“Favorite Hotel :)”
Review of The Pearl Hotel

The Pearl Hotel
Ranked #47 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 2 September 2014

Every time I'm in San Diego, I stay here. This is a fabulous little boutique hotel that is close to so many attractions, restaurants, and the airport. Don't worry, even though it's very close to the airport, you don't have the air noise of planes overhead. The staff is always friendly and happy to help or give recommendations for local things to see/do, and then there's their restaurant. OH their restaurant. The menu changes seasonally, and they always have an excellent selection of local fare that is superbly crafted into delicious meals. They also have specially crafted cocktails and an excellent local wine and beer selection. The rooms are clean and airy and bright. Each room has their own beta fish in a bowl on the wall which adds a nice touch.

The only negative things I can think of (and really I don't consider them negatives but others might) is that they don't have a breakfast or lunch service, except for brunch on the weekends; the pool is small but enjoyable, and parking spaces are limited.

I would recommend this delightful hotel for anyone traveling with a friend, solo, or a small family.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
ModernTraveler10, Owner at The Pearl Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2014

Favorite Hotel!?!! Thank you!!! We are honored and great appreciate your support. Please keep coming back. It's guests like you that make what we do so special. Tell a friend.

Reviewed 2 September 2014

This is a great find. Hidden in Point Loma, this beats the pants off any motor inn I've ever stayed in. I was treated as if I were a guest at the Ritz Carlton. The pool atmosphere leaked into every room. I felt like I was at a resort, but they only have 23 rooms.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple

Glad you had an amazing experience at the Pearl. Honored to have you. Hope you will come visit us again soon. we appreciate your support. Tell a friend.

Reviewed 28 August 2014

My husband and I are locals & live close by in Point Loma. We were looking for a cool place to have date night in the area that we could ride our Vespa to - The Pearl was it, and we snagged a last minute reservation for dinner by the pool!! The service was top-notch. They really bent over backwards to make sure we loved everything. They oysters tasted really fresh and we are really picky about our oyster standards :) The infamous brussel sprouts did not disappoint & the portion is huge!! We had a hard time choosing our entrees because the menu looked delicious - ended up with the pork chop & the burger. Loved both. We'll DEFINITELY be back. Big shout out to the restaurant manager, Nick, who was super friendly & came out to introduce himself and to our server, Paul, who brought out 3 different homemade options when my husband requested ranch dressing on the side. Highly recommend this San Diego gem to locals and visitors.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Appreciate your review. Honored to have the support of a local San Diegan. Hope you will come visit us again soon. Make it a great day.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

I was a little nervous about the Pearl when I saw it's exterior, but once I got inside my perceptions totally changed. The interior is absolutely beautiful with this modern meets Don Draper vibe. We had some issues with our first room, and as soon as we let the staff know we were upgraded to a different room and given a free appetizer and drink coupon. The room itself was gorgeous and even came with a fish! Also loved the bamboo bath mats (totally ordered one for myself once I got home!) The staff were also amazing, when we got back late one night they recommended this great pub that was still serving food. Overall would stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

On behalf of the entire Pearl team, thank you for your fantastic review!! Happy to hear you appreciated the details. We appreciate your support and hope you can come back for another visit. Tell a friend.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

I stayed at The Pearl after seeing its great reviews online and also seeing that it was on a list of best affordable hotels in the country. It's definitely in a great location with extremely helpful staff. The highlight for me was probably the great food and drinks at the restaurant. Emily does a great job buying some great wines and the chef is great as well. I recommend the oysters as they were very fresh on two different occasions. The only drawback for business travelers(or anyone else) is that if you are on the second floor you have to lug all of your stuff up stairs outside to get there. This isn't a problem if you are young or able, but it could be for some people. Lastly, the beds are very low to the ground so if you have problems with your knees or anything similar, this is something too consider. All-in-all a great spot very close to the action in San Diego! I will be back on my next visit to San Diego.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Thank you very much for your kind review. Greatly appreciate the support. Our staff rocks & glad you had a great guest experience. Please come back and tell a friend.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

We loved this little spot on our most recent trip out west. Never before have we stayed in such an awesome, retro boutique hotel! No detail went unnoticed, that's for sure. Excellent designs throughout! So convenient to have the restaurant and bar on site. With such delicious options, we had a hard time picking what to order! Just a tip, SAVE ROOM FOR DESSERT!! Will definitely return! I'd love to go back to eat and stay again, but i really want to go for the dive-in movie night, too!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
ModernTraveler10, Owner at The Pearl Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

On behalf of the entire Pearl management & staff, THANK YOU for the fantastic review!! We appreciate you. It's guests like you that make this business so amazing. Hope you can return in the near future for dinner & dine-in theatre. Please tell a friend. Make it an amazing day.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Just got back from a 4 night stay at The Pearl with my fiance. Very cool little spot for a great price. Had a neat retro vibe to it. Good location and great staff. All were very friendly. Two of the front desk agents let me use their computer to print some things out. The movie nights are a great idea. Fun thing to do if you are wanting to stay in and eat at the restaurant, which was very good by the way. My only complaint was the shower head was at about chin height for me and I'm not THAT tall. No big deal though. Will definitely consider staying here on our next visit to San Diego.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thanks for coming to stay with us! We appreciate your kind review and support. Your comments regarding the shower head are noted - every year we evaluate what we can upgrade for a better guest experience. Hope you return in the near future. Tell a friend.