Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Diego Otay Mesa
Ranked #176 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Sparks, Nevada
“Great value”
Reviewed 10 April 2013

I stayed here for business. The staff was friendly and the room was large, clean, and comfortable.

The hotel is in an industrial area right on the Mexican border. It seems to be frequented by blue collar type business travelers who go to bed early and don't make much noise.

This is not a high-end hotel. The breakfast is your typical mediocre budget-hotel type breakfast and you have to take your own bags up to your room. For the very reasonable price, however, you get a huge, clean, modern room. It's perfect for business travelers or even for budget-minded families who need to stay in Otay.

This is a great place to stay for people who have business in Tijuana but prefer to stay on the US side. It's just minutes from the Otay Mesa crossing, which tends to be a lot quicker than San Ysidro.

Room Tip: All the rooms are huge and clean.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank BonnieandPolo
Greg W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Diego Otay Mesa, responded to this review, 12 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay here in Otay Mesa. While we may not have a bellman to assist with your luggage here at the hotel, please feel free to ask the front desk for any assistance if needed. Any of our employees (including myself) would be more than happy to assist you bringing in your luggage.

Hope to see you soon on your next visit!

Greg Williams

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Surprisingly easy to find - it's not accessed directly off the main highway. Just follow the satnav. Other reviewers say horrible location - but you choose this location because you WANT to be there so for me it was actually excellent. Large car park, quick and friendly check in. Priority Club membership recognised with upgrade to suite, not that it made much difference on a short overnight stay, Got the impression regular rooms would be very spacious.

No bar or restaurant in the hotel - a number of eateries about a mile east but necessitate a drive.

Only disappointment was the breakfast service - offering was standard HIEx fayre, but it was not produced quickly enough, for most of the time the hot options were empty as food was so slow being prepared as soon as any was put out it was gone. Other items needed refilling more frequently. Basically breakfast team not ready for volume of customers. Seems to be a trend in the reviews here if HIEX Otay Mesa management read them....

I'd happily stay again though if life took me to this part of the world.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Greg W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Diego Otay Mesa, responded to this review, 10 April 2013
Thank you very much for your review. I am sorry to hear about your breakfast experience. My fellow managers and I have heard the negative trend about how slow the turnover of the food is taking so we are currently in the process of fixing these issues. I hope to exceed your expectations next time you come to the Holiday Inn Express Otay Mesa!

New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 7 April 2013 via mobile

Really nice big rooms, great service. I thought I was getting lost following the GPS. REALLY horrible location. I suppose if I were going to take day trips into Tijuana it would be a great location. Only a few blocks from the border. Was a really great value. I look forward to staying there again in the near future.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank TopherJ
Thank you very much for your kind words towards our guest rooms and our customer service. We at the Holiday Inn Express Otay Mesa take pride in the service that we deliver to every guest.

I hope to see you on your next visit!

Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 3 April 2013

This hotel was alright... a basic room for an alright price (through Priceline) however the hotel was very hard to find, even with a GPS and it's the LAST U.S. exit before the Mexico border. It seemed safe, but the breakfast was awful, and the staff was only mildly helpful. Breakfast was never refilled and I was there for 30 min. It was empty when I got there.

Room Tip: The room was not an issue. It was large, roomy and clean. AC was pretty quiet. Tub was extremely sli...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank SHLEAON B
Thank you for your review. The location of our property is perfect for anyone doing business down in the Otay Mesa area or anyone looking to head into Tijuana. We do, however, get a great deal of guests that will decide to take a 20 minute drive south of downtown to stay at our location since we can offer a more economical friendly rate.

I do apologize about the breakfast. We are currently working to make our breakfast more efficient during our high demand periods.

I hope that you will give us another chance to win you back.

Kamloops, Canada
Reviewed 3 April 2013

I was coming back from the Baja missions trip with a team of 25 young people. We were early and tired. The front desk staff Gloria, Andrea, and Raul all bent over backwards to help us with early check in and find a meeting place to debrief. Thanks also to Joanna who helped us find a great buffet to feed our hungry team for not much money. In the morning we had to leave before 6:00 am breakfast so Raul brought out a flat of muffins and milk boxes. We were impressed with the effort of every staff we came in contact with. We also got an extremely reasonable group price. The location is just off main routes and only about 25 minutes from the airport. Good value. Great people.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank 879JayD
Thank you so much for your awesome response. I am so glad that everyone here at the hotel was able to go above and beyond for you and your group, especially the select few that you mentioned.

Comments like this really make my job worthwhile and reminds me why I am in the hospitality business.

Thank you again for your kind words and hopefully I get to meet you on your next journey down to Otay Mesa.

Pepperell, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 February 2013

I stayed at the Holiday Inn & Suites in Otay Mesa a week ago with my husband, who was on a business trip. We were very happy with the facilities and found the staff to be very charming and helpful. I would particularly like to say thank you to Gloria at the front desk for being so helpful with my many questions about local transportation, etc. Thanks also to Genesis who did such a good job in making our room comfortable. Although the hotel is about a half hour drive from San Diego, it is only a quarter mile from the Otay Mesa Border Crossing. As there is breakfast bar, gym and outdoor pool, it would also be a nice place to stay for families wanting to travel into Tijuana. We would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: I would request a room on the upper floor next time, as we were on the 2nd floor and had a noisy nei...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Christine B
Greg W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Diego Otay Mesa, responded to this review, 11 March 2013
I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. As you could tell from Gloria and Genesis, our staff takes pride in every guest's stay and makes sure that you feel at home when you are a guest of ours. I hope to see you next time you visit the San Diego area.

San Diego, California
Reviewed 10 February 2013

I had a wonderful week long stay at this hotel. It was absolutely awesome. The rooms were immaculate and I felt safe the entire time I was there. The hotel staff were always pleasant with me. The breakfast was good as well although very heavy on the carbs. The location is quite a distance from San Diego and extremely close to Tijuana. The hotel is located in the center of an industrial business park.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank anointedhelp
Greg W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Diego Otay Mesa, responded to this review, 21 February 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your wonderful review. I'm so happy to hear all the nice things you had to stay about the hotel. The staff works very hard to make every guest's stay an enjoyable one.

As our breakfast does have a good amount of carbs, we also offer other options as well. If you are looking for something in particular, feel free to ask the breakfast attendant to see if we may have more options in the kitchen.

Hope to see you soon!