“Excellent”

Ranked #8 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Bismarck, Arkansas
“Excellent”
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I enjoyed my stay at this property. The hotel was clean, the staff was friendly and professional, the rooms were above average. If you are staying in northern San Diego, this is a great place.
The breakfast was great. Some of the best eggs benedict ever! We were warmly welcomed by staff at the front desk. In all of our encounters with employees of this hotel, a smile was on their face and they were sensitive to our requests

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Bakersfield, ca
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I enjoyed my stay at this property. The hotel was clean, the staff was friendly and professional, the rooms were above average, but the property was too far away from the things I enjoy about San Diego. If you are staying in northern San Diego, this is a great place. The breakfast was pretty decent, and the property is pretty pristine. If we could just move it a little closer to San Diego proper...
One more thing: the staff at the hotel, reception, wait staff, were polite and nice. Thank you for being wonderful hosts for us!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Kevin E, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience as our guest. I am very pleased that you felt welcomed by our "polite" and "professonal" team from our front desk to our Bistro servers. It was our pleasure to have you as our guest and we hope to see you during your next trip to beautiful San Diego!
S.F. Bay Area
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We recently spent 3 nights at the Hilton Garden Inn San Diego. We were warmly welcomed by staff at the front desk. In all of our encounters with employees of this hotel, a smile was on their face and they were sensitive to our requests. Bill Songer, food and beverage manager, not only greeted us one evening, he remembered us and greeted us with a smile the next morning. Food was good in their restaurant, beds were comfortable, the room was very clean and I really liked the Keurig coffee maker in the room. The hotel is centrally located and in easy driving distance from Del Mar, Sea World and other attractions. It is close enough to the freeway for easy access, but far enough away that there is no freeway noise.

Room Tip: We like the rooms on the 4th floor facing the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Gilbert, Arizona
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I travel a lot for my job and see a lot of hotels. This one stands out as one of the best in terms of overall customer service, cleanliness and overall quality. The service at this hotel is better than most of the high-priced ones I've stayed at in larger cities. Excellent hotel!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business

San Diego, California
Reviewed 1 August 2013

A lot of people might not think of a smaller hotel like this for a party but it's perfect. I had heard from several friends about great experiences holding their child's bar/bat mitzvah here, but wasn't too sure I wanted to use it. I have 9 years experience working in 4 & 5 Star large resorts and have always thought that was way to go. I decided to check it out after many recommendations.

There is only one ballroom, so you will be the only party and when I say you get all the attention because of that, I mean it. The staff bent over backwards to meet our every need! With having experience in this field, I am pretty specific to my needs and details. The Catering Manager Terri Miller was attentive and responsive and wonderful! As the party neared, our phone calls became more frequent and she was able to remind me of things I needed to do that weren't part of her job but little details I may forgotten that I needed to take care of. She helped me when I was the most frazzled! I was on a strict budget and Terri worked with me and helped me figure out what would work best. (I will talk about the food later). I was not working with a decor person and was doing it on my own. I was able to drop of a bunch of decorations the day before and Terri and her staff happily set everything up so it looked amazing! A big amount of time I didn't have to worry about using up during my busy weekend.

Last minute I called Terri because I had forgotten one of my guests was gluten free. Terri called me back with in 5 minutes with exactly what my guest could eat that I had already included in our menu and what exactly they would do for substitutions. There was also a boy at our party who didn't tell anyone until the actual party that he was gluten free and he was taken care of immediately and with no problem.

During the party I felt that not only did everything go smoothly and perfectly, but that again, the staff was there to make us happy. Terri was always easy to find and if I had any need it was quickly taken care of and with a great attitude. The F&B Manager Bill Songer was also highly visible and checking in with me to make sure we had everything we needed and was super nice. All of the banquet staff, Manny, Daniel, Ema, and Shari were terrific!

On to the food...one word...AMAZING. As I've mentioned, I've had many 4-star and 5-star experiences and this easily compares! I had heard the food was great here, but thought with a smaller hotel it might not be the same experience as a resort. We had a buffet for the adults with a mushroom chicken that was delicious and a lemon salmon that my guests talked about for days! Buffets can be iffy but everything was hot, plentiful and cooked to perfection! I have to mention also, that I had met with a few of the hotels in the area where everyone has their bar mitzvah's and for what I ordered for my guests I would've paid double and been required to meet a much higher minimum. This was perfect! A 5-star experience in my book and I would book them a gain in a heartbeat if I have another event!

Overall, a perfect experience. The MOST important part was that my son had the time of his life and said he wouldn't have changed a thing.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
San Diego, California
Reviewed 1 August 2013

There are few places you can go where feeling like family comes natural. But, that is exactly how you feel when you visit the HGI as we like to call it. The staff is warm and friendly, but not fake. It is as if the owner of the hotel has allowed each person the opportunity to excel to their highest potential. While there this evening one of the staff whose name is Jessica Woolfrey was spot on. She was friendly and funny with lots of good conversation. She had no problem waiting on us or serving us with a glad heart. It is this type of environment that makes you want to visit again and again. If that was not enough a lady named Kim Whittemore was equally attentive to us and really just made you feel welcomed. There was just a feel or vibe to the whole experience that makes you appreciate your visit.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms here
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Greg B
Greg,

We appreciate you taking the time to write such a genuine and descriptive review of your visit. Ownership, Jessica, Kim and the rest of team here at HGI truly care about each of our guests and we have been fortunate enough to build a culture to reflect that. We are thrilled that you enjoy the environment that we provide and look forward to having you back.
West Springfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We had a wonderful time in SoCal last week. This hotel was chosen for wedding guests from out of town. Being from Massachusetts we wanted to extend our stay to a full 5 nights to be able to really see San Diego and surrounding areas. Despite the ComicCon demands, the hotel was able to accommodate us. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The accommodations were comfortable and clean. We had breakfast in the Bistro 4 of the 5 days, sometimes with friends, and were happy with the individually prepared food as well as the buffet. The fruit was fresh and sweet - we often find melon in hotel restaurants to be underripe or overripe, but here it was perfect.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple