“Amazing stay, awesome staff!!”
Review of Lucky D's Hostel

Lucky D's Hostel
Dublin, Ireland
“Amazing stay, awesome staff!!”
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Had an awesome time in Lucky D's. The cleanest hostel I have EVER been to! The staff is so cool and there are plenty of things going on in the common room every day. And Saturdays are FREE beer!! If you want to stay in Gaslamp, Lucky D's is the place to be bar none!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
LuckyDsHostel, Manager at Lucky D's Hostel, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Thanks for the great review of the hostel. So glad you had a good stay here and you took full advantage of everything the hostel offers! Hope to see you again

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Korean first
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014

A friendly and great priced family run hostel in a hard to beat location downtown. There is an amazing amount of freebies such as wifi, breakfast etc my only gripes would be a fair bit of noise at night ( but thats mainly due to city location) and that it could be a little cleaner! id definitely visit again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thanks for your review. Glad you had a good time and made the most of the amenities that we have to offer. We'd love to have you visit again!
Belo Horizonte, MG
Reviewed 24 April 2014

It's been a while since I last stayed in a hostel. This place was ok, I could use a kitchen, save some money, maybe meet new people to ease the loneliness of my one-man-trip, get some hints from real people who live there instead of support from cold professionals in hotels. Well, I'm in my forties and not rich but can afford a single room for myself; after Lucky D's, I just cancelled the other hostel reservations for my trip and decided to go to simple, affordable, clean, well located and safe hotels instead. Not that Lucky D's isn't any of that; some people there (mainly the lady who tidied up in the kitchen, the girl working there with her baby in a backbag, and the guy playing the electrician were doing their best to make everything work. The first day, when I stopped by just to drop my luggage and kept going instead of checking in, the girl at the reception desk even offered me to have breakfast there with a lovely smile! However, I must confess the general atmosphere did not please me. To start with, the decoration is horrible. Honestly, I'm no prissy but what the heck are those walls, paintings, sculptures and pictures? It all looks as if it was bought second hand in cheap garage sales, or maybe just junk somebody threw away... (Am I just prejudiced? Well, I checked USA Hostel in San Francisco -- which I cancelled after Lucky D's -- to answer this question and surely answered no.) By the way, my room (and the hotel in general) has a shabby carpet, not the wooden floor I saw in some photos. But what really irritated me was many guests and some guys who work there (also live there?) attitude: a general careless, selfish, almost rude behavior that definitely made me put away the place. I'm talking about nobody saying hi, excuse me or looking at you in the eyes even when you're sharing the table, facing each other. Is this socializing? I guess to socialize there you need to grab a beer and act like you do in a bar. Well, that's past for me, life has taught me better ways. Now I got used to people with minimal manners and a decent talk, can't stand much bad language anymore. Believe you or not, I smile and chit chat with all polite strangers I can in a new town, also to talk in another language, but I honestly did not find much of this kind of people in Lucky D's. So if all this sounds fudge to you, stay there, otherwise search a bit more.

Room Tip: They have single rooms too (I do not know if private bathrooms are available; the common bathrooms w...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Whitehorse, Canada
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I have stayed in a couple of hostels before and the lucky d's is one of my favourite (if not the most) ;)
I've travelled with a friend in our car. we didn't plan anything, except of the flight back to our country. So we were really happy when we met all the nice guys from the lucky d's, who were easygoing and thoughtful. We could always stay there when we came back to san diego, even we called them on the same day we've needed a place to stay.

Also the location of the hostel is perfect for everyone. you're near the public transportation, gaslamp quarter and in 20 - 30min you're at the beach(by car).

Thanks for all guys it was absolutely great :) see you soon

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Thanks for the compliments Illari, we're pleased that you had such a good stay here and yes, hopefully see you soon!
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Perfect staying al the hostel with nice people.. I were there with four friends for there night and We had too much fun with the others guests and the crew staff.. The spanish girl of the staff Aymara is so cool!

• Stayed April 2014
Thanks for your review Esteban. Glad that you had a pleasant stay with us and I will let Aymara know about your review. Hope to see you back at the hostel again.
Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

I have stayed in hotels and hostels all over the world and after this experience at Lucky D's, I can sum up all my complaints in just one statement: there should be a sixth star for businesses of this calibre. ;-)
I contacted the owner of LD's a few weeks ago and told her I am working on a documentary about wounded Marines. I am producing this work for free, which I am only able to do because of businesses like this one. Lucky D's initially invited me to stay for an entire week, which was incredible. I have been able to accomplish so much thanks to not needing to bounce around from sponsor to sponsor. The owner saw the work I was doing and actually invited me to stay for an extra week. I have been working round the clock since I've been here and much of what my organization has accomplished in the last two weeks is because of the support of this business. The BARE SOLE PROJECT enthusiastically endorses Lucky D's and I personally vouch for the cleanliness of the facilities, professionalism and friendliness of the staff, and high quality of the guests this place attracts. And there is icing on this cake too: LD's not only offers free dinner several times per week, they even have free beer on Saturday nights and a $5 all-you-can-drink margarita night! Look no further, my friends. You have found your hostel.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank BarefootJakeBrown
Reviewed 7 April 2014

This was my first stay at a hostel, and it surpassed my expectations. It's very near public transportation hubs, you can get anywhere! They also give you great discounts on local attractions and can help you find things to do on any budget. The staff is incredibly nice, helpfulI & fun! I will be coming back here and will be staying in hostels from now on!

• Stayed April 2014
LuckyDsHostel, Manager at Lucky D's Hostel, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Thank you so much for such a kind review. We are happy your first experience of a hostel was a positive and hope you check out some more on your travels. We also hope you come back and see us soon.