Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch
Ranked #4 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
San Francisco, California
“Almost perfect stay”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Ever since I tried residence inn I have always stayed in it and even recommend to friends. It has a home away from home feel.
Theresa on our first day is very welcoming, helped us check in early, which is a big thing traveling form 8 hours from SFO. The room is also perfect being close to the pool, the children loves it.
Every morning Theresa will greet us consistently asking if we are having a comfortable stay.
Del, during the afternoon is also very helpful, a good resource person with where to go for things.
Coming back from a hectic day, Del will make you feel you are already home.
Breakfast is likewise something the children is looking forward to. Vilma and the other gentleman is making sure the food is refilled, making the area clean and welcoming to eat breakfast in.

NOW WHY AN ALMOST PERFECT STAY?
Our last night was a disappointment.
We came back to the hotel around 9. Janice from the front desk called us asking us to keep it down because a guest was complaining about the "noise" we were making. FYI WE JUST CAME BACK
I checked in with 4 kids, one of them has special needs. I told her that i will take care of it.
Janice called us again past 1030, telling us to keep the noise down AGAIN. the children were already sleeping, my son who is autistic i already "drugged" for the sake of that hotel guest, the adults on the other hand we were waking tiptoe-ing not to disturb that special guest.
The most disappointing part is she just assumed that it was us!
Come on, during those hours I can still hear somebody else banging something, dog barking when you walk around the vicinity.
Is she picking on us because we are not white? English not our first language? Or is it because I have a child who is different?
She made me feel we were discriminated!
If she assumes a position in the front desk, she should be sensitive to not only one of the hotel guest but to everybody who is check-in. We stayed here for 5 nights.
That second call if it didn't happen could have made this stay an excellent one.
What she should have done is she should have investigated who was making those"noises" and not assume that it was us.
So for the big bosses in Residence Inn you should probably review your employee's behaviors.
The staff represents the hotel's reputation.

Room Tip: Building 8, not a good area to be in although the laundry is there. The elevator is stinky, i am g...
2 Thank titahapz
GregM-Schmidt, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
titahapz,

That is exactly what we strive for here at Residence Inn, to make our guests feel like it's a "home away from home". It sounds like we exceded this goal with the service you experienced with Theresa and Dhel at the Front Desk and Vilma and Frank in our Gatehouse.

I do remember you and your family staying with us and I could tell when I saw all of you at breakfast each morning that you were enjoying yourselves. It was too bad that unfortunately we did get some complaints from other guests during breakfast regarding the noise level. I personally tried explaining that we do have guests that have special needs and to please be more understanding. I did also offer to provide other locations for these guests to enjoy their breakfast. I never brought this to your attention because I did not want you to feel uncomfortable or change anything about your stay. I truly admire how you and your family conduct yourselves as any other family should. It should not make a difference just because you have a child with special needs.

Please be assured that Janice was doing her job and handling the situation as she would with any other guest when it comes to a noise complaint. We try very hard to make sure all of our guests have a relaxing and peacful experience when they stay with us.

We pride ourselves on having not only a very diverse work force but also the fact that we take care of guests from all over the world. We treat all of these guests as if they are in our home and that is what we will continue to always do.

Thanks again for sharing your comments on TripAdvisor.

Greg Schmidt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
San Diego, California
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We stay here a lot and Del has consistently been a true sweetheart. She goes above and beyond and always exceeds expectations. She always makes sure me and my family are well taken care of. She is warm and welcoming and I am not afraid to ask her for help, like I am with other people there. I love the breakfast here and how the hotel is close to EVERYTHING. Housekeeping is on top of their game although one time after a cleaning, my toothbrush tasted like cleaning chemicals!!! My worst nightmare staying in a hotel :( Stay here and make sure you say hi to Del :)

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
GregM-Schmidt, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Judy L,

As you probably already know, Dhel has been wish us for a long time and she is probably one of the sweetest people I know. I'm so glad to hear that you have been able to experience her hospitality.

Regarding our Breakfast, I consistently hear from our guests how impressed they are with the wide variety of offerings and they are amazed it's all complimentary. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Thank you for sharing your comments.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

At first, the staffs at this hotel are very helpful. Theresa really helped me when i needed help. She did answer all the questions i asked. She is very friendly and easy to talk to. Overall, I enjoyed my stay at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Thanh N,

Yes, Theresa is an outstanding associate. She is consistently mentioned here on TripAdvisor by our guests. I will be sure to share your comments with her.

Thank you for taking the timeto share your comments.

San Diego, California
Reviewed 19 August 2014

My husband and I recently experienced a sewer back up in our home that forced us and our two dogs to evacuate to the Residence Inn. We arrived at 11:00 AM and the very kind woman at the front desk allowed us to check in early! All the staff members were very kind and accommodating. Even housekeeping was kind enough to clean our room every day at 10:00 AM so we could be sure to have our dogs out of the room. Then we found out that our stay needed to be extended two more days, the front desk was kind enough to make those arrangements. The staff here helped us get thru a tough time!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Sharon G,

I can't even imagin how stressful it must have been for you to have that happen to your home. I'm so glad that we were able to take care of you and your family during this time.

I think I met you and your husband during our PAWS fundraiser. Thank you for coming out to support this worthy cause.

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor.

Lakewood, California
Reviewed 17 August 2014

This is my second post (first post Dec 14, 2013). I wanted to again acknowledge the great staff, especially Dehl, who is always there when I check in during the evenings. She is very courteous and remembers the buildings and rooms I enjoy staying in. She is awesome. I appreciate that in my first post, I mentioned that I wished the pillows were fuller; they now are. Thanks for listening!

I will continue staying here when I travel to this area.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
GregM-Schmidt, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
suareru,

Welcome back!

We are so glad to have you stay with us again and really appreciate you taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor.

One of the great things about our staff is that they get to know our guests. This allows us to reserve the rooms we know they like in their favorite building location.

Thanks again.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 16 August 2014

I suppose after reading so many positive reviews, my expectations were too high.

The front desk was outstanding. The woman we dealt with was professional and extremely helpful. The baby crib in the room had a note saying they could get us whatever we needed for the baby (if we forgot something). Love that. Appreciate that.

We were also able to check in early. Thank you!

The room was much smaller than anticipated. It had everything we needed and more, but it was smaller than any other Residence Inn suites that we have stayed in. Tiny is the right word here.

They had the $5 bottle of water in the fridge. Yuck. I always say, leave a free bottle of water in the room, or leave nothing at all.

The bed was lumpy and not comfortable. It slanted in the middle as well. When I got up from the bed, the wife complained of sliding towards the middle.

Breakfast was lacking. We arrived about an hour after it started and 50% of the items were empty. There is one waffle maker that takes 2 minutes and 30 seconds per waffle for all those people there in the morning. Do the math. You probably are not getting a waffle.

It was a quick one night stay. If you can pay under $100/night, go for it. Anything over $100, there are better options.

1 Thank Baronent
GregM-Schmidt, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Baronent,

I'm so glad to hear that our Front Desk staff was so accommodating and friendly. Regarding the note in your crib stating that we are happy to provide anything you many need or have forgotten, that is very sincere as we recognize when traveling with kids or infants, it's very common to leave things behind.

As far as your concerns about our property, I'm very surprised to hear of these simply because, as you stated, we have nothing but positive reviews and the concerns you mention have not been brought to our attention in the past. That's definitely not to say they are not valid concerns. We are always looking to improve and feedback such as yours only helps us achieve this.

I have never been to a hotel that provided complimentary water so I don't see that changing anytime soon. However, we will be replacing all mattressees and boxsprings in the coming months, so please look forward to giving us another try for a better night sleep.

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

New Bern, North Carolina
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I have to admit that my stay didn't start very well, but that was the fault of the Marriott company as a whole rather than this individual hotel. I was deciding between two weekends and had to choose one due to my travel buddy's work schedule. During that weekend, they would not honor AAA, Friends and Family, or my military discounts so I ended up paying an additional $160 a NIGHT!
At check-in, the woman at the front desk told us to let them know if we had any issues with our stay so they could be remedied before we reviewed. While I appreciate the desire to make our stay good, her wording was more of a request to not write bad reviews. Luckily, we had a very nice stay! The rooms were great. My husband and his sister haven't stayed at a Residence Inn before and were very impressed with the stocked kitchen. Breakfasts were well stocked despite all the Comicon, sport tournaments, and family reunion guests. The best surprise was how close the hotel was to restaurants and shopping. We could have walked!
I'd definitely stay here again... but only if they honored my discounts.

Green Features: I'm not sure if the sheets were changed daily, but new towels were provided every day, even though we'd hung them.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jane P
GregM-Schmidt, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Jane P,

I'm so glad to hear that we exceeded your expectations.

Sounds like you were staying with us during the busiest time of year, ComiCon. All of San Diego is sold out over these dates but I'm so happy that we were able to accommodate you.

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.