“Perfect for young singles/couples who like to go out” 5 of 5 bubbles

Andaz San Diego
Ranked #68 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Perfect for young singles/couples who like to go out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

Let me preface this by saying that this hotel is definitely NOT for everyone. However, it was absolutely perfect for me and my significant other for our final weekend in San Diego.

We came straight from the Tijuana/SD border and took the trolley back into town and walked to the hotel from the 5th Ave stop. I was kind of nervous because the hotel is so nice and we looked and smelled horrendous from walking so much and standing outside for several hours in the sun. Based on some of the previous reviews I was worried that the front desk would be snobby, but on the contrary, they were very welcoming and we were checked in as soon as a representative was available, within five minutes of arriving. They were very hospitable and told us all about the amenities and the wine tasting happy hour. They encouraged us to check out the rooftop as well.

We had a queen room facing the exterior (we were given an option as interior rooms are quieter but we both are heavy sleepers so we weren't worried about noise outside). It had a nice view with lots of natural light. The bed was comfortable and I liked the complimentary snacks and drinks in the mini bar!

The rooftop in the evening is beautiful. You can see the Petco Park stadium and the skyline looks incredible at twilight. The atmosphere was very classy and upscale. Bring a jacket because it gets breezy!

The best feature of the hotel is the close proximity to some great bars and restaurants in the area. You can walk pretty much everywhere in Gaslamp and if you need to go to another part of town, Gaslamp is very centrally located so an Uber ride will never be insanely expensive.

We went to the rooftop pool during the afternoon on Saturday. It was pretty rowdy and definitely not as classy as the evening crowd. There were a lot of drunk people and the music is REALLY loud so don't go up there expecting to have a nice relaxing sunbath. This is definitely not a place I would recommend for travelers with children since it could be considered inappropriate.

On Saturday night, it was very loud inside the hotel. We were out and about and when we got back close to 2am, it was extremely noisy on our floor. Someone walked out of a room and it sounded like there were at least a dozen people inside the room talking loudly and yelling and clinking glasses. When we exited the room the next day, there was vomit ALL up and down the hallway and a large broken vodka bottle so there was glass everywhere. I did not deduct stars from the hotel as this was definitely the fault of the irresponsible guests and not the hotel, and the hotel staff was working vigorously to clean up as soon as they saw the disaster. I just included this experience to further push home the point that families with small children may want to avoid this locale because based on what I saw at the pool earlier, this type of event is not out of the ordinary. I would also avoid this if you are a light sleeper. I am not, so it was a non-issue for me.

I did not try any of the restaurants at the hotel so I cannot comment on those.

I really would love to stay here again next time I am in San Diego because I enjoyed the stylish luxury of the hotel and being in the middle of all the action. I was comfortable and the staff was very accommodating. I would highly recommend to singles, young couples, or anyone who likes to be where the party is.

Room Tip: Choose exterior-facing rooms for great views, interior-facing rooms for more quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank caseyh06

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

We enjoyed the roof top bar The bed was small and not very comfortable The pool really nice but small so get there early to get a spot Food was yummy Slow service at the pool but still enjoyed our stay It was a good location to get to gas lamp walk to Horton plaza too

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Andaz

Kaneohe, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

Great hotel, and location, location, location. Close to everything. I love that they allow pets and have dog bowls outside their front door. Valet parking was also very helpful. Thanks for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Andaz

Kansas City, Missouri
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

I was very disappointed in the Andaz San Diego. I was not informed of the San Diego marathon that took place on June 1, and I am not familiar with the city. I parked my car on the street on the evening of May 31 and the next day when I went to retrieve my car, it had been towed. I spent the last morning of my 3 day weekend at the impound lot and paid $295.00 to retrieve my car. I would have gladly paid the ~$40.00 valet parking fee if I had known. Additionally, the wine in my room was old and had to be replaced; there was a milk carton on the coffee stand in the lobby on June 1st and only 3 sugars. There was walking over my head the morning of the marathon; perhaps runners prepared on the 5th floor.
The San Diego stay did not fulfill my expectations and was in direct contrast to the Savannah Andaz. My Savannah stay (in March of 2014) converted me to this brand and even though I want to return to Andaz, the towing of my car was a major let down. I requested reimbursement for the tow from Andaz San Deigo management and have not had a response.

Room Tip: Inquire at check in about the noise level that you will experience. My room was on the 4th floor and...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
berryville
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I visited hyatt Andaz in San Diego May 31-June 3.
We arrived at Andaz and were greeted promptly at the front desk. Check-in was quick & simple. Our room was 317 with a king bed that was very comfortable and a good size room. We also had what my husband called the "fishbowl" shower because the shower separated the bathroom and bedroom and you could completely see through it. Some people's reviews didn't like it and thought it was a lack of privacy, but we thought it was fun!

As with other Andaz hotels, water, Gatorade and some snacks are complimentary and get refilled everyday. That we love. Although, open arriving we did not receive our complimentary beverage (usually wine) that was given to us at other Andaz locations. I had forgotten about it at the time of check-in but remembered later when it was advertised on the hotel tv.

We thoroughly enjoyed the rooftop lounge, bed, bar & pool! The setting is modern & comfy and the waitress service on the weekend was very convenient.

The location of the hotel is right in the Gaslamp area so there is plenty to do and see! Lots of great restaurants and bars within a few steps. My husband and I visited Sea World while we were there and tha was about a twenty minute drive depending on traffic.

The only thing we didn't like was the cost of parking. I know most hotels in the city are expensive too, but we didn't want to pay $40 a night. We decided to park a few blocks away y a SF park. It would have been nice to just park at the hotel though.

Other then that, we will definitely be visiting Andaz San Diego when we return! Great stay!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jessica S
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights after relocating from back east and waiting to move into my apartment. The free drinks and snacks in the room help make up for the $38/day valet charge. The onsite gym is nice, and has free water bottles, towels and earphones. Only ate on the rooftop once for lunch - the food was okay but overpriced. The hotel is pet friendly with a $100 fee. Overall, the hotel is nice, has a great location and the valet guys are really helpful.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
San Diego, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

Though this hotel is beautiful and in a good location, it is party central. Dalia who checked me in was great and put me in a more quiet location, but it didn't help on a Saturday night--there were parties, other 'activities' and just a ton of noise. I don't know if I'd write this except that 3 other friends who have stayed there in the past said 'Oh yeah, it's totally loud there' and 2 of the 3 said they wouldn't stay again because of noise.

Room Tip: don't know because it was so loud but maybe away from the elevators/end of hallways (room 405 wh...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
AndazSD, Guest Services at Andaz San Diego, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear jennmelzer,

Thank you for your review as we do take the points you brought up into strong consideration. We want our guests to have a great experience from a quiet weekend to an eventful one. Based on your experience, it sounds as though we did not succeed in showing you this and for that we want to sincerely apologize. Should you consider staying with us again, please do not hesitate to reach out to us directly prior to your visit so we can personally handle the details and attempt to make amends for any discomfort you experienced.