Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch
Ranked #5 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 19 August 2014

My husband and I recently experienced a sewer back up in our home that forced us and our two dogs to evacuate to the Residence Inn. We arrived at 11:00 AM and the very kind woman at the front desk allowed us to check in early! All the staff members were very kind and accommodating. Even housekeeping was kind enough to clean our room every day at 10:00 AM so we could be sure to have our dogs out of the room. Then we found out that our stay needed to be extended two more days, the front desk was kind enough to make those arrangements. The staff here helped us get thru a tough time!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
GregM-Schmidt, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Sharon G,

I can't even imagin how stressful it must have been for you to have that happen to your home. I'm so glad that we were able to take care of you and your family during this time.

I think I met you and your husband during our PAWS fundraiser. Thank you for coming out to support this worthy cause.

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

This is my second post (first post Dec 14, 2013). I wanted to again acknowledge the great staff, especially Dehl, who is always there when I check in during the evenings. She is very courteous and remembers the buildings and rooms I enjoy staying in. She is awesome. I appreciate that in my first post, I mentioned that I wished the pillows were fuller; they now are. Thanks for listening!

I will continue staying here when I travel to this area.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
GregM-Schmidt, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

suareru,

Welcome back!

We are so glad to have you stay with us again and really appreciate you taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor.

One of the great things about our staff is that they get to know our guests. This allows us to reserve the rooms we know they like in their favorite building location.

Thanks again.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

I suppose after reading so many positive reviews, my expectations were too high.

The front desk was outstanding. The woman we dealt with was professional and extremely helpful. The baby crib in the room had a note saying they could get us whatever we needed for the baby (if we forgot something). Love that. Appreciate that.

We were also able to check in early. Thank you!

The room was much smaller than anticipated. It had everything we needed and more, but it was smaller than any other Residence Inn suites that we have stayed in. Tiny is the right word here.

They had the $5 bottle of water in the fridge. Yuck. I always say, leave a free bottle of water in the room, or leave nothing at all.

The bed was lumpy and not comfortable. It slanted in the middle as well. When I got up from the bed, the wife complained of sliding towards the middle.

Breakfast was lacking. We arrived about an hour after it started and 50% of the items were empty. There is one waffle maker that takes 2 minutes and 30 seconds per waffle for all those people there in the morning. Do the math. You probably are not getting a waffle.

It was a quick one night stay. If you can pay under $100/night, go for it. Anything over $100, there are better options.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Baronent
GregM-Schmidt, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Baronent,

I'm so glad to hear that our Front Desk staff was so accommodating and friendly. Regarding the note in your crib stating that we are happy to provide anything you many need or have forgotten, that is very sincere as we recognize when traveling with kids or infants, it's very common to leave things behind.

As far as your concerns about our property, I'm very surprised to hear of these simply because, as you stated, we have nothing but positive reviews and the concerns you mention have not been brought to our attention in the past. That's definitely not to say they are not valid concerns. We are always looking to improve and feedback such as yours only helps us achieve this.

I have never been to a hotel that provided complimentary water so I don't see that changing anytime soon. However, we will be replacing all mattressees and boxsprings in the coming months, so please look forward to giving us another try for a better night sleep.

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

I have to admit that my stay didn't start very well, but that was the fault of the Marriott company as a whole rather than this individual hotel. I was deciding between two weekends and had to choose one due to my travel buddy's work schedule. During that weekend, they would not honor AAA, Friends and Family, or my military discounts so I ended up paying an additional $160 a NIGHT!
At check-in, the woman at the front desk told us to let them know if we had any issues with our stay so they could be remedied before we reviewed. While I appreciate the desire to make our stay good, her wording was more of a request to not write bad reviews. Luckily, we had a very nice stay! The rooms were great. My husband and his sister haven't stayed at a Residence Inn before and were very impressed with the stocked kitchen. Breakfasts were well stocked despite all the Comicon, sport tournaments, and family reunion guests. The best surprise was how close the hotel was to restaurants and shopping. We could have walked!
I'd definitely stay here again... but only if they honored my discounts.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jane P
GregM-Schmidt, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Jane P,

I'm so glad to hear that we exceeded your expectations.

Sounds like you were staying with us during the busiest time of year, ComiCon. All of San Diego is sold out over these dates but I'm so happy that we were able to accommodate you.

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

We stayed here for a couple of weeks while we were house hunting. Management and front desk personnel is very friendly and helpful. We wanted to switch to an upper floor room after a couple of days, and Theresa made sure we got the first room available. Breakfast is included, plus every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday a light dinner is served (Julia is the sweetest lady). We stayed in a one bedroom. The kitchen has two small electric burners and a microwave. We did not even attempt to cook dinner, which is okay because there are plenty of restaurants to choose from close by.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor room. Due to wood structure, and depending on the courtesy of your upstairs n...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Tjoes87,

Congratulations on finding a new home and welcome to San Diego.

I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that we were able to accommodate your request for a room change.

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

I had the opportunity to stay again at the Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo / Carmel Mountain Ranch. As usual, the staff is delightful - especially Ketan.

Due to a flight delay, I could not check in until 11:30pm. When I arrived at the hotel, I was quickly checked in with a smile!

Room was clean. Pillows super comfortable. Breakfast was great!!

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Brandi J
GregM-Schmidt, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Brandi J,

Welcome back.

I'm so glad you have made the Residence Inn Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch your hotel of choice when visiting San Diego. We look forward to welcoming you each time you come.

I will be sure to share your comments with Ketan and our Housekeeping team.

Thanks again.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

I'm very happy with my experience so far. The staff is extremely helpful and accommodating, especially Theresa at the front desk.the rooms are clean and well furnished. additionally, there are about 15 to 20 restaurants within 5 minutes driving and many within walking distance. Well located,this is a perfect spot for work or play.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank phil29906
GregM-Schmidt, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

phill29906,

Welcome to the Residence Inn Rancho Bernardo. We are so happy to have you here with us. Looks like this really will be your home away from home for a while.

I believe I was at the Front Desk when you first arrived, we are so happy to have you with us. If there's anything you need while you're here, please don't hesitate to call on any of us.

Thanks you.