“Housekeeping is a Huge problem”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Diego Otay Mesa
Ranked #176 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 31 December 2013

We read the reviews and were concerned. However we have stayed at HIEX in past and it was fine. This property is the closest to family we were visiting. Staying at a higher priced property would have meant dealing with too much traffic.
The staff is friendly enough!
Our room appears to not have been vacuumed in at least a year ( other than main walking area) dust piled on all perimeters- nasty!
Toilet seat was broken and just set on comode!
1st morning there was some breakfast- the next 2 days there was cereal, no OJ and some bread or a roll out. The reply was- the hotel is full we are out of food. HMMM ODD??? Tomorrow we'll just leave enough time to stop and buy breakfast.
Toilet paper. Upon arrival there was 1 full and 1 half roll. Each evening when we returned we assumed there would refresh the supply- NOPE. My husband went to front desk and was told they had none there. He said then give us Kleenex ( empty in our room entire time) The front desk opened another room and grabbed a roll.
TOWELLs - they took them 2 times and left none. Front desk tried to give us 1. One day they took our dirty TOWELLs and folded them and left them on sink.
The pool is small but clean.
The room above us must have been over capacity- they stomped until 11:30pm- the room across the hall had cigar smokers with 2 dogs. I was not aware it is a smoking pet friendly property . We had to buy spray and spray the hall as well as our room, then put a TOWELLs by door to keep smoke out! I realize the loud people above us are not the HI prob - I will go back and research the smoking and dog policy.

Although extremely convenient to where I needed to be- I'll drive further next time and get a cleaner place!

Our stay was 6 nights. Room was never vacuumed !

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Msajg
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Diego Otay Mesa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Dear Msajg,

Thank you so much for your recent comments. We appreciate you bringing your concern to our attention and apologize for any discomfort you may have experienced. I have taken note of your comments regarding housekeeping, kindly be assured that the feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Diego Otay Mesa

Reviewed 3 December 2013

A good hotel near the Tijuana border crossing. Very inconvenient to acceptable dining options (at least 20 minutes away from everything), but definitely your best choice within 5 minutes of the border. Tucked back in an industrial park (be sure to bring your GPS). Comfortable rooms, quiet and clean

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Robert C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Diego Otay Mesa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

We greatly appreciate your business and are happy to see you had such a great experience at our hotel. We hope to see you again soon for your next stay.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

Good hotel, nice service but extremely far away from everything. One street away from the Mexican border. I wouldn't advise anyone to stay here if they plan on site seeing, You waste more time driving to the places then actually enjoying your trip. But on the other hand, extremely nice service. Great breakfast.

Room Tip: Segundo andar de preferencia.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Valued Guest,

I am so pleased to hear that you encountered such great service while you stayed with us. We hope to see you the next time you visit San Diego.

Reviewed 6 August 2013

Had a week long baseball tournament for my son in the SD area and was given a great rate from Diane due to bringing other families along and being an IHG member. Staff was very friendly. Although the hotel is located in an industrial area, it was quiet, and clean. The breakfast was more than sufficient and well maintained by the staff. Hotel was very busy all week, and they did a nice job to try and keep up with the hectic morning breakfast rush. The kids enjoyed a dip in the pool between games as well.
Andrea at the front desk was very nice. always flashed a great smile, and re-coded my room key 3 times for me since the magnet in my money clip kept erasing the code to open my door.
It always amazes me how some people who write reviews key in to very minor flaws in rooms or carpet and act like they deserve some sort of compensation for minor inconvenience when they get smokin' room rates, fed, and nice people. This is not the Ritz in Newport Beach, nor does it pretend to be, but they value the business they get and will get mine again in the future.

Room Tip: Join the IHG club. they always acknowledge you and (when they can) will try to upgrade your room.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Darin M
Greg W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Diego Otay Mesa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2013

Darin, thank you for your great review! I am glad you enjoyed your stay here at the Holiday Inn Express Otay Mesa. I will be sure to pass along your great comments to the rest of the staff. It is guest like you that remind us why we do what we do. If your son is in a baseball tournament again in San Diego I hope you will choose to stay with us again. Thanks again for your feedback

Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

Hotel a bitt dirty at least the guest room seem that way. Location may be ideal for business not south to do around the area. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Outdoor pool was a nice touch provide fun for the kids. Location is close to the boarder if you plan to go. Also very close to imperial beach

• Stayed: August 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Diego Otay Mesa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

Dear Elkco2009,

Thank you for your business and your review. Also, thank you for pointing out the convenience of our location to business travelers and I am pleased that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful.

I am truly sorry to hear that your stay didn't live up to your expectations. I sincerely apologize for the dissatisfaction you had with our level of cleanliness. We take all comments seriously and value the chance to make improvements where possible.

We welcome feedback as it assists us in our never-ending task to better ourselves and improve things for our guests. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests. Once again, thank you for your comments.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 7 July 2013

We booked 4 nights. I had read on the reviews that the place was far out but I didn't realize how far. We experienced a few issues during our stay: dirty back entry (nasty carpet , dirty walls by the elevator) and with the room. The ottoman footstool had a bloodstain on it. When I called down to the front desk to get it replaced, they told me to bring it down ...wth ?!? So I did, logged it down in the elevator and to the front desk. They then brought a new one up to the room a few minutes later . The carpet had stains on it. When I ran a bath for one of my kids, the drain plug got stuck and we couldn't drain the tub. I called down and the lady said "there is no one to fix this til tomorrow". Okay , fine, we can deal, stuff happens . I asked her to make sure to send someone first thing in the am so we could take a shower (5 of us, 3 little kids on the beach, we need showers!!) No one ever came. To top it off, the foldout couch had springs missing so my kids legs kept on falling off the edge and when i unfolded the spare blanket it had gross stains on it. At this point I went to talk to the manager Amanda. She was super sweet, professional and accommodating and offered to make it right by comping us one night . I told her not to bother, I know stuff happens , but to fix the problems. I got a call later that it was all fixed. We came back late that night after dinner , and when I went to give the kids a bath...same drain issue. I called down again , explained the story and was told -again- no one is here to fix your problem tonight. I told the clerk that Amanda has said last night this was an unacceptable response and she said "well, I don't know what to tell you". I thought I had misheard her (who says that to a guest?) so I asked her to repeat it and she did !! She followed up with "well if you can't figure out the drain yourself i guess I can come up there myself and fix it". I didnt want to lose my cool with her for her unbelievably rude response so i told her to get a hold of Amanda and have her call me and hung up. I waited an hour and when we were ready to leave for dinner I went down to the front desk to check. The lady had totally changed her attitude and told me that she spoke to Amanda and they would be comping two nights now. I hadn't asked for it but gladly took it at this point because it was getting to be a little too much. The clerk looked like she was stressed out with checking in a lot of guests so I left well enough alone, i've been stressed out and put on the spot before and know how it is. they did try very very hard to make us happy. We got our two night refund and were happy to try the place again, but then came the last straw later that night . We had asked for turn down service and when we came back from a late dinner, we found a note the maid had left on the bed . It said "sorry but I cannot make your bed if you leave personal items on it". The "personal item" was my 3 year old's stuffed animal which he had left on his pillow. Wtf?!? You can't move a 4 inch stuffed animal to make the bed and put it back on the pillow? Lazy is too good a word for that. Anyways, nothing earth shattering went wrong just a lot of little annoyances that add up. The staff is sweet and the management is amazing. If you had a different room with no cleaning issues it would probably be a great stay. We will not try again simply because its so far but I will definitely try another holiday inn based on the overall treatment I received, very nice personnel.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank thekremers
Greg W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Diego Otay Mesa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate with the difficulties you faced during your stay with us that prevented you from fully enjoying your visit. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction. I hope to exceed your expectations next time you come to the Holiday Inn Express Otay Mesa! Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed 10 June 2013

This is a very nice hotel with large rooms and comfortable beds....BUT you are right next to the border. As in you can spit and hit the border! The area is very industrial with not a lot of restaurants. There is an area about 6 miles north that has tons of restaurants and shops. The breakfast was plentiful but the pancake maker machine was broken. We were really looking forward to the pancakes! TV, microwave and fridge in each room. Tried the fitness room with no complaints. Quiet area for a good night's sleep.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your review. The location of our property is perfect for anyone doing business down in the Otay Mesa area or anyone looking to head into Tijuana. We do, however, get a great deal of guests that will decide to take a 20 minute drive south of downtown to stay at our location since we can offer a more economical friendly rate. I do apologize about the breakfast. I hope that you will give us another chance to win you back.