“The Pearl is my dream hotel.”
Review of The Pearl Hotel

The Pearl Hotel
Ranked #23 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Alameda, CA
“The Pearl is my dream hotel.”
Reviewed 31 July 2009

I rarely am able to give 100% glowing reviews of anything, so this is a rare occasion. I think The Pearl is my dream hotel because it really did provide everything I want in a hotel. First and foremost, the style and vibe of the place is amazing. When we arrived on a warm July Sunday around noon, there was a full-fledged pool party going on! Everyone was lounging around with drinks and listening to some great music poolside, some were finishing their brunch which is served every Sunday during the warm months. I didn't get a chance to join the fun that day, but I was jealous of those who did.

It's an great example of mid-century googie architecture, but the owners have done an amazing job of renovating the place with one eye on maintaining it's vintage charm and the other eye on tasteful, hip modern design. I love the fact that they brought new life to this old hotel. There is a kidney bean shaped pool in the center courtyard and set next to it is an open-air full bar and restaurant. I think there are probably less than 20 rooms total at The Pearl which makes for a boutique feel.

Despite the party in the courtyard, our room was quiet and a great place to relax. It was all brand new and styled like it should be featured in Dwell magazine. Wait, has this place been featured in Dwell? If not it should be. The room had a flat screen TV, lots of Ikea style furnishings, and a very comfortable bed. Oh, and it came with a goldfish named Cosmo! He swam around quietly in his bowl and was a great roommate.

The location is great, very close to Downtown San Diego and the whole surrounding area, with restaurants all around. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

The one issue is that you have to be careful about parking in the neighborhood. Apparently the police like giving tickets for the smallest parking infractions. However, the staff is very interested in helping that not be a problem for the guests, they will give you pointers and even spot for you while you park your car. So, not a problem really, just be careful parking your car.

The The Pearl is my dream hotel because it has great prices, an amazing pool, clean, comfortable and stylish rooms, a welcoming staff, a full bar and restaurant, great and unique architecture and interior design, and it's in a perfect location. It has the look, feel and vibe I want in a hotel. I'll be back for sure!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed 13 June 2009

Took my daughter on a trip to San Diego. Hotwire booked us into this hotel. Hard to figure out where to park and where to check in. Went to our room and had to shut the blinds. Less than 20 feet across from us was as man in an apartment, staring into our room. When he saw us, he hid his curtains. Walked out of the room and got the wonderful view of a young woman, sun bathing in a thong and topless. Needless to say, I called Hotwire and was moved to a new hotel. Looks like a great place to party and drink but definately not a place for a family with children.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Nonaquilts
SD
Reviewed 7 June 2009

This place is super cute there is a lot of fun stuff in the room, i had two move, cause my rbathroom door wouldnt open. lol but they were so nice anf friendly and very helpful, Ashley at the desk is Super friendly and helpful, the staff is great i would recemend this hotel, and would return

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
USA
Reviewed 28 May 2009

OK, so yes, this place is noisy. There's no two-ways about the fact that the bar downstairs is really popular with the rich-folk of San Diego and they like to make enough noise for you to hear it clearly in one of the upstairs corner rooms. But hey, even if you don't drink and don't like to party, the spirit of the place gets to you. It's def young, hip and chic. (But if you just want a goodnight's rest, this place, esp on a weekend, is a no-no)...

The rooms themselves were very clean, the bed very comfy. Nice plasma screen. If I have one small complaint, it's that the rooms were a little small--but the decor actually makes them feel cozy instead of cramped. I have to comment on the amenities since they were Bath & Body Works--yeah, they were quality Cocunut & Lime...smelled great!

This was one of my favorite places in San Diego that we stayed, and I'd def go back to stay there, despite the noise. BTW, the bar closed at midnight or eleven on the night we were there, so it wasn't too bad...it was quiet enough after that to sleep in until 10am without any problems.

PS--parking costs, but you can find street parking for free right by the hotel (not easy to find, but was safe once we got it)

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles
Reviewed 12 May 2009

We are locals from San Diego, but had four days until we moved out of state. We had had dinner and drinks at the Pearl several times and decided we would stay there for four nights. GREAT DECISION!!! The rooms is great - very clean and airy, ours even had a nice little patio to sit outside with drinks. Our fish (every room gets one) was named Jaws - we will miss him =)

The staff is awesome, the bartenders are very easy going and the food is yummy! We walked to a restaurant in the area on one night and drove downtown another night.

Overall, would recommend this to any young, hip couple that doesnt mind music at night and chic digs.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Seattle
Reviewed 29 April 2009

What a great place to stay. we found it, checked out the review and booked it. From check in to check out (and at all points inbetween) the staff couldnt have been more genuinely helpful or nice - owner, manager, bar staff, check in person etc. Plus the rooms were great, the scene around the bar and the pool a perfect mix between super relaxed and funky. and amazing food. Location good - easy to get everywhere. Not for kids or for adults seeking zen like peace and quiet, but perfect for adults wanting a getaway at somewhere where nobody cares if you're lying down in the bar on cushions reading the paper and drinking the free coffee. . We will be back.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
hawaii
Reviewed 15 April 2009

The pictures make this place look great. The hotel totally had a hipster swanky vibe right off the bat and my boyfriend was very impressed when we got there. And so was I, until our third night there, when I notice that our sheets weren't changed. The bed wasn't even made, it seemed as though housekeeping just threw the blanket on without fixing the sheets underneath. I was very disturbed by that. I just hope that when we first arrived the sheets were freash and not from the previous guest.

I read the reviews before we got there, and it seems as though I got the room with the leaky tub faucet that someone else mentioned. I thought the bathroom could have used more light. There were about 3 light switches for the bathroom area alone, but still it seemed very dark. The room itself is dark. But what you can do to brighten up the place, is take the bedside lamp and turn it upside down to face the ceiling.

What I didn't really like about this place, even more then my unchanged sheets, was the bar scene. I didn't notice an over abundance of noisy or rowdiness. But I did notice a bunch of rude stares from the hipster locals when I went to talk to front desk one night. It was very uncomfortable as a hotel guest, but what are you going to do.

What I liked very much about this place was that it was in a decent neighborhood. A lot of the reviews make it seem like its in some shady part of town, but indeed it is NOT. I have lived in shadier places, but this was nothing. There are no dark alleyways you'd have to park in. It was safe, we found street parking VERY EASILY. We did reserve parking one night, because we went out to a wedding and I wasn't sure what time we'd get back. They made the mistake of charging me for 2 nights, but were very quick to fix it and refund me.

They also had these cool radios in the rooms that played specific stations. The Pearl's Station was very cool and my boyfriend and I would listen to it all the time and just chill in the room and relax. I wish I could have taken that home with me! They also offered complimentary wifi. I had no problems using it for my entire stay there. I encountered no issues and it was never slow.

What I wished I could have done at the Pearl was to experience their dinning. I guess I'll have to save that for next time. Overall the hotel needs some work, but you get what you pay for. I would go there again, but maybe upgrade to the biggest room the offer.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple