“Clean, great service, and not far from downtown.”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Diego Otay Mesa
Ranked #177 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
San Diego, California
“Clean, great service, and not far from downtown.”
Reviewed 21 January 2013

I recently spent a weekend at this property and I was pleasantly surprised with my stay. I decided to stay here because I got a great rate (much more affordable then staying in a hotel downtown) and it turns out its only a 15 minute drive up the high way to get to all the hot spots. The rooms were clean and inviting and the staff were very friendly. I look forward to my next trip to San Diego so I can stay at the Holiday Inn Express again!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank DKNJ54
Greg W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Diego Otay Mesa, responded to this review, 21 February 2013
Thank you very much for your kind words. I'm glad to hear that we exceeded your expectations as we strive for perfection for each and every guest.

Our rates are below the asking price for most downtown properties and you can find our best rates on the weekends. Feel free to give us a call on your next visit to San Diego.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 5 October 2012

I needed to visit a customer in eastern Tijuana very early in the morning. This hotel is in the perfect spot. East of San Diego on the new I-905 extension, this property is within two minutes of the border crossing. The room was clean, the staff spoke English perfectly, and the property was easy to find and access. The carpeting is a little beaten, but that was about the only negative. The breakfast was hot and quick. I had to leave my car there during the day with my luggage in the trunk, but no one messed with it. I parked so that my car was visible from the front desk. I guess there were easier targets for the crash n' go vandals, and even though the parking is open to anyone, there was a rather forbidding looking black iron fence that gave the impression of security. Also, the property is on a dead end cul de sac. I would stay here again (and probably will).

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Robert C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Diego Otay Mesa, responded to this review, 21 October 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for the great 4 star review. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. You will be happy to know that the next time you stay with us the carpet and vinyl in the corridors will have a fresh and new look as we are replacing them. We look forward to having you stay with us the next time you are in San Diego.
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 31 August 2012 via mobile

Everything is new and clean great staff the location is a little out of its way very close to the border the price is a bit high but like i said is very clean i love the breakfast pancakes yummy :) the staff is very friendly and always go out of it was to help you with any issues and it very quiet during the night i love it and i will go back everytime i need away from home place

• Stayed February 2012
Rick G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Diego Otay Mesa, responded to this review, 1 October 2012
I want to thank you for taking time out of your day to leave such nice comments about the hotel. We really appreciate your feedback and kind words. The pancake machine is a big hit here and hopefully you can come out and experience it again when you are in the area. If you book on our Holiday Inn website you can prepay your room that will give you a niec discount. Once again thank you and you are always welcomed back to the hotel.

Thank you.

Rick Garcia
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 8 August 2012

Very clean and comfy. Close to freeway. Family and business friendly. Close to Mexican border. Very quiet location in business area. Breakfast provided and was very good. Staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed August 2012
Rick G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Diego Otay Mesa, responded to this review, 28 August 2012
I would like to take the time to thank you for taking time out of your day to write this review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We strive for cleanliness and great guest service and I am glad you were able to notice both. Once again we thank you for your kind words and welcome you back to Otay Mesa, anytime.

Thank you.
Reviewed 4 August 2012

Located in an industrial area across the border. Smelled of body odor as we entered. The room was ok. Bed was ok , bathroom had real granite. Had a refrigerator and micro in office. Good laundry room. It is one of the older HI Expresses. Has some wear. Will not stat here again unless just necessary. Old TV--no flat screen. Furniture is dated.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Rory C
Rick G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Diego Otay Mesa, responded to this review, 8 August 2012
I am very sorry to hear about your stay was not up to standard. We strive for cleanliness and guest service here at the property. Please email me so we can discuss your stay and experience. rgarcia@t4shotels.com I would really like to turn your experience around. I look forward to hearing back from you. Thank you.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 2 August 2012

I have been a Priority Club member with Holiday in for several years. I travel frequently. I had over 200 hotel nights in 2011. My business was to take me to the Holiday Inn Express in Otay Mesa next week. I somehow reserved a room that had to be guarenteed with payment in advance. I don't generally do that and I didn't mean to do it this time but I did. Murphy was an optimist. My travel plans changed only three days before my trip. I called the hotel directly and Arturo at the front desk was so gracious to allow me to cancel my reservation with no fee. It appears that Holiday Inn understands customer loyalty and how to create it.

I stayed at this hotel in June of this year and it was very clean and the staff was extremely helpful, warm, and friendly. While there isn't a lot to do in the immediate area of the hotel, if you have business in Tijuana and want a hotel that is safe, no-nonsense, quiet, close to the border, with a nice breakfast and exercise area, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
I am glad to hear that you were taken care of. We always want to make sure our priority members are happy and taken care of and I am very happy we were able to make the guest experience memorable for you. Thank you very much for taking the time and sharing your kind words and compliments. We would love to have you back at the hotel, anytime. Thank you.
Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed 19 July 2012

Located at the end of a cul de sac in an industrial park. A very quiet area. The rooms were very clean, nice linen, staff was very friendly. The breakfast buffet was outstanding. The coffee was a good quality, there were eggs every morning prepaired in different ways. I was very pleased with the cheese omelets and the different breakfast meats in the morning. There were 4 different juices to choose from and the cinnamom rolls were to die for. We enjoyed a four day stay at this property.
Now the down side. This lovely property was also located within 1 mile of the Mexican Border. This hotel locks the front door at 8pm and you can only enter with your room key. This and the many border patrol cars that circle the area is a bit concerning. There were no incidents, and I would stay at this hotel again. In hind site, I might have appreciated having this additional knowledge to base my decision.

Room Tip: This hotel is about 30 minutes from Sea World and the San Diego Zoo. This was also a good choice if...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank oldnursie
Thank you very much for the feedback. I am glad you enjoyed your stay here at the hotel. As far as the door being locked after 8pm, we do not do it because we are close to the border. We do it to control the safety of the associates working the front desk during the night shift. We have never had an incident at the property or in the area. We are big on hotel, guest, and associate safety. We see it as a easier way of controlling who walks in or out of the hotel. Most small hotels also participate in this practice. Besides that im glad everything went well and we welcome you back again. Thank you.