“Felt Like A Hard Rock Hall-of-Famer”

Hard Rock Hotel San Diego
Ranked #32 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Well this was a 1 night/day get-away surprise for my girlfriend. She's very much into the modern/classy architectural feel of a hotel and after looking through photos, videos, and reviews the Hard Rock seemed to have what I was looking for.
The hotel is located right at the beginning of the gas lamp and is right next to the convention center. The parking was a bit difficult to find because there was an event going on and parts of the road were closed off. I must say $40 for a 24hr valet is a bit pricey/not worth it. They also take a while to get your vehicle unless you call ahead of time, but even when I told them I would be out in 10 minutes I still waited an extra 5 minutes before my car was out. It's too bad the hotel doesn't have parking for their guests other than valet.
First impression when walking into the lobby is, classy, sophisticated, appealing. The place was tastefully designed. There was no line to get checked in and the person at the front desk was very nice, but that's also where the first problem arose. I had asked for one of the DJ controller's for my room which is free to rent and is one of the perks that made me consider choosing the hard rock. I'm a DJ so I thought it was cool that they provided guests with a small midi to mess around with. The front desk person told me "not a problem, I'll have it brought up right away". I go into my room, about 20 minutes in, no one has brought anything up. So I try to page 'ground control' to see what's going on, which is when my 2nd problem arose, my room phone was not working. it gave off a busy tone no matter who I dialed for. Luckily there was room-maid outside and she tried to help me out. She dialed for someone to ask about the DJ controller, and told her that I had to dial ground control. I let her know that my phone wasn't working so she called for someone to come up and fix my phone. No one ever came up. She was very though and sincere about trying to help me out. Anyways I find another phone by the bed that works, so I use that to dial ground control and let them know I want to use the DJ controller. I was told it wasn't a problem I just had to go down stairs to the lobby to fill out some paper work I would be able to rent it out (Why wasn't I told this the first time? Who knows). So I go downstairs and speak to the same person who checked me in, only to be told that there are none available (Great!). So that means no music download to listen to over the TV. I did request for it again lat

Room Tip: Well this was a 1 night/day get-away surprise for my girlfriend. She's very much into the modern...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Matt D, Manager at Hard Rock Hotel San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Hi Mark, we love to hear that you felt like a Hard Rock Hall-of-Famer! We're sorry about the miscommunication you experienced in regards to our Mix. amenity and we would like to follow up with you to learn more about your experience. Can you please contact us at customerservice(at)hardrockhotelsd(dot)com?

Write a ReviewReviews (5,498)

Reviewed 6 August 2014

The location of this hotel is excellent for the Gaslamp Quarter. Unfortunately we chose the weekend of Comicon to visit (no one pre-warned us about this, we are from England and had no clue!). The area was so busy that we were unable to get to the hotel by car so chose to park elsewhere.
The hotel check in was fairly simple and the bellman brought our bags up. The room was lovely. There was a roof party going on in the afternoon that kept us entertained watching out of the window for a while! Unfortunately this meant that the roof bar was closed, which we had been looking forward to.
We would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Matt D, Manager at Hard Rock Hotel San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

AnnaDawes, thank you for sharing your Comic-Con experience with us! Comic-Con is the biggest convention of the year, and we're glad you got to experience it by accident. We're sorry that some of our outlets were closed for private events, but we're glad you still had an amazing time. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed 6 August 2014

This will probably be the sexiest hotel you can stay in at the gaslamp. They make you feel like a rock star. The decor is appropriate for the 20-40s crowd. Very modern and upscale. If you want to impress someone, bring them here!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

L A, what amazing feedback! Thank you for taking the time to share your fantastic experience, and we're thrilled you loved our unique vibe!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

The staff was super friendly and knowledgeable. The room was very clean. The location of the hotel was great. I would recommend this hotel anyone and would definitely stay there again................................................................................

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Hi sc67103, thank you so much for recommending us and we can't wait to see you again! We loved reading your amazing feedback about our friendly staff and clean accommodations.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We enjoyed our stay here! I loved the fragrance in the lobby. All the staff we interacted with were very friendly and seemed to be happy to help and serve us. The room was very clean and the bed was extremely comfortable.

Room Tip: The iPod cable and hook uo to the TV didn't work very well so we couldn't listen to out pref...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Matt D, Manager at Hard Rock Hotel San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Amy, thank you for sharing your rockin' experience with us! We're glad you love the fragrance in our lobby, and we appreciate your great feedback about our friendly staff and clean accommodations!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Had 12 rooms for family members and everything when great!
First Class and everyone had a great time. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you, Keith! We're happy to hear that your family had an amazing time and everything was perfect during your vacation!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Fantastic location in the Gas Lamp with easy access to great restaurants and bars starting with Hard Rock's own Nobu and 307. Came in for Sunday's Intervention Pool Party and enjoyed every minute of it. Staff was extremely attentive and responsive. We made the most of our last night in San Diego and will definitely be back!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

What a fantastic review title, bebueno! We're thrilled that we exceeded your expectations and that you loved everything our property has to offer from our delicious dining options to Intervention. We look forward to seeing you during your next trip to San Diego!