“Can I give 6 stars?” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Missouri
“Can I give 6 stars?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

When you see the score of this resort on TripAdvisor, you ask "how can it really be that good?" Well, it is! It's no surprise LeBron James chose to have his wedding here in September.

This resort is special. My wife and I have stayed at many wonderful resorts over the years, but everything at The Grand Del Mar is taken up one notch - and it makes a difference.

* The grounds are immaculately kept; it's as if the entire resort is a world-class golf course (oh yeah, there's a world class golf course here too)

* The pools look brand new and you see the staff watching every last little detail on the pool deck, cleaning & straightening like it's the White House before a state dinner

* No nickel & diming - while amenities and food aren't cheap, they're quite reasonable. Case in point? Our package had no resort fee. Gelato is $2 per scoop at the coffee shop. They even offer a day at the beach - chairs, umbrella, & transportation included - for free. Oh yeah, there's also an S-Class Mercedes on call to take you anywhere in the Del Mar/La Jolla/Carmel Valley area free of charge.

* The food is excellent for a hotel. It's not the most amazing food I've ever had, but we were happy to have four meals over six days. We dined at the M-Club (small plates), Amaya (California-American), the coffee shop, and the pool and were quite happy with all of them. We didn't try the super-high end Addison restaurant.

* Turndown service includes high-end chocolates and/or chocolate covered Oreos.

* Housekeeping service cleans up your phone & computer charger cords, literally tying them with a bow.

I could go on and on and on. The room is immaculate and good-sized, and the bathroom is even nicer. The workout room is well-appointed and large. The spa looks amazing, though we didn't use the services.

Other items to note:
* While it definitely attracts a well-heeled crowd, the staff treats everyone with the utmost respect and high level of service. I always felt as welcomed as I ever have at any hotel.
* I think the location is a plus. Think quiet suburban country club in the hills. There's no single great location in the San Diego area and it's easy to drive around. The hotel is only a 20 min drive from downtown or La Jolla.

My only regret? The Grand Del Mar has somewhat ruined me for life - I'll just have to go back!

Room Tip: It honestly doesn't matter - views are equally beautiful wherever you look. Honestly.
1 Thank CardKirb08

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
  • Korean first
Newport Beach, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

I booked The Grand Del Mar as a romantic three day weekend getaway, and my husband and I had a lovely time. Check-in was a breeze and we enjoyed the fresh peach lemonade and sugar cookies they gave us at the front desk. Our room was gorgeous and well appointed. A television in the bathroom, a huge tub, and a large sitting area made the room extra comfortable. We could not have asked for a better view. We were directly overlooking the adult pool. All staff members were extremely pleasant and happy, especially everyone that worked in the beautiful spa. The spa manager was extremely professional and customer service oriented. Pool attendants were also very friendly, and we enjoyed the large hot tub. The whole property looked more like we were in Italy than in San Diego, which was fun. Chocolate dipped Oreos at turn down service were a treat!

In reality, I would have liked to give the hotel a 4 and 1/2 rating instead of 5, but I rounded up. The only negatives were minor, but things we did notice. Although our room location was perfect, we were directly below the area where there were tables and chairs that we would hear scraping each morning starting at 6 a.m. because people would order coffee and pastries at the cafe, and then pull up a loud chair to enjoy the beautiful view. If the resort would carpet this area so the chairs do not make the loud scraping noise, it would be so much better. Waking up to the sound of chairs being moved is not fun! The mattress was too firm for our liking, but that is just personal preference. Room service dinner was not great, but our dinner the first evening at the restaurant downstairs was fantastic. The music around the hotel was a little unusual. I don't really know what they are going for, but I think any other kind of music would be better than what is played.

The fire pit outside of the restaurant was a treat to sit near and enjoy our coffee after dinner. In all, it was a great resort. The only thing missing is the ocean, but Del Mar is just a 10 minute drive away from the resort. It reminded me a lot of Pelican Hill in Newport Beach, but the service was better at The Grand Del Mar. We enjoyed a relaxing weekend at this resort and will be back again to visit the hotel, restaurants, and the beautiful spa.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Montreal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

My wife and I just returned from 4 nights at the Grand Del Mar. We chose this resort because of the great reviews here, and it offered exactly what we were looking for. We ate at all the restaurants, used the spa daily, and I played on their golf course. It's not cheap, but worth every penny. The staff, at all levels, is extremely well trained. Everyone working there seems happy, and never say "no" to any request. Some staff members even called us by name ! Our room was the standard king room, but there was nothing standard about it ! Very big, marble and granite everywhere, and all the modern amenities imaginable. The WiFi was excellent. One evening my wife and I went downtown for dinner, and they took care of booking our reservation, and a private limo too. This place is like Vegas on the strip, without the noise and overcrowded venues. It's very peaceful, tranquil, and luxurious.
I would recommend this place without any hesitation to all family and friends, and can't wait to return.

2 Thank canuck64
Mandeville, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

Our business group of about 25 couples stayed here for our November meeting. Not all properties in this league are efficient with meeting accommodations but this was an exception. Our meetings begin with breakfast at 7:00 am each morning. I usually get there about 6:30. Not was everything already set up but our hot breakfast buffet was already out. The food was not just hot and fresh but was delicious!! Most places will serve what I call military eggs, not here. The entire meal was excellent and well attended by their quiet efficient staff. So, if you're looking for a world class hotel that can deliver a world class meeting, this is the place that will deliver! That aside, if you're just looking for a memorable visit to San Diego, look no more!

Room Tip: They're all good
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
McMinnville, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

We wanted to try something different on this trip to San Diego and this was a pleasant surprise. Very classy hotel with luxurious setting, beautiful landscape and attention to detail. The staff goes above and beyond to accomodate guests and make sure they have a great time. Nice spa.

Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Alison M
Mesa, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

I have frequent business in San Diego and can always count on a luxurious room. They somehow know what rooms I prefer. They always have my key ready when I arrive and tend to every need I have. I love a quick breakfast at C'entanni. The pastries are wonderful and for an afternoon snack, the gelato is great. I love the heated pool near the spa. It is great for a morning workout.

Room Tip: If you like to swim, they have rooms with a courtyard to open to the pool near the spa.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

Gorgeous grounds
Large bathroom
Decent sized room
Close (approx 15 to 20 min from legoland to La jolla) to major attractions
Great pools for kids - swam in November
Great pool for adults - lap pool
Delicious food, albeit expensive

Had a relaxing time with 5 year old and 9 month old. Accommodating with infants and little kids. Planning to come back next year.

Stayed November 2013