Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch
Ranked #5 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
San Diego, California
“Welcome Home!”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I really appreciated that the front desk staff offered a couple of options as to where I wanted to stay in the hotel. You rarely see that kind of generosity and I spend a LOT of time on the road. When we got to the second available unit, I fell in love with it immediately as it was set up like a real home.. a separate bedroom, a cute kitchen with breakfast bar, and a livingroom with a fireplace! I will definitely choose Residence Inn at Carmel Mtn Ranch the next time the opportunity arises. Thank you so much for making me feel at home.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
GregM-Schmidt, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
KKMKS,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor.

I'm so glad to hear you felt right at home the minute you walked into your room. This is exactly what we strive for.

We look forward to hosting you the next time you are in San Diego.

Greg Schmidt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Reviewed 9 May 2014

This hotel has suites that work well for extended stays: Living room/ kitchen, bathroom, bedroom. Even if you don't plan to cook, it's nice having a fridge, microwave etc. and silverware/ plates so you don't have to eat your take out food from a Styrofoam box.

The room isn't particualrly fancy, but everything was clean and in working order, with the exception of the clothes iron. A quick call to the front desk and a new one was delivered within 30 minutes. The bed was comfortable and the shower delivered sufficient pressure to wake up in the morning. The TV was decent, but the sofa was rather uncomfortable. I'm still waiting for a hotel that dispenses with all the surplus chairs and sofas and puts a nice recliner in there.

The exercise room is small but the equipment is in excellent shape (two treadmills, elliptical, weights). Staff was friendly and helpful. There are a number of patio setups throughout the property where you can sit outside and grill.

People at this hotel are early risers. I showed up for breakfast at 7:45 and a lot of the items had already been picked clean. The buffet has the usual line up of cereal, yogurt, waffles, eggs etc. but the fruit was all gone. There is a "manager social" from 5pm-7pm, with free drinks and snacks/ light dinner. Nice if you're having a late dinner or not go out. There are a lot of stores and restaurants close by, some within walking distance.

In short, a comfortable hotel that is great for an extended stay.

Bas P,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor.

I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that we were able to fix the problem with your broken iron so quickly.

I know our complimentary breakfast is extremely popular with our guests due to the wide variety of choices people have. We will work harder to ensure the food is kept stocked for those guests arriving later in the morning. However, I don't think 7:45 is that late, I'd like to sleep a little longer myself.

Thanks again and we look forward to hosting you the next time you are in San Diego.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Extra clean hotel with conveninet access to amenities and the highwayVery clean hotel with convenient access to amenities and the highway. Staff was very courteous and prompt and breakfast in the morning was pretty good. Room was decent size with a full kitchen and living room in addition to the bedroom..

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
GregM-Schmidt, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
hank187,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor.

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your time with us and we look forward to hosting you the next time you are in San Diego.

San Diego, California
Reviewed 8 May 2014

The Front Desk Staff is very helpful and polite; they try their best to accommodate your needs. I will stay here anytime I am in San Diego. The rooms are nice and clean, the gym is small but adequate for a short term stay. The breakfast and evening reception is nice.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
joel L,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor,

I couldn't agree more, we have the best staff here at the Residence Inn Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch. Each associate takes pride in delivering top notch customer service. I will be sure to share your comments with the team.

Thanks again.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

I frequently travel to San Diego for business. This is always my first choice to stay!!

The hotel and rooms are very clean. The staff is great - always pleasant, happy and professional. Breakfast and evening foods/drinks are wonderful!! Easy check in/out. Close to tons of restaurants and shopping.

Room Tip: I enjoy staying in building one as it's close to the lobby and breakfast area.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Brandi J,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor, we truly appreciate it.

I'm so glad to hear that the Residence Inn Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch is your hotel of choice when visiting San Diego. We look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Lusby, Maryland
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Very clean hotel with nice outside area. Confidently located next to large selection of shopping/ eating choices and near highway 15 access. Wireless internet speed was good. Staff is helpful and pleasant. My only complaint was that during the early morning hours (3am to 5am) it seemed as if the Air Conditioning units were not running at the temperature setting (room was warmer) then at 5:30am they ran full blast to get it to temp. If this did not occur I would have given this hotel above average overall.

Room Tip: If your computer does not support wireless and you think you'll need internet access, you have t...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
GregM-Schmidt, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
John S,

I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed the location, service and aminities of our hotel. I do apologize for the trouble you experienced with your air conditioning. As I'm sure you experienced, we had a big heat wave come through San Diego over these dates and it sounds like your AC was being put to the test. I have had our engineer take a look at it so that the next guest will not have the same issues. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

We look forward to hosting you again the next time you are in San Diego.

Thanks again,

Reviewed 1 May 2014

My wife and I recently celebrated our 5th year wedding anniversary in San Diego. We decided to give it a try and stayed at the Residence Inn in Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain. It turned out that was the best lodging choice we had ever made.
The service we received at Residence Inn in Rancho Bernardo/ Carmel Mountain was truly remarkable. From pre-check in to check out, everything we experienced was unquestionably first class. First of all, I was pleasantly surprised in receiving a greeting email from Cally Chambers, the property coordinator welcoming my upcoming stay prior to our arrival. In addition, she genuinely asked if there was anything she could do to make my stay more enjoyable and that she would be glad to be of assistance.
I replied by mentioning we would be celebrating our wedding anniversary and requested early check in and a nice quiet room. She replied promptly and honored my request. On my check in date, I arrived later than expected. However, we were very happy to hear from Theresa, the front desk receptionist, that she had been well expecting us since morning and that a cozy room was already blocked for us in advance. She greeted us with a great smile and more importantly, she welcome and congratulated us on our wedding anniversary upon our check in :)
When we got to our room, we found a card signed with well wishes by the staff and some goodies set aside for us to indulge. And periodically Theresa would check with us to see if everything was to our satisfaction and offered us recommendations from dining to local attractions.
In short, we had an extraordinary stay at Residence Inn in Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain. I graciously thank the hotel staff and management team for their hospitality during our stay! Let alone the outstanding level of customer service I received, and not to mention its convenient location with easy access to freeway, a superb facility of great amenities, very clean room, serene environment, and best of all, a very good night sleep, I would definitely stay there should we ever travelled again to San Diego.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms tend to be more tranquil with better view. Away from the pool as it gets very no...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
GregM-Schmidt, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
W K,

First, Happy Anniversary!

We have a wonderful staff here at the Residence Inn Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain ranch and I'm so glad to hear they took great care of you during your stay. I will be sure to share your comments with our team.

Thanks again.