“Great value and fun atmosphere”
Review of The Pearl Hotel

The Pearl Hotel
Ranked #38 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed a total of ten nights while in town on business.

I would consider this more of a motel than a hotel. The price is too good to pass up for a place with very good reviews when compared to the other options in the vicinity of downtown.

Each night the bar/restaurant on the ground floor draws an eclectic mix. The food and drinks are outstanding and the movies shown in the courtyard each Wednesday night make for a fun atmosphere.

The rooms are very simple, but nice.

The main issue I had was with the noise level in the room. Even with a room at the back of the building, the early morning traffic noise from the busy street on which the Pearl is located easily was enough to wake a person and keep them up.

Facility parking is not free, but there is ample street parking a block away.

Don't check out before trying the Brussels sprouts at the restaurant.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
ModernTraveler10, Owner at The Pearl Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Appreciate you taking time to leave us a review. truly appreciate your support and comments. Please come visit us again soon. Tell a Friend.

There are newer reviews for The Pearl Hotel

Reviewed 6 February 2014

While we didn't stay overnight, we went to EAT at The Pearl for a birthday a couple weeks back and the service was phenomenal. Sarah took excellent care of the entire party and the birthday girl had an amazing time. Couldn't have asked for a better night! My friends who stayed the night said they loved the rooms (though I actually haven't been in them since I live down the street). Can't wait to come back for brunch in the summertime.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you very much for your support. We appreciate you leaving a review. Please come stay with us. Our restaurant is amazing and our hotel stays are equally as great. Tell a friend.

Reviewed 6 February 2014

What a gem! This little quaint and quirky hotel was an excellent find. It is near the airport and downtown San Diego and very easy to find. We only stayed one night at the end of our trip but I wished we could have stayed longer.

The room was neat and efficient with a couple of nice surprises. There was a real plant and a live fish that gave the room a homey feel. We had dinner by the pool and the food was fantastic. Everything was fresh and flavorful.

The staff all went out of their way to make us feel welcome and were willing to help me with a last minute business that came up. I highly recommend this lovely little hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
ModernTraveler10, Owner at The Pearl Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

On Behalf of the entire Pearl Hotel crew. THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your review. We appreciate your support and hope you will visit us again soon. Tell a friend.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

If you are looking for a unique and one of a kind experience then The Pearl Hotel is a must! The service was exceptional, the ambiance was to die for, the rooms were clean and classy, and the experience was like nothing I have ever had before! I wish that we could have stayed longer but we will definitely be back! Special thanks to Alyssa for her fantastic service with billing! It is greatly appreciated!

Room Tip: Not a bad one in the house! Our room even had a Beta Fish named Duke! Little touches like that mak...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kristen M
ModernTraveler10, Owner at The Pearl Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Thank you very much for your review. We appreciate your support and look forward to you coming to stay with us again in the near future. Gratitude. Please tell a friend.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

This weekend I had a birthday party & bachelorette party at The Pearl. Tony & Brian made both of the events so special. Everything was excellent...but the people are what make this jewel of a hotel stand out! I cannot thank them enough for make both of the guests of honors feel so celebrated. You guys are fabulous!!!

• Stayed: January 2014

Most Important. Happy Birthday!!!!. Hope you had a very special day. Thanks for celebrating it with us. we are honored. Will pass on the kind words about Tony and Brian. Hope you will come stay with us again soon. Tell a friend.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

I had been to the Pearl once before for a girls night out. I fell in love with the place. We got a table out by the pool and quickly discovered they play movies on their giant screen. It was summer and the pool was packed, guests were partying in the pool but overall it was a classy and fun place!
Last Friday night I brought my boyfriend in for his birthday dinner. We ordered their 5 cheese course and the black mussels for appetizers. The cheese plate was phenomenal! The portions were generous and the cheeses mouth watering. We ended up ordering extra bread and it came with roasted garlic, it was incredible!! My boyfriend ordered the NY steak and he was literally chewing with his eyes closed and doing a happy dance in his chair! I had the butternut squash ravioli. It was also delicious but a little too sweet for me, might have been the amaretto. They have a great selection of beers and cocktails. We had the NY cheesecake for dessert. .Our server brought it out with a sparkler, it was a nice touch!
Adrienne the Manager came to check on us a few times, she is very sweet and personable, her staff is on point! If you're looking for a hip, underrated boutique hotel with a superb menu this is the spot!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

On behalf of the entire crew at the Pearl Hotel, Thank you very much for your detailed review. Glad to hear you had a great experience. Honored to have you as our guests. come visit us again soon. We appreciate the support. Tell a Friend.

Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

I am a San Diego resident and a mother of one. That being said weekend getaways and vacations with the hubby are few and far between. I love finding new local spots for a little staycation every now and then. The Pearl Hotel is my new favorite gem. The location is great. You are close to the beach and several delicious resturants. AND if you don't want to leave the property there is an amazing resturant onsite. They offer local ingredients along side craft beers and cocktails.

I read a lot of reviews mentioning the awesome decor, free wifi, and rad outdoor theatre. Agreed!! One thing I don't see mentioned is that they offer free bike rental on a first come first serve basis. San Diego is a great city to see via bike. And if you eat in the resturant on your birthday your meal is free!

All in all great job Pearl Hotel! I will be back for years to come.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Courtney H

Thank you so much for your review. We strive to offer a lot of value for an affordable price. Glad you took notice to the free/complimentary bike usage. Most hotels charge a rental fee. Hope you will come stay with us again soon. Locals rule!!!! Tell a friend.