Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Diego Otay Mesa
Ranked #169 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

Hotel a bitt dirty at least the guest room seem that way. Location may be ideal for business not south to do around the area. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Outdoor pool was a nice touch provide fun for the kids. Location is close to the boarder if you plan to go. Also very close to imperial beach

• Stayed: August 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Diego Otay Mesa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

Dear Elkco2009,

Thank you for your business and your review. Also, thank you for pointing out the convenience of our location to business travelers and I am pleased that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful.

I am truly sorry to hear that your stay didn't live up to your expectations. I sincerely apologize for the dissatisfaction you had with our level of cleanliness. We take all comments seriously and value the chance to make improvements where possible.

We welcome feedback as it assists us in our never-ending task to better ourselves and improve things for our guests. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests. Once again, thank you for your comments.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 7 July 2013

We booked 4 nights. I had read on the reviews that the place was far out but I didn't realize how far. We experienced a few issues during our stay: dirty back entry (nasty carpet , dirty walls by the elevator) and with the room. The ottoman footstool had a bloodstain on it. When I called down to the front desk to get it replaced, they told me to bring it down ...wth ?!? So I did, logged it down in the elevator and to the front desk. They then brought a new one up to the room a few minutes later . The carpet had stains on it. When I ran a bath for one of my kids, the drain plug got stuck and we couldn't drain the tub. I called down and the lady said "there is no one to fix this til tomorrow". Okay , fine, we can deal, stuff happens . I asked her to make sure to send someone first thing in the am so we could take a shower (5 of us, 3 little kids on the beach, we need showers!!) No one ever came. To top it off, the foldout couch had springs missing so my kids legs kept on falling off the edge and when i unfolded the spare blanket it had gross stains on it. At this point I went to talk to the manager Amanda. She was super sweet, professional and accommodating and offered to make it right by comping us one night . I told her not to bother, I know stuff happens , but to fix the problems. I got a call later that it was all fixed. We came back late that night after dinner , and when I went to give the kids a bath...same drain issue. I called down again , explained the story and was told -again- no one is here to fix your problem tonight. I told the clerk that Amanda has said last night this was an unacceptable response and she said "well, I don't know what to tell you". I thought I had misheard her (who says that to a guest?) so I asked her to repeat it and she did !! She followed up with "well if you can't figure out the drain yourself i guess I can come up there myself and fix it". I didnt want to lose my cool with her for her unbelievably rude response so i told her to get a hold of Amanda and have her call me and hung up. I waited an hour and when we were ready to leave for dinner I went down to the front desk to check. The lady had totally changed her attitude and told me that she spoke to Amanda and they would be comping two nights now. I hadn't asked for it but gladly took it at this point because it was getting to be a little too much. The clerk looked like she was stressed out with checking in a lot of guests so I left well enough alone, i've been stressed out and put on the spot before and know how it is. they did try very very hard to make us happy. We got our two night refund and were happy to try the place again, but then came the last straw later that night . We had asked for turn down service and when we came back from a late dinner, we found a note the maid had left on the bed . It said "sorry but I cannot make your bed if you leave personal items on it". The "personal item" was my 3 year old's stuffed animal which he had left on his pillow. Wtf?!? You can't move a 4 inch stuffed animal to make the bed and put it back on the pillow? Lazy is too good a word for that. Anyways, nothing earth shattering went wrong just a lot of little annoyances that add up. The staff is sweet and the management is amazing. If you had a different room with no cleaning issues it would probably be a great stay. We will not try again simply because its so far but I will definitely try another holiday inn based on the overall treatment I received, very nice personnel.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank thekremers
Greg W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Diego Otay Mesa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate with the difficulties you faced during your stay with us that prevented you from fully enjoying your visit. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction. I hope to exceed your expectations next time you come to the Holiday Inn Express Otay Mesa! Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed 10 June 2013

This is a very nice hotel with large rooms and comfortable beds....BUT you are right next to the border. As in you can spit and hit the border! The area is very industrial with not a lot of restaurants. There is an area about 6 miles north that has tons of restaurants and shops. The breakfast was plentiful but the pancake maker machine was broken. We were really looking forward to the pancakes! TV, microwave and fridge in each room. Tried the fitness room with no complaints. Quiet area for a good night's sleep.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your review. The location of our property is perfect for anyone doing business down in the Otay Mesa area or anyone looking to head into Tijuana. We do, however, get a great deal of guests that will decide to take a 20 minute drive south of downtown to stay at our location since we can offer a more economical friendly rate. I do apologize about the breakfast. I hope that you will give us another chance to win you back.

Reviewed 1 June 2013

You know you are in a hotel where management is not in tune with the conditions of the facility when a) you find that the equipment in the fitness center is old and functioning poorly and the remote for the TV doesn't work and b) you have a problem with the toilet flushing in your bathroom and upon further investigation you find that the plunger in the tank is being held together by an old rusted paperclip. (Room 216 by the way). I had stayed at this place before and it seemed ok at the time, but it is clear that the place is starting to get run down, and there doesn't appear to be the sort of concerted effort you would expect at a HIE to address facility issues. It just sort of seemed like the place has been built entirely on the cheap. I'll look for another HIE next time I'm there.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank ThinRock
Greg W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Diego Otay Mesa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2013

Thank you for your review. WOW I can't believe we missed the mark so badly. I would like the opportunity to discuss the concerns you have regarding your previous stay. You can contact me at gmhixom@t4shotels.com. I look forward to hearing from you and I hope that the next time you are in San Diego, you will give our location a second chance to WOW you.

Thanks again for your review and I hope to hear from you soon!

Reviewed 12 April 2013

Stayed here as a platinum member on a rewards stay. 25 minutes drive to downtown San Diego/ Gaslamp; Literally 1/4 mile north of the border, take the last USA exit off the 905 to get here or you'll hit Mexico! Gas stations and a McDs are very nearby. The area is very much the business district/distribution.

Plenty of free parking out front. The room was as expected for an HIX...a good standard. Breakfast was served 6-9 a.m. which seemed a bit keen for a leisure traveler and meant a big rush/queue at 830; an email to the manager Greg Williams (thank you for the reply) revealed that they are moving this to 7-10 at the weekend. The rates at the weekend ($63 + Tax at priorityclub . com ) are very low and as always include an easy breakfast & wifi; a great value place to stay if you're happy with the drive into SD (I was). Would I return? With a low rate this needs to be balanced against the drive; either pay double and up and stay around Gaslamp and pay for parking or here...great for a family or friends stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Greg W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Diego Otay Mesa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2013

Thank you for your review. As you stated, and as I stated to you in our email correspondence, we will be changing our breakfast times on the weekends to better suit our leisure travelers. We are currently awaiting for our appropriate signage so we can display the correct times for breakfast. I estimate that the breakfast times will be changed by May 1st, just before the start of our busy season.

Thanks again for your review and I hope to see you again on your next visit to San Diego!

Reviewed 10 April 2013

I stayed here for business. The staff was friendly and the room was large, clean, and comfortable.

The hotel is in an industrial area right on the Mexican border. It seems to be frequented by blue collar type business travelers who go to bed early and don't make much noise.

This is not a high-end hotel. The breakfast is your typical mediocre budget-hotel type breakfast and you have to take your own bags up to your room. For the very reasonable price, however, you get a huge, clean, modern room. It's perfect for business travelers or even for budget-minded families who need to stay in Otay.

This is a great place to stay for people who have business in Tijuana but prefer to stay on the US side. It's just minutes from the Otay Mesa crossing, which tends to be a lot quicker than San Ysidro.

Room Tip: All the rooms are huge and clean.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank BonnieandPolo
Greg W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Diego Otay Mesa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay here in Otay Mesa. While we may not have a bellman to assist with your luggage here at the hotel, please feel free to ask the front desk for any assistance if needed. Any of our employees (including myself) would be more than happy to assist you bringing in your luggage.

Hope to see you soon on your next visit!

Reviewed 8 April 2013

Surprisingly easy to find - it's not accessed directly off the main highway. Just follow the satnav. Other reviewers say horrible location - but you choose this location because you WANT to be there so for me it was actually excellent. Large car park, quick and friendly check in. Priority Club membership recognised with upgrade to suite, not that it made much difference on a short overnight stay, Got the impression regular rooms would be very spacious.

No bar or restaurant in the hotel - a number of eateries about a mile east but necessitate a drive.

Only disappointment was the breakfast service - offering was standard HIEx fayre, but it was not produced quickly enough, for most of the time the hot options were empty as food was so slow being prepared as soon as any was put out it was gone. Other items needed refilling more frequently. Basically breakfast team not ready for volume of customers. Seems to be a trend in the reviews here if HIEX Otay Mesa management read them....

I'd happily stay again though if life took me to this part of the world.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Greg W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Diego Otay Mesa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2013

Thank you very much for your review. I am sorry to hear about your breakfast experience. My fellow managers and I have heard the negative trend about how slow the turnover of the food is taking so we are currently in the process of fixing these issues. I hope to exceed your expectations next time you come to the Holiday Inn Express Otay Mesa!