The Sofia Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Room Service
Wyndham Harbour Lights(San Diego)
  • Fitness centre
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Breakfast included
1,515 results
All reviewsgaslamp districtrooms are smallhorton plazayoga roomtwo bottles of waterconvention centershower doorhistorical hotelgreat boutiquerestaurant downstairswalking distanceper nighthomeless peoplebathroom floorin room coffeegas lampfridge and microwave
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 February 2011

Last night's stay was not that great considering the guests next door stayed up past 3am laughing and drinking. Walls were not thick enough to mask that. Had to finally call front desk who quieted them down in 5 mins.

Got a prank call at 5am asking if I had pink eye and if there was a Lily in the room. Asked front desk about it the next morning and there was no way to track the call.

Rooms are clean, well lit, modern, comfortable and cute but small. If the closet door is open, I can't get to the far bed. If the chair at the desk is occupied, I can't get to the windows or corner where I put my stuff (not spacious enough so options are limited).

They should have made a second glass door for the shower.

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed 17 February 2011

We were very disappointed in our stay there.The room was very small, dingy, dark, and not well kept. We also found the staff to be very indifferent. They have what is called a " Guest service fee," which they say covers the Hotels ammenities. It is like the airlines charging for baggage. The ammenities were very limited, when I asked for an umbrella to get the car they said" The hotel does not offer them," free bicycles are part of the program: however there were none available, we did get a free botttle of water. Stay at the Omni, gretat hotel, great service, better location

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 January 2011

Three of us stayed here in May 2010. The hotel was in a good location close to harbour, transport, restaurant area etc. It was very clean, a bit upmarket. However the room was tiny, and the basin for the bathroom was actually in the entrance way of the room and the bathroom could fit one person at a time just - so for 3 adults with lots of luggage sharing a room it was a tight squeeze! Breakfast was not included, and the restaurant looked quite pricey. I would try somewhere else if I went again.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 January 2011

The smalest room I have ever stayed in the past 3 years of weekly business travel. If you were to calculate the price of room $180/night durring my stay for a room that is maybe 12X12 but realesticly 10X10, there is no value. Open my suit case, and cannot walk the two steps into the bathroom without first having to close or move the suit case.
Staff is not friendly regardless of what others have said, but that maybe because I said the room realy was too small. the there is the $30/night parking

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 January 2011

We drove 2.5 hours from Los Angeles to San Diego and arrived at the Sophia Hotel. The representative at the registration desk, Gabriella tells me that she hasn’t received any online bookings all day so she probably couldn’t help me. I was a bit stunned by that comment but I proceeded to tell her my name and show her my Perfect Escapes confirmation on my iPhone. She tells me that she didn’t care about that and pointed towards the business center. “Go and print me a hard copy and then come back here.” Again, I was stunned and asked her, “I am giving you my name, I am showing you the confirmation and yet, you’re asking me to go and print out the confirmation or you won’t be able to help me?” She said yes. As I stood there in disbelief from the response that I just received but realizing that this woman couldn’t “think on her feet”, I went over to the business center and tried to print my confirmation. The printer was out of ink. I went back to Gabriella and told her that the ink was out and she proceeded to yell loudly across to the other side of the lobby to tell a bellman that the printer was broken. The bellman started to laugh at me and says to me “what?, can’t print something?”. The bellman slouches way back in the chair and starts printing off sheets and cavalierly hands them to me. They were blank, obviously from the lack of ink. I had to show them back to him so that he could see that they were blank. He yells out of the business center back to Gabriella and says, “just book him a room!”. Gabriella starts to book a room but now wouldn’t look at me. I tell her that Perfect Escapes lists a late checkout and ask her if she is going to honor it. Gabriella sighs and said I should be charging you more but I’ll do it anyway and sarcastically says, “for all your inconvenience”. Gabriella still doesn’t offer up any apology and still won’t look me in the eye.

I had never been so close to having my girlfriend and I jump back in my car and take our chances finding a new place. Next time, I will go with my instincts…

Now back to the fun.

The elevator was extremely small. At most, it would fit 4-5 people and we see a couple struggling to get their baby stroller inside. We wait for the next car. Once in the elevator, we notice the odd décor. Strange vinyl laminate on the floor of a picture of rocks mixed with old wood paneling on the walls. The door on the elevator closes and the elevator jerks and drops suddenly. It gets us to our floor and we quickly get out. We nervously laugh and call it the Bates Motel and both assure ourselves that it couldn’t get any worse. We get to our room and one of the keys isn’t programmed properly. Luckily we had a second key that did work or I was dreading another visit to Gabriella, aka “Miss Congeniality”. The room is extremely small. So small that you see a sink as soon as you open the door. We walk in and we see the smallest flat screen TV that we have ever seen. Maybe a diameter of 14”. We joke and say it helps to make the room look bigger. We open the curtains and “our city view” is the old Grayhound Bus terminal. I tried to turn on the light next to the bed but it was burned out. My girlfriend goes into the bathroom and the toilet wouldn’t flush properly. One had to hold it down until the cycle was completely done. The kicker was the size of the bathroom. The bathroom was so small that there was no bathtub, the shower length was only about 5 feet and they couldn’t install a door on the shower as there wouldn’t be enough room to open outwards. Instead they had a half glass wall on the left-hand side. The problem with this design was that the shower knobs were on the right side and the shower head was on the left, so when one turns on the water, the stream would hit you in the face and body if you wanted to warm up the shower while you were getting undressed. In addition, with only a half glass wall on the left-hand side, the showerhead would shoot the water out onto the floor of the bathroom and would pour into our hallway. Would never stay there again and obviously, I am taking the time to write this lengthy review to warn others about the Sophia Hotel. I see on various travel sites that the Sophia Hotel just got downgraded to 3 stars, which is much too generous in my opinion.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple