“Great Hip n Cool Boutique Hotel”
Review of The Pearl Hotel

The Pearl Hotel
Ranked #23 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
san diego
“Great Hip n Cool Boutique Hotel”
Reviewed 9 August 2013

My wife and I reserved the entire hotel for all of our wedding guests in late July 2013. Perfect size for an intimate group (22 rooms i think) vs. being mixed into a large hotel. We had direct communication with the hotel director (?), Nicolena, to help setup special information for all the guests upon arrival and some goodies in all of our guests rooms. The Hotel has a uber-cool bar next to the pool which was a great waterhole where all of our wedding guests congregated. I felt at home and laid back. Though most of our party stayed 1-2 nights we personally extended our stay an additional night (and we live about a mile away). Oh yeah, parking was a breeze, right up front for a few extra bucks per night. All in all, it lived up to the great word of mouth recommendations from friends.

1 Thank rammy c
ModernTraveler10, Owner at The Pearl Hotel, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Thank you very very very much for your thoughtful review. Glad you had a great time during your stay. Please come stay with us again soon. We appreciate your support. Tell a friend.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
Bordeaux, France
Reviewed 6 August 2013

After reading the reviews, we knew this hotel could be noisy... and it was!!
But we had decided to give it a go based onf reviewers telling about the good vibe and character of the place.
Having requested a quiet room, we were given #12, which is as remote from the road as possible. Even though, it was impossible to sleep without earplugs. The banging party music and the kids shouting in the pool stopped by 6pm, which was good. But the noise of road traffic went on all night. Just as if we were sleeping on the side of a busy freeway.
On the good side, the room was nice, clean, bed comfortable, nicely furnished and free wifi.
Check-in staff was OK, check-out just acceptable.
Having said that, for the price charged, which is, as others have said, just slightly above Motel 6, I guess we can't really complain. You get what you pay for.
And again, it is a cute little place, just not really a hotel. At least for those travelers who expect some sleep at night.

Room Tip: #12 is as quiet as they can provide, and it is still very noisy from heavy road traffic noise.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank atlantic333
Our property is on a busier street, but typically has very little traffic at night. we are near the end of Rosecrans before it goes into a residential neighborhood. Most nights there is a car going by our little hotel every minute or 2. Very Sorry if it had a busier traffic flow during your stay.

appreciate your kind comments on our environment. We are priced just above a Motel 6 price but offer considerably more boutique amenities and experiences. 300 thread count linens, Spa H2O bath products, flat screen TV's and amazing beds to name a few things in the room.

outside pool is amazing, staff is awesome and overall environment and design carefully curated.
Orange County, Calif.
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Like a few others, I wanted to like this hotel. It's cute. Funky. Upbeat. But I had awful problems. Parking is abysmal (for 23 rooms they have 10 spots for guests, and you have to buy a voucher to use them) otherwise it's very hard to find street parking (all old, crowded apartment buildings nearby so street parking is at a huge premium) - you may have to park blocks away. TV in my room didn't work at all - it said "no signal." Cordless phone in the room was lacking the actual PHONE. And the noise from the bar & restaurant just feet away from my room - OMG - it was awful. I don't recommend this hotel if you're "of a certain age." The platform beds are quite low - not so easy for older people to use. The raw lumber frames under the bed could be a real hazard if you bumped into it in the dark. If you're young and hip and love loud music, this place IS for you. The place rocks until late. And for all this I paid $229. No bargain for sure in my book.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
The Pearl Hotel can be a lively hotel at times. our guests like to have fun and enjoy our amazing environment. we are sensitive to noise as well, closing the outside pool area at 10pm during the week and 11pm on the weekends.
we only have 10 parking spaces, most nights they are not all taken but when they are there is ample parking in the neighborhood within a block of the property. Guests are welcome to use our loading and unloading area. I wish we had more parking. Alot of our guests like to save the $$$$ and park on the street. more $ to spend on our amazing food and crafty drinks.
Our property is not for all guests, but we do strive to create the best guest experience we possibly can.
La Jolla, California
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Earlier this summer I stayed at The Pearl Hotel for a night. Aside from the staff being some of the nicest and most helpful I've ever encountered the food and drinks were really great. The building itself has a great sense of "fun" and "playfulness" that the staff and the other guests feed off of and I met a lot of really nice and interesting people that evening.

I definitely would stay there again and look forward to more great stays at The Pearl.

Room Tip: Terrific Sunday brunch with a great crowd.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
ModernTraveler10, Owner at The Pearl Hotel, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
On behalf of the entire Pearl Hotel crew. THANK YOU for your support and kind review. We appreciate it. Please tell a friend and come stay with us again soon.
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Don't judge a book by the first page; we arrived on a Sunday evening after a long drive from LA where we had been staying at the Hyatt Andaz in Hollywood so expectations were high & comfort was needed. I had high expectations of the Pearl already set by reviews on trip advisor & pictures on Pinterest. First impressions were not as we thought due to a subdued arrival, cloudy weather and a room with an air con unit above the bed. However by the following evening we knew we had chosen the right place; when the restaurant is buzzing, the cocktails are flowing & the staff have a chance to chat the Pearl is a great place to be. Restaurant food was incredible. Drinks were very interesting (habanero beer, great cocktails, lovely wines) our waitress Jessie (I think) was friendly, informative & great fun and by the end of the evening we had fallen in love with The Pearl's unique retro relaxed vibe. After another evening in the restaurant & another day exploring San Diego we extended our stay by an extra night. The pool is lovely, by day (for a dip) or night (to sit around), there are games to play in the snug seated area indoors, free coffee in the mornings, staff on hand with great recommendations, free bikes to rent... So much more than your expectations of a motel.
The fact that locals come to use the restaurant adds to the great vibe. One night a local film group had an event on which just added to the interesting feel of the place, we watched the film on the big screen over the pool whilst we ate. Sadly we weren't around for the dive in movie night.

Greg, the owner, helped put us in touch with a friend who has a motel in Santa Barbara for the next leg of our trip; it was great to meet him & make full advantage of his knowledge & contacts for the next night. Thanks Greg!

Out of all the places we stayed on our 2 week coastal roadtrip The Pearl was definitely our favourite for ambiance & unique charm. I don't think we got the best room in the place but it didn't seem to matter as it got us out & about to enjoy the rest of the Pearl by chilling out in the social areas, I don't like feeling confined to a room on a trip anyway.

Ps the room has a fish which is a lovely little touch although ours slept most of the time!

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room- which we got. But I shouldn't have been so fussy. I think there were...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Thanks for the detailed review. Really appreciate it. It was a true pleasure meeting you. Glad we were your favorite place to stay on your trip. It's guest like you that make this business so worthwhile.

Hope you will come visit us again. Please tell a friend. Cheers, g
Phoenix
Reviewed 4 August 2013

My wife, myself, and my 4 year old daughter were looking for a budget minded hotel for 5 nights in San Diego so we could spend more on activities than a bed and we came across The Pearl on here. Although it is not really marketed toward frumpy parents with an active little girl I booked it because the price was so great and the reviews were so complimentary. Very glad we did. The staff were nice and very attentive to the small requests that came up and were very friendly with my daughter. Movie night was great, I was able to watch 'The Graduate' from the room window. We did enjoy the pool one morning which my daughter wanted to jump into immediately upon arriving. It made for a very relaxing and lazy morning after a full day at Sea World, which is just a few minutes away. The room was indeed small but the bed was incredibly comfortable and my kid enjoyed 'camping' on the floor. It was a little noisy from the bar but not as bad as some paper thin major brand hotels I've stayed at. We were able to find parking on site each night although we did have to move our car twice due to space issues and trash pick up, but what are you going to do? The hotel was built a long time ago and uses the entire lot on which it was built so it is what it is.
The only downsides I saw were the refundable $50 PER NIGHT security deposit which was $250 for our 5 night stay. I can't imagine why it would be needed for all the nights and since we travel on a strict budget and don't charge anything this cut into our available fun money. Also, when my wife checked out, she was told our balance was $50 for the parking and $5 dollars that the hotel was donating to a community charity. The parking was expected but the 'donation' that we were being involuntarily charged for was not. My wife did not want to make a big deal about it so just ok'd it but it left a bad taste in our mouths to be told we were donating $5 to some local charity without being asked. Would have been a 5 star rating without those monetary issues.
Over all it was a good value in a great location.

Room Tip: We had room 13, upstairs over the pool, noise was never a problem as it quieted down enough by 1030...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Thanks for the detailed review!!!!!! Really appreciate it. sounds like you had a great time. I will discuss the challenge on security deposit with our front desk supervisor. It appears we could have done a better job communicating the parking and donation to our non profit foundation. Your comments are taken seriously and will be discussed.

One of our company core values is "give back" to the community. 100% of the donations go to 501 C3 non profits that support education and arts.

Please come visit us again soon. we appreciate your support. Glad you daughter enjoyed the pool!!!! Tell a friend.
Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2013

I really wanted to love this place, like most of the other reviewers, but just didn't. We stayed here as part of a West Coast road trip, and I thought it would be one of my favourite hotels. It looked fun and cool, and I thought it would be a little bit of luxury on a budget.

Our room was comfortable enough, if a little small, with quite a low bed. It looked quite funky at first glance, but a bit shabby underneath. This is not the type of furnishing that will wear or age well. Each room has a goldfish. I thought this would be fun, but it was in a tiny bowl, under a hot light, and it looked bored. It made me feel quite sad!

The restaurant and bar were great, as were all of the waiting staff. They were super friendly and made us feel very welcome. Yummy cocktails, and the champagne was included in the "half price wine on Tuesdays" offer. Food was also great. Be careful if you have a voucher for two free cocktails on the Essentials package. We had two beers before our cocktails and it was these they wanted to redeem the voucher against. Massive price difference, so watch out for that.

We were also there on a Wednesday, which is Dive In Movie night where they show an old movie on a large screen, at the pool. I was super excited about this and asked for advice on the best time to make a dinner reservation, so we could eat and watch at the same time. Silly me for assuming this would mean we wouldn't be allocated one of the very few tables where you can't actually see the screen. They did sort it out, but I wasn't very impressed it happened in the first place.

From this hotel we visited Sea World and San Diego old town (where we caught the trolley tour). With a car, it was very handy for these places.

If you embrace the experience of this place as a whole, you might love it. Simply as a hotel, without using the bar and restaurant, I think you'd be disappointed.

Room Tip: All rooms are around the pool and are noisy until about 11pm. We saw in the window of a Gem room, a...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Thanks for the review. Very sorry if there was some confusion on Dive In Movie reservations. We always give our hotel guest priority for restaurant reservations. Guest experience is a top priority, I have discussed your comments with the front desk supervisor and will be addressing restaurant/dive in movie reservations at check in in greater detail. I hope you will come visit us again soon. Tell a friend.