When you see the score of this resort on TripAdvisor, you ask "how can it really be that good?" Well, it is! It's no surprise LeBron James chose to have his wedding here in September.
This resort is special. My wife and I have stayed at many wonderful resorts over the years, but everything at The Grand Del Mar is taken up one notch - and it makes a difference.
* The grounds are immaculately kept; it's as if the entire resort is a world-class golf course (oh yeah, there's a world class golf course here too)
* The pools look brand new and you see the staff watching every last little detail on the pool deck, cleaning & straightening like it's the White House before a state dinner
* No nickel & diming - while amenities and food aren't cheap, they're quite reasonable. Case in point? Our package had no resort fee. Gelato is $2 per scoop at the coffee shop. They even offer a day at the beach - chairs, umbrella, & transportation included - for free. Oh yeah, there's also an S-Class Mercedes on call to take you anywhere in the Del Mar/La Jolla/Carmel Valley area free of charge.
* The food is excellent for a hotel. It's not the most amazing food I've ever had, but we were happy to have four meals over six days. We dined at the M-Club (small plates), Amaya (California-American), the coffee shop, and the pool and were quite happy with all of them. We didn't try the super-high end Addison restaurant.
* Turndown service includes high-end chocolates and/or chocolate covered Oreos.
* Housekeeping service cleans up your phone & computer charger cords, literally tying them with a bow.
I could go on and on and on. The room is immaculate and good-sized, and the bathroom is even nicer. The workout room is well-appointed and large. The spa looks amazing, though we didn't use the services.
Other items to note:
* While it definitely attracts a well-heeled crowd, the staff treats everyone with the utmost respect and high level of service. I always felt as welcomed as I ever have at any hotel.
* I think the location is a plus. Think quiet suburban country club in the hills. There's no single great location in the San Diego area and it's easy to drive around. The hotel is only a 20 min drive from downtown or La Jolla.
My only regret? The Grand Del Mar has somewhat ruined me for life - I'll just have to go back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Serenely nestled amidst San Diego's Los Penasquitos Canyon Preserve and a mere five miles from the Pacific coastline, Fairmont Grand Del Mar seamlessly combines the old-world charm of a Mediterranean estate with the modern luxury of an elegant resort. The result: TripAdvisor's #1 Luxury Hotel in California. Little wonder, given the sun-drenched climate, stunning natural beauty, championship golf course, one of only 25 Five-Star spas in the United States, and irresistible dining - epitomized by Addison, Southern California's only Five-Star/Five Diamond restaurant, helmed by Relais and Chateaux Grand Chef William Bradley. From the completely relaxing to the downright invigorating, you'll find a variety of ways to fill your days (and nights) at Fairmont Grand Del Mar. Engage in a seasonal mixology class. Take a dip in one of four heated pools. Enjoy an afternoon hike or horseback ride amid the pristine nature preserve. Or, sip signature cocktails at the resort's enticing lounges - all before retreating to your thoughtfully appointed guestroom. Welcome to the Grand life - just east of the Pacific and slightly north of expectations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Agoda, Fairmont Hotels and Odigeo so you can book your Fairmont Grand Del Mar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Grand Del Mar Hotel San Diego
- Grand Del Mar Hotel
- Grand Del Mar San Diego