“Quite a Gem”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles
“Quite a Gem”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I ended up at this Hotel because I had to be in San Diego for a conference and every other Hotel I tried was booked. But I feel I struck gold. This is a small boutique Hotel that has great service at a reasonable price. You feel like the staff will go out of their way to help. The Hotel is very clean and quiet. However the street noise is noticable. You can hear the cars and the bar across the stree doesn't close until 2am so you hear the late night party goes also. I am from New York so I wasn't bothered at all but I could see where someone could be. Also I had studio. It's layout was fine for 1 person or very close couple. The bathtub and shower were enclosed in glass sort of in the middle of the room. So kinda dicey to stay with your buddy or any child older than 3. But like I said very clean, great service. The location was in the Gaslamp Quarter and walking distance to Seaport Village ( which I did every day for the conference). I'll be back.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I took my wife away with our 3 month old for her birthday. Flying into Palm Springs for a few nights and then we decided to come spend some time in San Diego and chose this hotel because of the photos etc online. We valeted the car. Checkin went well... We were not offered a drink though. We checked into our room after a beautiful day at the zoo. Oddly shaped room but was nice. We showered up for dinner as we were running a little late. The floor in the washroom and extrance is dangerous! Very slippery. After we both almost fell we put towels down as it was not worth the risk of falling with the baby. There was a thick lay of dust on the glass shelf in the bathroom. One of the towels was also all frayed like a old pair of jeans. Looked something like a well used rag. I went down to get the car a few minutes before my wife so we could get on our way for dinner and she and the baby would not have to wait. The valet ticket had no number to dial etc to get the car brought up... For $50 a night possibly something they should look into. I waited approx. 20 minutes for our car. I was extremely irritated with how slow it was. My wife brought the baby down after a few minutes and stood waiting with me. I went to speak to someone at the desk but apparently they were short staffed and the 1 man they had was busy talking to a customer in the lobby area for 10 minutes. By the time we got to our dinner reservation in Little Italy we had to order right away as it was last call already. I brought this to the front desks attention upon checkout and they took off the valet charge. However it wasn't about the money, ill definitely be staying somewhere else next time.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jake787
AndazSD, Andaz Guest Services at Andaz San Diego, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Jake787,
Thank you for sharing your experience and we are glad that you enjoyed the check-in process and your room. Please accept our sincere apologies that the service, particularly the Valet, was not at its usual level. We pride ourselves on the care and attention we give to guests and I am sorry that this was not the case during your recent visit.
We do hope that you will give our Hotel another try so that we can show you the true Andaz San Diego experience.

Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Wonderful stay. Location was great. Right in the middle of entertainment district. Rooftop food and drinks were fantastic. Drinks a little pricey but had great happy hour specials. Service of the rooftop was great. All the bartenders and waitstaff were excellent and gave great tips on surrounding restaurants, bars, shopping, etc.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Andaz

1 Thank slp_dsm
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014

The hotel was easy to find and plenty of public parking lots around, but weird amounts of time available. We started with ten hours for $10, but that meant it ran out just after midnight, so I went back at 10:30 and could only get nine hours - and for $12!. That's a niggle which may get worse. You can have valet parking for $40 a day, but that's expensive.

The reception staff were pleasant and helpful and gave me yet another key card when I locked mine in my room. The key cards are designed like elements, fun and colourful. However, you have to use it each time to operate the lift and it always takes me down first, even if I want to go up. Irritating.

The room I have overlooks the Salvation Army building and consequently has a lot of homeless people outside - I can hear shouted ravings as I write this. Coupled with the roadworks outside the front door and the glass recycling truck coming about 6:30, I did not sleep well my first night. Having said that, the bed and pillows are wonderfully comfy. There's a big wall-mounted tv opposite the bed and a great selection of drinks and snacks, some of which are complimentary.

The sink is separated from the bed by a glass wall which I walked into when I turned out the light last night. The toilet and shower are beyond that behind a frosted glass door. It took ages to get hot water this morning for a shower - seems to me to be style over substance.

We went to the rooftop area last night to look at the view and the pool. The pool is only 3.5 feet deep and not very big, but comfy seating around it. It's definitely set up for adults as the pool closes at 7pm and after 9pm you have to be 18 to be up there. Then it's like a mini nightclub, though I wasn't disturbed by noise from that in my room on the second floor.

There's free wifi, but the connection keeps dropping - irritating for me, must be infuriating for the teenagers with me.

All in all, I'd say this is a lovely place for couples, not good for families (or older people)

Green Features: The hotel has a card which you can leave on your bed to say you want your towels and linen changing. Otherwise it is three days before it is done. I'm happy with that.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
San Jose, California, United States
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Andaz seems to be a new concept for Hyatt. Everything is modern and trendy. Our floor had recently been renovated and it had the feel of new. While it could have used a couple of towel hooks/bars and a stronger WiFi, everything else in the the room was first class. The bed was very comfortable, one of the best on this trip. The Keurig coffee maker and the free snacks were a nice touch.

We found the staff very helpful with both great service and helpful suggestions for the best places to eat breakfast and dinner around the Gaslamp. This nice since they have a good restaurant on site but were still willing to recommend elsewhere.

They were so helpful they even gave us each a cold water for the stage of our trip up the California coast.

If you want to stay in the Gaslamp, we recommend you give it a try.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear MC994,

Thank you so much for the kind words! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and were able to explore the fantastic Gaslamp area while you were here.
We hope to welcome you back to the Andaz San Diego in the near future.

istanbul
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We stayed 2 nights in Andaz. The hotel is a trendy and hip boutique hotel with a very good location. You are 2 minutes away from Gaslamp district, where all the action was going on. The front desk and the valet service was nice and friendly. Valet service is so expensive (50 usd) Instead, park your car at the closest parking lot for around 25 usd/night. Check in was smooth, pool terrace is nice to have a drink. We did not have any problems in Andaz.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Uppsala, Sweden
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

We visited San Diego 4 days and stayed at Andaz 3 nights. The hotel was fresch and clean. Staff very serviceminded, it was a "relaxed" atmosphere even thought the hotel was high standard - we liked that a lot!! The bar at the top was nice - try that. Our kids testet the pool and this was also great! The only thing we want to be improved was the lightening in the rooms, it was to dark, especially in the bathroom.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Åsa B,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us! You’ve got it right; at Andaz we like to keep things relaxed and uncomplicated while still providing top notch service to our guests. Please come back to see us soon and enjoy all that Andaz has to offer.