“The Best” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Denver, Colorado
“The Best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

I have had the good fortune to stay at a modest number of luxury resorts and hotels over the years and The Grand Del Mar is simply the best ever. My wife and I were there for a 4 day Valentine Weekend getaway. The property is gorgeous and immaculate. We had a King room overlooking the adult pool that was spacious, well appointed, huge bathroom, comfy bed and great, relaxing view. I am most impressed with the service. It is always attentive but not overbearing or intrusive, something that sometimes happens. For example, at the adult pool, an attendant would seem to appear immediately and quietly and provide help with towels and a glass of ice water. Additional food and beverage service was always available but never "in your way". Great golf course on the premises. Usual array of spa and food services. The in house restaurants are excellent although pricey. Located in north San Diego area, still easy to get to all San Diego attractions including very close access to Torrey Pines State Preserve, La Jolla, and other beach areas. Definitely will be back.

Room Tip: We loved the room overlooking the adult pool.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TroutFisher14

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (427)
  • Korean first
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

It's hard to say much new about this resort. It certainly deserves all of the accolades it's received in recent weeks. Although my stay was only 24 hours and I was traveling alone, I made a point to spend time in several areas of the hotel.

First, the food and beverage outlets:
The lobby lounge in the evening was a relaxing place to people watch. It was a Saturday so there were a variety of people coming and going for events at the hotel or for a nice dinner with friends. Although they serve a limited menu, I was able to order from the Amaya restaurant menu without issue.
Amaya is a wonderful restaurant for any meal. The service is outstanding. Don't miss an opportunity to sit on the patio even if it's a bit cool outside. They have clear glass to block the breeze and heaters if needed.
There is a market/cafe that serves coffee, sandwiches and my personal favorite - a fresh-squeezed juice of the day. The staff are so friendly and quick to suggest a beverage or baked treat.
Before I left on Sunday, I took advantage of their afternoon tea service. It's a very nice 3 course high-tea in the lobby lounge and library. My server was the same young woman who had served me the night before in the lobby lounge and she remembered me and asked if I enjoyed the sparkling wine that I enjoyed the night before - but I opted to stick with the tea.
At all of the above, there was one thing that impressed me consistently -- the quality of the baked goods and pastry items. I know it's an odd thing to notice, but from the pretzel rolls at Amaya to the bread on the finger sandwiches, to the scones, to the cookies and pastries in the market - every item was pure perfection. The tea server asked the kitchen and confirmed that all items are baked on site but I would venture to say the are baked by one of the best pastry chefs/bakers I've come across.
I regret I didn't get to try Addison, but look forward to doing so next time.

As for the other amenities on property...
The Spa is a beautiful and serene environment. One thing about the service that really stood out is that the therapist greets you in the relaxation waiting area and after making introductions they let you know that they are taking you through a quiet area and will wait until they get to the room to discuss your treatment. That is such a nice touch! Not only does it keep things quiet for the patrons, but it's a nice of them to be so communicative. I did have one small issue in the spa that's worth remembering if you go...I'm a size 10 and the spa robe that was a medium was a little too small. They were able to give me a large when I walked back to the entry of the locker room.
The main pool area looks smaller than you'd expect, but after spending some time there I realize it's kind of an optical illusion. And I actually think it's a good thing. They've made it feel very exclusive and somewhat cozy with large awnings, over-sized lounge chairs and very spacious cabanas. There is also full bar service, light menu and table seating. The staff at the pool bar is on top of it, keeping things picked up and checking in with new arrivals.

So that's all great, but is it a nice place to SLEEP? Yes, the rooms are beautiful and the bathroom/closet combo is one of the best layouts I've seen. The hotel was fairly busy when I was there but I didn't notice any noise coming through the walls or from the hall.
Not to be forgotten is the housekeeping staff. Although I only had turn-down service, and hadn't really unpacked when they came through, they carefully gathered all of my charging cords and tied them with a bow. In the bathroom, they unfolded a washcloth and draped it on the sink. Very nice touches that show a mind for the customer experience.
So despite thinking there was nothing more to say...I see I've written quite a bit. Which is only appropriate for a resort that seems to be unending in it's ability to exceed expectations.

Room Tip: Garden and Valley Views provide quiet overlooks to small courtyard areas and other relaxing views.
1 Thank SMcCorison
Sonoma County, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

Large expansive grounds, three pools, spa, and attention to detail impeccable. Well appointed large rooms, amazing design of common areas and rooms, terrific staff. What's not to like here. Spa was only minor flaw, massage just OK but staff very attentive. Had dinner at their 5 star restaurant Addison - very French Laundry like. Had breakfast at their hotel dining room, great waiter Vladamir, but food just OK.

Would go back to this hotel in a heart beat.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the golf course
2 Thank kp14
New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

This is a beautiful hotel with grand charm. Every member of the staff was professional and hospitable. Nespresso machines in the room. The gym is amazing, one of the best hotel gyms I've ever used. Beautiful grounds, lovely bathroom. Loved staying here and would do so again.

2 Thank fabulassy
Ventura, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

Really Nice -LUXURY. The Grand Del Mar is now my favorite place in California to sneak off to for a respite from work.

The front staff and concierge made us feel like old friends returning, even though this was our first visit. The first room offered was VERY nice, but overlooked the "adult's pool" and my husband preferred a golf course/mountain/gardens view. "No problem" we were promptly switched.

The Deluxe King room was large and elegantly appointed with a sizeable bathroom/dressing area sporting a shower large enough for two persons and a Jacuzzi tub which also would accommodate a couple.

The setting for the hotel is high on a mini mountain with wonderful views in every direction. We played golf on the Grand's challenging course both days of our stay and found the Golf package offered a good value. The course was not crowded either Monday or Tuesday and both days our fore caddy was ready and waiting even though we moved up our tee time on Tuesday. The caddy is a requirement for your first play of the course and Chase our Tuesday caddy was a wiz at reading the greens.

Even if you don't play golf, the pools, tennis courts and spa looked wonderful and if the service at each is a fraction as received at the golf course then you'll have nothing to desire. The equestrian center is currently closed but we spied walking trails throughout the luxuriant grounds.

We only ate breakfasts and lunches at the golf course restaurant but the menu was satisfying, the food was delicious and the waitstaff very accommodating.

We felt like royalty during our entire stay and certainly see why the Grand Del Mar is rated so highly. We can't wait to return.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bellauno
beverly hills, ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

The Grand Del Mar is truly a 5-star hotel. I have traveled a ton and stayed at the top hotels, but always go back to this gem! Completely agree that it should be ranked as the best hotel in the United States.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank sherry28
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

My family and I stayed at the Grand Del Mar over Pres. Weekend. The accommodations were very nice, as was the staff. However, we had a horrendous room service dinner experience, and while the bill was taken care of, not one Hotel or F and B manager contacted us to apologize or encourage us to return. We travel frequently to the finest hotels and resorts in the world and found this a very unprofessional way to do business.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
11 Thank T W
TheGrandDelMar, Executive Director of Rooms at Fairmont Grand Del Mar, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Thank you for sharing your review. We value your feedback and would like to speak with you personally. Please respond to our direct message at your convenience.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you and your family back.

Nenad Praporski, Executive Director of Rooms