“Great hotel for business travel in San Diego”

Hilton Garden Inn San Diego Del Mar
Ranked #12 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Gilbert, Arizona
“Great hotel for business travel in San Diego”
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I travel a lot for my job and see a lot of hotels. This one stands out as one of the best in terms of overall customer service, cleanliness and overall quality. The service at this hotel is better than most of the high-priced ones I've stayed at in larger cities. Excellent hotel!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
San Diego, California
Reviewed 1 August 2013

A lot of people might not think of a smaller hotel like this for a party but it's perfect. I had heard from several friends about great experiences holding their child's bar/bat mitzvah here, but wasn't too sure I wanted to use it. I have 9 years experience working in 4 & 5 Star large resorts and have always thought that was way to go. I decided to check it out after many recommendations.

There is only one ballroom, so you will be the only party and when I say you get all the attention because of that, I mean it. The staff bent over backwards to meet our every need! With having experience in this field, I am pretty specific to my needs and details. The Catering Manager Terri Miller was attentive and responsive and wonderful! As the party neared, our phone calls became more frequent and she was able to remind me of things I needed to do that weren't part of her job but little details I may forgotten that I needed to take care of. She helped me when I was the most frazzled! I was on a strict budget and Terri worked with me and helped me figure out what would work best. (I will talk about the food later). I was not working with a decor person and was doing it on my own. I was able to drop of a bunch of decorations the day before and Terri and her staff happily set everything up so it looked amazing! A big amount of time I didn't have to worry about using up during my busy weekend.

Last minute I called Terri because I had forgotten one of my guests was gluten free. Terri called me back with in 5 minutes with exactly what my guest could eat that I had already included in our menu and what exactly they would do for substitutions. There was also a boy at our party who didn't tell anyone until the actual party that he was gluten free and he was taken care of immediately and with no problem.

During the party I felt that not only did everything go smoothly and perfectly, but that again, the staff was there to make us happy. Terri was always easy to find and if I had any need it was quickly taken care of and with a great attitude. The F&B Manager Bill Songer was also highly visible and checking in with me to make sure we had everything we needed and was super nice. All of the banquet staff, Manny, Daniel, Ema, and Shari were terrific!

On to the food...one word...AMAZING. As I've mentioned, I've had many 4-star and 5-star experiences and this easily compares! I had heard the food was great here, but thought with a smaller hotel it might not be the same experience as a resort. We had a buffet for the adults with a mushroom chicken that was delicious and a lemon salmon that my guests talked about for days! Buffets can be iffy but everything was hot, plentiful and cooked to perfection! I have to mention also, that I had met with a few of the hotels in the area where everyone has their bar mitzvah's and for what I ordered for my guests I would've paid double and been required to meet a much higher minimum. This was perfect! A 5-star experience in my book and I would book them a gain in a heartbeat if I have another event!

Overall, a perfect experience. The MOST important part was that my son had the time of his life and said he wouldn't have changed a thing.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
San Diego, California
Reviewed 1 August 2013

There are few places you can go where feeling like family comes natural. But, that is exactly how you feel when you visit the HGI as we like to call it. The staff is warm and friendly, but not fake. It is as if the owner of the hotel has allowed each person the opportunity to excel to their highest potential. While there this evening one of the staff whose name is Jessica Woolfrey was spot on. She was friendly and funny with lots of good conversation. She had no problem waiting on us or serving us with a glad heart. It is this type of environment that makes you want to visit again and again. If that was not enough a lady named Kim Whittemore was equally attentive to us and really just made you feel welcomed. There was just a feel or vibe to the whole experience that makes you appreciate your visit.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms here
1 Thank Greg B
Kevin E, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
Greg,

We appreciate you taking the time to write such a genuine and descriptive review of your visit. Ownership, Jessica, Kim and the rest of team here at HGI truly care about each of our guests and we have been fortunate enough to build a culture to reflect that. We are thrilled that you enjoy the environment that we provide and look forward to having you back.
West Springfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We had a wonderful time in SoCal last week. This hotel was chosen for wedding guests from out of town. Being from Massachusetts we wanted to extend our stay to a full 5 nights to be able to really see San Diego and surrounding areas. Despite the ComicCon demands, the hotel was able to accommodate us. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The accommodations were comfortable and clean. We had breakfast in the Bistro 4 of the 5 days, sometimes with friends, and were happy with the individually prepared food as well as the buffet. The fruit was fresh and sweet - we often find melon in hotel restaurants to be underripe or overripe, but here it was perfect.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Boise, Idaho
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Attentive Staff, Great Location, Room was perfect- I chose the balcony king room and it was perfect, The Patio was spacious -I sat outside in the evenings working on laptop and eating great food prepared by restaurant down stairs. I was only 10 minutes way from a great shopping plaza. Definitely recommend for anyone that wants a quality stay for work or play at an extremely fair price.

Room Tip: recommend the balcony rooms-you wont be disappointed
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Kevin E, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Chris,

The team and I are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and had the opportunity to try our Bistro's delicious food. The balcony king room is definitely worth the upgrade as you mentioned. The cool San Diego breeze and beautiful setting is something each guest should enjoy. We appreciate the recommendation and look forward to having you back during your next visit.
West Warwick, Rhode Island
Reviewed 25 July 2013

My husband and I recently spent a week at the Hilton Garden Inn. We had a wonderful experience at this hotel. The manager, Kevin, is so nice and professional; the staff is extremely courteous and friendly, especially Paco and Julie who work at the front desk. You could tell by their enthusiasm that they were genuinely happy to be dealing with travelers. For me, the staff reflects the quality of the hotel, and I rank the quality very high. We were especially pleased with the onsite restaurant, Bistro 39. This little gem offers the best breakfasts and their eggs benedict dish is excellent. Now that we've found the Hilton Garden Inn, there's no place I'd rather stay!
Joy D

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Rockford, IL, United States
Reviewed 25 July 2013

My positive impression of this hotel began even prior to check-in: a young man called while I was on the road between Phoenix and San Diego, advising that they had my rooms ready (one for wife and self, one for son and grandkids) and while they were currently not adjoining, they were directly across from each other. He offered to change the assigned rooms to adjoining if I desired, and I told him they were fine as-is. On check-in, the young woman again offered the change, if it would make our stay easier. True concern for their clientele's comfort. And the fresh cookies every evening are a nice touch. Never got a chance to partake in Happy Hour though.

The rooms were very nice, with modern decorating, clean and fresh with very comfortable beds. The restaurant served excellent breakfast options, with a few very minor errors in 'who-gets-what.' Parking was very-well-lit and plentiful, however they could use a couple more handicap spots.

This near-Torrey Pines location is a great alternative to downtown San Diego, and much quieter than downtown. I'd stay here again instead of downtown, which is a quick drive away.

Room Tip: When booking a balcony room, ask if it has obstructed (or no) view. Mine had none being directly ove...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank DaveS4728
Dave,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your recent experience as our guest. I am happy to hear that you felt true concern from out team, as we really do care about our guests comfort and needs. You must try our Bistro 39 happy hour during your next visit, our mix of locals and hotel guests truly provide an amazing and comfortable environment with delicious food and drinks. lt was our absolute pleasure to have your family and yourself with us and we look forward to having you back during your next visit to beautiful San Diego.