“Our favorite Fish Tacos”

South Beach Bar & Grill
Ranked #258 of 4,773 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Mexican, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours
Neighbourhood: Ocean Beach
Cincinnati Ohio
“Our favorite Fish Tacos”
Reviewed 8 July 2009

So we did the Fish Taco crawl in San Diego. Unfortunately we went to the South Beach Bar and Grill first – and all other fish tacos paled in comparison.

The SBBG fish tacos were beautifully seasoned and had fresh cilantro and tomatoes that went well with the red cabbage and mystery sauce. Of all the fish tacos, these had the best overall taste experience. The fish actually tasted like they took the time to get it well seasoned and cooked so it still had some moistness to it. We preferred the grilled to the fried fish.

If you want a little extra heat try the pineapple salsa.

We also we went to Wahoos, The Blue Water Grill and a few other places not worth mentioning. But in my fish taco dreams, it’s all about the South Beach Bar and Grill. Worth fighting your way in to get a seat.

1 Thank baraseth

• Polish first
San Diego, California
“Great tacos overrule the place's annoyances”
Reviewed 28 June 2009

I never liked fish tacos until I came here. A friend from out of town brought me here. The fish tacos are excellent and the fish is really fresh. They put some kind of mysterious white sauce on top of the tacos, making them very moist, even wet, without being soggy. Every bite spreads out in your mouth like a warm, creamy blanket. I think the sensuous texture you feel in your mouth is a major reason for the popularity of the tacos here. Nothing spartan or utilitarian about them: this is pleasure food. At happy hour the prices are reduced but the place becomes even more crowded. And they have a lot of unusual beers on tap, ones that you've never heard of. The only drawbacks to this place are that it gets extremely crowded at certain times (like happy hour), they take cash only, and the music is kind of a bizarre selection of incongruous jukebox songs that you don't hear often. The last time we were there two awful songs were played, which nearly killed the mood of the place, but everyone just ignored them and kept on talking and eating. Ocean Beach is a music-loving neighborhood (there's probably a guy playing a guitar on the sidewalk right now, hoping you'll drop some cash into his guitar case) and it seems like it would be easy for them to find someone with real musical taste to give the place some real music. And they could consider taking debit cards in addition to cash. That might increase their sales. But the fish tacos are the big attraction here. I'm unclear on the issue some people have complained about having to buy your drinks separately. Is that just for mixed drinks? We ordered our tacos and our beer from the waitress who came to our table, so maybe that rule about having to go to the bar to get your drinks doesn't apply to beer, only to mixed drinks. Who knows. Yet another local urban mystery. I do know that when we went there early one day (before lunch) and I ordered a Dr. Pepper, they kept refilling it so many times that I felt like a walking Dr. Pepper truck.

2 Thank sunrisesandiego
Dallas, Texas
“Choose the Fried Fish Taco”
Reviewed 25 April 2009

Different from most with Red Cabbage but Excellent. I think the fried was better than the grilled. The cheese fries were very good, but elevated to excellent with the ranch they serve with them. I usually don't care for ranch dressing but this was excellent.

1 Thank Macciatto
Scotia, NY
“So good we went there twice!”
Reviewed 24 April 2009

I read about the fish tacos before we headed out to California and hoped we have time to stop here and eat. We did our first day and the delicious mahi and baja tacos tasted delicious. We had the sampler the first time and came back for more at the end of our trip. There was a cash only sign up the first day so we paid cash when we went back but I don't know if that is their everyday policy. The atmosphere is lively and they have all kinds of specials on beer and drinks running daily. Not to be missed!

1 Thank Susaperson
Kansas City
“Amazing”
Reviewed 19 February 2009

The fish, lobster, shrimp tacos are some of the most amazing things I have ever eaten. One of the most memorable meals I have ever had.