“Very Nice hotel”

Hilton Garden Inn San Diego Del Mar
Ranked #15 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
“Very Nice hotel”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

My family stayed here for 2 days and the staff was really nice and helpful. There were some minor complaints but they weren't something we couldn't deal with. The walls could be a bit thicker because on the first night we spent there, we could hear the people next door laughing and their kids yelling. The only other complaint was that our view from the window was blocked off by part off by another part of the building.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Sheerness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Myself and my two teenage daughters spent 2 nights here for a brief visit to San Diego. The hotel staff were very pleasant and the room was very comfortable. Location quite handy for the San Diego attractions (15-20 minutes from Sea World, 25 minutes to Old Town area). WiFi signal in the room was very poor and unreliable during our stay which isn't really acceptable these days. Breakfast was nice but an additional $12.95 each, adding approx. $40 to a bill where other hotels during our trip offered complimentary breakfasts.
Overall very pleasant but didn't offer great value for a family stay when compared with other hotels used in our 2 week trip around California.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
MSP
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

First time to stay here. The staff is friendly and welcoming. Breakfast is great, especially if you can get it included in your room price.

The public areas are relaxing. The outdoor pool and horrible are refreshing after along work day.

Would stay here again.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Parris P, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear MNTravellerMspMSP,

Thank you greatly for taking the time to provide us with a five star review, it truly is appreciated. I'm very glad to see that you found our staff to be friendly and welcoming and that you enjoyed the breakfast. I'm glad we were able to make your first stay a memorable one, and we look forward to serving you next time you're in the San Diego area. Should you have any further comments, questions, or suggestions, please feel free to contact me personally.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I stayed at the HGI San Diego Del Mar for three days recently and was absolutely blown away by the staff (from management to housekeeping), the room, and the food. Honestly, I was treated as if a king by everyone; the housekeeper gave me as many free waters as I liked (stopped at three...), the front desk person (wish I had gotten her name) called five restaurants to see if they were still serving late for me - and then called ahead to the one I chose, the waitress was super-attentive and the busboy made my olive oil and basalmic vinegar in this! (see photo). Simply amazing. And the olive oil was delicious! Can't recommend highly enough.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank b h
Dear B H,

Thank you greatly for taking the time to not only create a tripadvisor account, but for also allowing us to be your first five star review. I'm very happy to see that you had a pleasant interaction with each staff member, and that we were able to treat you like a king. Thank you very much for sharing your picture of the oil and vinegar, we love providing these small touches to enhance your stay. Should you have any further comments, questions, or suggestions, please feel free to contact me personally.

Anaheim, United States
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Wonderful staff and stay. Filming a commercial for the hotel, the staff was wonderful and accommodating. From the moment we walked in to our time at the bar to breakfast in the morning, everyone went above and beyond to make sure we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

1 Thank Courtney B
Parris P, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Courtney B,

Thank you greatly for taking the time to review your stay with us. I'm glad to see you enjoyed our staff and breakfast and that the filming did not disrupt your stay. We sincerely appreciate the 5 star review as we aim to be in the Top 10 of San Diego hotels. Should you have any further comments, questions, or suggestions, please feel free to contact me personally.

Los Angeles
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Terrific option for a stay in the San Diego area. Location is 15 minutes from SD attractions (Balboa Park, Zoo, SeaWorld) and just as close to North County (beaches, Del Mar). And then after a day in the crowds and sun, you get to come back to this home base, a peaceful remove (but really just a couple of blocks) from the freeway. Room felt recently redone; bed was comfy; room was very spacious. Staff was extremely friendly, welcoming, and professional and hunted down extra amenities as needed. We're in the area at least once a year and will definitely be back. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, ask for a room at the end of the hall (far from the elevators) without an adjoini...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Parris P, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Archinerds,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us, it truly is appreciated. I'm ecstatic to see that you enjoyed our quiet location while still being able to enjoy all the San Diego attractions. I'm also very pleased to see that you were satisfied with the room and staff during your stay. We look forward to seeing you again next year, should you have any comments, questions, or suggestions before then, please feel free to contact me personally.

sacramento, United States
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I stayed here during Comic Con. I chose this place because it was central to the Con, Zoo, La Jolla, Wild Animal Park, and Legoland. It is a bit inconvenient due to distance to stay here if your main focus is the zoo, Gaslamp, or the Con. At the same time the hotel is quieter because it's away from the crowds. Parking is free and easy and they offer free WiFi. The hotel is on the small end. There are only 3-4 floors. However, I found this a plus because I never felt the hotel was crowded even though the hotel was booked. We had a room next to the elevator even though I specifically requested not to be near the elevator both online and by phone. Luckily the noise wasn't an issue. We had a leak in the ceiling in the bathroom that got our stuff on the bathroom counter wet. The staff fixed and cleaned up the problem before we came back to our room from Comic Con. The beds were fine. The room was small with two queens but was adequate for a family of 4. We were just there to sleep anyway. The weight room was small but adequate with a few treadmills. It only had one bench though and free weights only went up to 30 lbs. I did not eat breakfast there but the eating area is quaint and clean. The staff is what made this place stand out. The night time front desk manager, I think his name was Alex, was a big help. He was very courteous and made check in fast and easy at 11pm. He even called a cab for me at 3am so we could get to the Con early. Paaris, the day time front desk manager, was also friendly and helped correct my bill. The hotel charged me at a higher rate than what was quoted through the online reservation. Every staff member I encountered was friendly and helpful. A staff member pushed the elevator button for us before we got there in the lobby even though he wasn't using the elevator. He saw us carrying a lot of stuff we got from the Con and tried to make our lives easier. Although I was not eating breakfast, I happened to be standing near the area and an employee approached me and explained to me the menu and buffet process just in case. He then asked the reason for our stay and struck up a conversation about Comic Con. To summarize, we were given a room near the elevator even though we requested specifically not to have such a room. We had a leak in the bathroom ceiling. We were overcharged for our stay. Yet with all of these problems, I would still stay here again. It's a basic hotel with adequate rooms, but the staff makes this place stand out. Thanks for everything!!! The bigwigs for this hotel should recognize the staff for their A+ attitude.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Dear Brad S,

I apologize if this is redundant from the email I sent before, but thank you very much for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. Once again I apologize for the inconvenience you initially faced, and I appreciate your patience in letting us resolve the issues. Should you have any further comments, questions, or suggestions, please feel free to contact me personally.