“felt like a rockstar”

Hard Rock Hotel San Diego
Ranked #28 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 27 July 2010

We arranged a suite for our wedding night at the Hard Rock Hotel. I've never stayed there before but heard good things. I have to say that I was impressed and happy with our choice. The staff from the front desk girl to the room service staff were friendly, attentive, and helpful. We had a great time. We really felt like rock stars during our stay, an experience I highly recommend!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
bmclean02, Manager at Hard Rock Hotel San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2010

Thanks for the awesome review and congratulations on your wedding. We hope to see you soon after the honeymoon.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,558)

Reviewed 25 July 2010

Stayed at the Hard Rock San Diego for Comic-Con and LOVED it. The staff was great and the room was their basic one, but I was really nice. Bathroom beautiful. Cool shower with overhead and wall shower heads - no tub, which we could have used after waling a zillion miles each day.
They only recommendation I have is that you request to be away from the floor service entrance. We were in room 1034 and every time they used that door it was pretty loud starting pretty early in the morning. We didn't asked to be moved because we heard the hotel was full. Minor complaint though. We rally hope to get a room there next year too!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business

We look forward to seeing you next year. Thanks for the feedback about the elevators; guest input is always the best tool for training. As for the tub, make sure to request one when you check in next time, and we’ll do our best to get you into the requested room. Thanks for the review.

Reviewed 24 July 2010

I was really excited to stay at the Hard Rock. The pictures on the internet made the rooms look so great. When I got there, they looked just like the pictures. I was able to check in early. They have my favorite music playing when I get to my room and everything was modern and up to date. The two TVs were great. Everytime I called to the front desk, the people were so friendly and got me everything I needed in no time. The rooftop pool and cabanas were nice. It was also nice to be able to do my business in the computer room. The room was very clean. The valets were friendly and very helpful.
I was not sure at first if this would be family friendly, but it does a good job of balancing a famliy friendly environment with a young fresh vibe for those that want to have a good time.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
bmclean02, Director at Hard Rock Hotel San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2010

Rock on. Sounds like you were able to take full advantage of everything the Hotel has to offer. I’ll be sure to pass along your warm comments to our crew. Thank you for the review, We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 22 July 2010

All credit to Hard Rock Hotel in San Diego. We stayed there for one night (all other nights sold out) in July. That was a great experience. Our son turned 13 while we stayed there and it was his choise to stay at HRH - he chose it over Disneyland and Universal Studio. And he was thrilled. The great staff upgraded us to a Rock Suite and they even gave my son a birthday present. The hotel is great in all senses and I would recommend it to everybody.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family

Thank you for the review and photos. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 19 July 2010

Just got back from a two day stay at the Hard Rock in San Diego. The place is Uber-Chic and totally styled like you would expect a Hard Rock hotel to be. But wait... I am getting a bit ahead of myself. First of all, I would like to mention the way the reservation was handled. It was professional and they even asked what type of music I wanted playing in my room when I arrived (which it was). Between making my reservation and actually staying at the hotel, I received several emails (albeit automatically generated) reminding me of my stay and options to book a spa visit, question what is going on in the area, etc. I have never had this kind of attention from a hotel, and I for one... liked it. Okay, so I arrive and the line to get valet parking was kind of busy, so I parked across the street in the public parking and save myself some money ($21 per day vs. $35 per day at the hotel... although no in/out priveleges). When I arrived, my room was ready and clean. When I checked out the room, it was very stylish. There was a HUGE screen TV and some interesting architectural items like a small little "Peek-a-boo" window behind the mini-bar that looked straight into the bathroom... specifically in to the shower. Given that this was a single King bed room, I would imagine that they figured out that either one person was staying here or, at least, two people who knew each other quite well and would not mind watching each other shower. Again... totally cool... and totally Hard Rock. Just a couple other things about the room. First of all, no tub. Shower only [albeit with a terrific "rain" shower head]. Apparently rock stars don't like to soak. AND... the room, although totally "techy" has no DVD player. Disappointing. I brought Netflix DVDs with me to watch and when I couldn't find a DVD player in the room I called the front desk ("chic-ly" called "Ground Control" at the hotel) and asked about a DVD player. Yes, they have them, but at a cost of $100 per night! Too pricey for me. Now I am not the usual Hard Rock "demographic" as I am close to 50 years of age, but the Hard Rock staff made me feel comfortable nonetheless. The hotel is about a block away from Petco Park so if you are going to catch a Padres game, the location is PERFECT. The only complaint I had, and it is not the Hard Rock's issue, was that the people across from my room were very, very noisey and loud... usually until 2 or 3 in the morning. They were apparently there for a Bachelor/Bachelorette party and well, it was the Hard Rock so they were partying like... well, rock stars! It made getting to sleep and staying asleep a little challenging, but I made it through. Which brings me to my final point. If you go, and you really should, request a room on a higher floor. There is the 207 Lounge on the first floor and they party there quite late into the evening/early morning. I heard them quite a bit and I was on the 8th floor, so I can only imagine that it would be pretty much unbearable on a lower floor. But in any case, the Hard Rock lived up to its expectations as a cool, hip, trendy location. The staff appears to be well trained and the rooms well designed. Overall a good experience and one I would imagine others would enjoy.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 July 2010

We thought this would be a fun, cool place to stay but the staff was so rude. Everytime we needed something we were told no. My girlfriend finally had a melt down when she was told to dispose of her water bottle at the pool. We had to spend a minimum of $350.00 to use the pool. They were having a pool party and after we paid the $350.00 we were told we had to leave the rooftop pool, go down 6 flights, go out to the street (in our suits)and then by $20.00 wristbands to come back in. One of their favorite lines is that " It's for your own safety" We weren't even allowed to bring a bag to the pool area. I thought they must be having Beyonce (the way they were acting)on the roof but instead it was some DJ that was medicore at best. The group that was next to us was literally kicked out of the pool for jumping in the pool. (it was for their own safety). That was after they spent $500.00 for their spot, which I'm sure they resold. The pictures on the website are very misleading. they make the pool look big but it's about the size of a backyeard pool. We had upgraded to a suite but it was so small with no privacy and I finally had to demand they come up and cleaned. Worst experience I have Ever had at a hotel

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
bmclean02, Director at Hard Rock Hotel San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2010

Let me simply say I’m sorry. Our goal is to deliver authentic experiences that rock and certainly we missed the mark completely for you. But I’m not sure what action i can take here. While there are plenty of details in your review, there are none I can fully address. I’m not sure why you would be required to spend $350 to use the pool; certainly if you had requested bottle service, then I can see where the number would come from, but I can’t conclude that with the information above. I’m not sure why the team would have asked you to leave the pool to purchase tickets. I’m not sure why you would feel the suite was not private. I’m not at all defensive – where there are issues we’ll always shine a light on them and fix them – but I’m just not sure where to start here. I would ask that you connect with me, but Tripadvisor’s rules do not allow this. Therefore, let me simply say, I’m sorry. The entire Hard Rock team is sorry. We are all about creating raving fans, nothing less.

Reviewed 18 July 2010

Was very disappointed with our recent stay at the HR. From the point of checking in there were errors with our reservation, which took far too long for 'ground control'/management to fix. Just a few of the problems; we checked in at 3pm with an infant & they booked our room incorrectly. They told us it would be an hour for them to fix. Went on a walk & dinner and returned and still our room was not ready. Finally after several phone calls to Luke the manager on duty who was no help we decided at 9 pm that we would stay in the wrong room for the night & switch rooms in the am, on the weekend HR has a club on the main level. We were on the 10th floor and the music was so loud it sounded like someone was dj-ing next door, rooms smelled of smoke, for over 24 hours the room next to us room service sat in the hallway (with cigarette butts & uneaten food),...I could go on with more, but I have better things to do then revisit a nightmare of a stay. We will never stay at another HR & would not recommend this hotel to our friends/family.

2  Thank Leigh6

Wow. Two terrible reviews in a row. Needless to say we have a lot to share with our Hotel teams from this review. There seems no way for me to respond other than to say I’m sorry. This is not the type of review we would want to receive from any guest regarding their experience, let alone one traveling with a small child. We had every opportunity to anticipate your family’s needs, empathize, execute, and meet our collective expectations. While I am not able to ask that you contact me directly, I hope very much you’ll reach out to us to further discuss your stay. Once again, my apologies. Should you change your mind about staying with us in the future, I can promise your next visit will be very different. Additionally we’ve asked that Luke, the Guest Service Manager during your stay, to provide further insight below:

I feel awful. I read the situation completely wrong. I remember your stay very well and felt that I was more than accommodating your needs thru room moves, complimentary crib usage and complimentary Silver suite upgrade. All that being said, there was clearly more our team could have done. For that I apologize and take personal responsibility. Please give me and the team here at Hard Rock another chance. –Luke Burger, Guest Service Manager