually acquire one?! When I called earlier in the day to see what my party and I needed to do I was instructed to go upstairs give my name and we would receive wristbands. I do not understand how that was so difficult!
So we're done with the rooftop bar and decide to get food while one of our friends that wasn't staying there takes a nap in our room. She wakes up before we get back needs air and goes outside downstairs only to be turned away when trying to come back in. She left her heels in the room because they were hurting her feet along with her purse and cell phone. She told the person working what room she came from and gave my name and still got turned away BUT not before an employee gave her a map and sent her on her way at around 330/4 AM!! Why wasn't she given the option to wait in the lobby?? We get back and see she's missing call our friends that she is staying with and they go out on the town to find her. Luckily they did but not after she got lost and had an encounter with one of the MANY homeless people that live in the area!! We were all in awe that had happened! I told a female that was helping us load our bags as we were checking out she could not believe it either BUT didn't offer to compensate me in any way. I spent a lot of money at this hotel as did our friends that stayed as well and to be treated like that is beyond belief!! My husband works for a time share company and you better believe he will be telling his potential owners about my experience!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Alison J
Rusty_Middleton, General Manager at Andaz San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2011

Dear AlisonJ54-

Thank you for taking the time to let me know about your experience at our hotel. I was disappointed to learn that our team was not able to provide the high level of service that is indicative of the Andaz brand. I know that this has left a lasting negative impression for what should have been a celebratory weekend for the bachelorette! We strive to provide a safe, fun, and vibrant hotel experience for our guests to enjoy.

I have personally discussed your experience with our management team to ensure that occurrences like this do not happen in the future. I know that this does not help in correcting your experience with us and I hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future, so we can show you the true Andaz service.

I encourage you to reach out to me directly to further discuss your experience, or if I may assist with future reservations at our hotel.

Warm regards,
Rusty Middleton

Reviewed 9 August 2011

Bottom Line: A good mix of trendy and upscale. It's a happening place on the weekends but this only enhanced our stay. Comfortable beds. Great ammenities. Superior customer service. Celebrity sighting.

This hotel is in a great location. The Andaz is very stylish and well appointed. I find the concept to be very refreshing and look forward to staying here again. The customer service was superior to any hotels we have stayed in- inlcuding the Ritz Carlton. We also saw a very handsome celebrity that was staying in the hotel- kind of exciting!

Check in was a little weird- as I wasn't quite sure where the front desk was but they check you in and escort you with your luggage to your room and explain everything. Most things in the mini bar are complimentary which is so nice to have. Decent sized bottles of alcohol are available for purchase in your room as well. They have a Escalade that will take you anywhere within 2 miles of the hotel, so be sure to use it.

This is a happening place at night! We counted at least 3 bars one of which was on the rooftop. They have a special elevator for guests (to go to your room OR any of the bars) so you don't have to wait in line. It was great when we were getting tired at the end of night because we would come back here and hang out for a bit and then go to bed. The pool is also a happening place during the daytime, worth going to.

Shower: it is open with glass but there is a solid door on the bathroom. It's different but it didn't bother my husband and I. It actually made the room feel more spacious. The rooms are not large (which is normal for downtown hotels in any city) but despite some other reviews we did have drawers at the foot of the bed which we found adequate.

Ext vs Int rooms: I requested an interior room based on previous reviews of noise and was totally bummed that there is only a view of concrete walls, so I think I'd probably request and exterior room next time.

Customer Service: So good that it was noticeable (and this was before we had any issues). They were great in every capacity. When we did have an issue with our shower leaking and they fixed it once, they had to come back again. They handled it well and I was pleased. It is rare to have good customer service anywhere these days but the fact that is was obvious from the minute we checked-in was refreshing.

I highly recommend Sunday brunch at Searsucker down the street. It's about a 5 minute walk on 5th street. We found it by accident while walking around, try the 'man-mosa" it was a big hit with our group. It was fantastic and fun and different! If you're hungry late night, the diner on the corner is open 24hrs and hit the spot.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank cnee
Reviewed 9 August 2011

Stayed here only for one-night.

Parking: valet $35/night (in and out)
Internet: free
Food: complimentary drinks (water, orange juice, pop, iced-tea), complimentary snacks (chips, granola bars and Toblerone); Room service food was good, but lack choices

We stayed at a Large King room. Very spacey. TV was a bit far if u were to sit at the front of the bed, I had to sit at the end of the bed. Sofa was kind of useless, because its right under the TV, facing the bed. Bathroom was nice, glass shower, so DO NOT stay unless you are comfortable showering in front of whoever you are staying with.

When we arrived, the check-in was quick and they served us complimentary drinks (wine, water, orange juice or pop). The front staff was also very kind in suggesting places for us to eat dinner. I am a member of the Hyatt Gold Passport, so I was happy to hear a "Welcome Home" from him. Members also get complimentary late check-out. Later that night, we asked housekeeping to send up some slippers. We got the slippers and they later phoned to make sure we did get it. Wake-up calls were on time. We asked for 2 calls (as snooze), and they called both times (I have had many experiences with hotels that somehow forget to give morning calls when requested).

Overall, excellent find! Would for sure consider staying at other Andaz locations.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Oli0612
Reviewed 8 August 2011

Stayed at the Andaz as an overflow option from the convention center. A little walk but a lovely little hotel with great service and chic rooms.

Room Tip: Mid level room as clubs are on top and bottom
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Lisee98
Reviewed 6 August 2011

Stayed here after moving from the louder Hard Rock hotel. Beautifully appointed room, excellent staff. The bar and restaurant were great. I love that Andaz minibars offer complimentary soft drinks and limited snacks. When I'm paying over $200 for a room It's irritating to pay $5 for a bottle of water. The bed was very comfortable, but in the future I would ask for an outside facing room, as the interior ones prevent you from opening the drapes as you have ten other rooms looking in. And you may want an elevator close room if traveling with luggage, as the halls can be long. Friends were in an Andaz loft room and it was beautiful, but same thing, no view and lacked privacy. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, but I would request a room in a better location.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank aguyinthe818
Reviewed 2 August 2011

I stayed here for business and it lived up to my expectations based on previous reviews. Staff was very friendly and I was offered a drink upon checkin. The room came with a well-stocked bar and almost all of the nonalcoholic items were complimentary. I did find a couple of things to be a little strange. First of all, the room had no drawers. I ended up putting items that could not be hung up on a shelf on the top of the closet. Since I am short, I had to step up in the closet to reach. More puzzling was the giant glass wall that separated the bedroom area from the rest of the room. There was very little space between where the wall ended and the table under the TV began. I kept imaging myself walkimg into the wall, especially half asleep. I will say that everything looked clean and modern and both the sheets and mattress were very comfortable. While the room had enough space for 1, I think it would have been cramped for a couple.

My parents came out to join me at the end of the trip and stayed in a larger room. Their room was similarly furnished with one important difference - there was a glass enclosed tub/shower in the middle of the room and no, it was not frosted glass. I would have felt like an exhibitionist, although my parents said that the glass fogged over when in use, so it wasn't much of an issue for them. It did strike all of us as a little odd though.

When a couple of issues came up (thermostat not working) they were handled quickly and courteously.

The rooftop lounge and pool were very nice. You could see the baseball games on the big screen in the stadium. I would recommend bringing your own beverages - a thimbleful of Bailey's cost $12.

Noise from the club was not an issue for me, but my parents heard it in their room.

Nice hotel if your young and want to go clubbing. Probably a little too much for me.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business