“over the top luxe, great service, but mediocre cooking”
Review of Addison Restaurant

Addison Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Addison Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #203 of 4,964 Restaurants in San Diego
Price range: US$98 - US$150
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Carmel Country Road
Reviewed 27 January 2014

the restaurant is located in a separate building on beautiful grounds in the grand Del Mar Resort. The decor is Southern California over the top posh. Service was friendly knowledgeable and solicitous. That said, I took the $98 four course menu and every item was mediocre at best. I started with mussels in a brown foam that simply taste of salt this was followed by a snail torte with a green foam, the snails were hard to identify, and little of their flavor came through. My main course, the sweet breads, was hEartiLy recommended by the server as a signature dish. It tasted like deep fried sweet breads with no subtlety whatsoever.mascarpone Cheese cake for dessert was tasty, but not exceptional. All in all, I would say this is a Three star facility with three star service and no star food.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

All foodies must make time for this gem hidden in the Carmel valley hillsides. Great location and the staff gives superior service but the food is even beyond that. The food is on par with Petrus or French Laundry. Come hungry, the chef's tasting menu is big and desert is a must.

1  Thank Phillipzee
Reviewed 22 December 2013

A very expensive, superior, dining experience. Had the 8 course chefs selection which was served over a four time frame. Each course very small, very unique, and extremely well done.
Service is flawless, wine cellar outstanding, setting perfect. It is not inexpensive. We were at $500 per person including drinks, mid priced wine and tip. Only worth it if you want very fine dining.

1  Thank fdl1948
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I always try to visit the best restaurant when I go to a city for the first time, and I don't think I could have found a more professional establishment or had a more refined dining experience than I did on that evening (Late October, 2013).
We chose the Grand Gourmand menu with the pairings- each of which superbly complimented each dish. The stand-outs of the menu that evening were the French Pumpkin Veloute, over glazed pork-belly, the Sweetbreads with leek cremeux, garlic puree and capers, and best of all, the Coffee Roasted Canard (with dates a l'orange, parsnip puree and pearl onions).
While nothing served was disappointing, it was a bit surprising that a macaroon and another dish of 2 spoonfuls of sorbet were each considered a "course." It would probably be better to just call it an 8-course menu and add these items as additional little surprises. It was not as if we were not full at the end, it is just that it seemed silly to refer to those as courses.
Overall the service was impeccable. The only comment I would make, as advice to travelers, is to avoid letting them try to convince you their car service is “comparable” to a taxi. It is not. To give an example, our return trip (car service) cost 150% of the trip there (taxi).

1  Thank David A
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Why doesn't Addison have a michelin star (or two, or three)??? We ate there last August and had a tremendous evening. The meal was spectacular - each dish more creative than the next - and the service was outstanding. From the valet to the servers to the chef who greeted our table - it was a wonderful experience. Regrettably I didn't write a review at the time but we just got back from a trip to Napa and the French Laundry and we were very disappointed. Addison was so much more impressive in every respect that I felt i should write a review so that someone else will experience this wonderful restaurant.

1  Thank shopgirl7254