“Worth it”

Fairmont Grand Del Mar
Ranked #2 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We wanted to try something different on this trip to San Diego and this was a pleasant surprise. Very classy hotel with luxurious setting, beautiful landscape and attention to detail. The staff goes above and beyond to accomodate guests and make sure they have a great time. Nice spa.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Alison M
Write a ReviewReviews (1,806)

Reviewed 12 November 2013

I have frequent business in San Diego and can always count on a luxurious room. They somehow know what rooms I prefer. They always have my key ready when I arrive and tend to every need I have. I love a quick breakfast at C'entanni. The pastries are wonderful and for an afternoon snack, the gelato is great. I love the heated pool near the spa. It is great for a morning workout.

Room Tip: If you like to swim, they have rooms with a courtyard to open to the pool near the spa.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

Gorgeous grounds
Large bathroom
Decent sized room
Close (approx 15 to 20 min from legoland to La jolla) to major attractions
Great pools for kids - swam in November
Great pool for adults - lap pool
Delicious food, albeit expensive

Had a relaxing time with 5 year old and 9 month old. Accommodating with infants and little kids. Planning to come back next year.

Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 11 November 2013

This trip was set up through work, but I can say that I have never been more happy to be at a resort. I never understood why people would spend so much money on a room, but this was well worth it. The grounds, restaurants, spa, activities, everything was great! My room was spectacular with views of the grounds. I enjoyed sitting on my patio reading while relaxing. An evening soak in the tub was great as well. I cannot wait to return here and eat at Addison where I had the best beef I've ever eaten (and I'm from the midwest where beef is king)! It is not right on the beach, so if you're looking for that beach experience, you will have to drive the 15 minutes.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Great Resort with awesome facilities, I have hesitation is recommending this resort as truly 5 star resort. One of the best resort employees I have ever seen. We will keep coming back and keep recommending this resort to friends and family.

Room Tip: All the rooms are having amazing view of stunning golf course.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 November 2013

An impressive drive up to an impressive hotel, through what looked like an impressive golf course. First impressions were good and didnt disappoint. The service on arrival was excellent and continued throughout with champagne and even a cake delivered to the room for my birthday. Pool and hot tub areas were clean with under water music a new one to me. Dinner was superb and the bar areas also nice. We were only here a couple of nights but managed to relax totally after the mayhem of a Vegas trip before. Only small downsides were that we founf it quite a long way from anywhere we wnated to visit, so location couldve been better for us , but thats probably our fault, and we lost an item of clothing from our room, not that i thought it was deliberate as i think it probably got caught up in the linen but still a little annoying.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bookster
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

I did not have the pleasure of staying at this fine hotel. I work for a company that provides hotel childcare. I've seen and interacted with the staff of all of the top hotels in the San Diego area. I received the best service from the staff at the grand Del Mar. They didn't have to cater to me I pay no one's bills. But they did, every single staff member that I came in contact with. The location is lively as are the rooms. But the real reason to stay here is the service.

Stayed: November 2013