“Everything was Lovely!”

Ranked #2 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Everything was Lovely!”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I just returned from a 7 night stay at the Grand Del Mar and it was a tough place to leave. By far what impressed me the most was the courtesy, helpfulness and overall friendliness of the staff. Everyone went out of their way to make sure we had a nice stay. The overall property is very impressive and it is impeccably maintained. There was so much to do there. The pool was a nice place to swim and enjoy the sun. I enjoyed the late afternoon yoga classes. One day we were headed to the beach in Del Mar, and the doorman loaded their beach chairs and towels into the back of our car for us. Mornings we had breakfast on the outdoor patio. We tried all their restaurants and enjoyed the menu and food very much. They even make a tasty Sidecar in the bar!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Bzybee214

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
  • Korean first
Los Angeles
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Our son selected the hotel for a family vacation, as it is located between sites they wished to visit - Legoland, Torrey Pines State Park, the greater San Diego area. On first entering, the hotel, a spa and gold destination, did not appeared to be a suitable family venue with ornate furnishings, burled veneers, coffered ceilings, gilt, staged library with tschockes, marble columns, arches, balustrades, floors.... It just didn't appear "kid friendly" but it proved to be a comfortable base.

There was a cheerful and abundant staff. The food was ok. Our room was spacious and comfortable, though there were no comfortable chairs in which to read and the light from the bedside lamps was weak. The bathroom was spacious and the lighting was good. Maybe someone would enjoy the bathroom TV?

The property is very large, bursting with conference rooms and a feeling of corporate splendor. The hotel seemed to lack nothing but charm.
That said, we might just return with the kids, but it's not a place my husband and I would return for a charming and romantic get-away.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Shi Hu
Midwest
Reviewed 12 March 2014

My wife and I gave each other a long-weekend at the Grand Del Mar for Valentine's Day. Mind you, we are a bit jaded when it comes to resorts -- and are rarely pleasantly surprised by the facilities, service, food, and other amenities. The Grand Del Mar was quite the exception...for it is truly outstanding.

The resort, itself, looks as though it could reside in Tuscany. The buildings are only three stories in height, and fit perfectly into the surrounding canyon/preserve. From the moment you approach the entry gate, the service is impeccable. It is not effusive nor arrogant...it is friendly and helpful.

I would recommend that you consider a room with a balcony...the views are great, and it is wonderful to have coffee on the balcony in the morning. Be sure to order in-room dining...including the pastries for breakfast (the chocolate croissants, blueberry muffins, and danish are to die for).

The food throughout the resort is excellent. Lunch poolside is a great way to relax...and they'll pretty much accommodate your every need. We also dined at Addison's, which I would describe as the perfect haunt for foodies. We don't quite fit that category, but loved the experience nonetheless. Do be prepared for an expensive dinner (our four course dinner, with tips, was approximately $200 per person).

You will feel completely pampered at this resort. If you elect to leave and venture into Del Mar, La Jolla, or San Diego, do so knowing that the peace and calm you've been experienced will be replaced with snarling traffic, crowded and loud restaurants, and some of the other "joys" of southern California. Personally, I'd park myself at the resort, hike on its trails, sit by the pool, and be pampered.

We're not golfers, but there's a beautiful Tom Fazio designed course...and there are also picture perfect tennis facilities.

My wife said the spa was magnificent and, of course, I told her she glowed following her facial.

We're already planning next year's return!

Room Tip: 3rd floor balcony rooms are great...you may want to be away from the main pool, however.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank pd2think
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I
I would like to tell of the "little things" that mattered that make this a 5-star resort in my mind. There's no need to repeat what other reviewers have written about the ambience, the service and elegance of the resort. I agree with all of them. We arrived on a day when a much-needed rain was finishing up in San Diego. Being on a golf-package we were anxious to get on the links early to avoid an approaching shower. The manager "John" checked us in and (our room not ready yet) walked out to the valet with us to insure that we would be whisked away to the golf course. Oh, and he also called the pro shop to see if we could get out earlier than our assigned tee time. We could.
We were celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary. The highly-acclaimed French restaurant "Addison" knew this because I told them when I made the reservation. They must have communicated to the hotel because waiting for us upon check- in was an iced bottle of champagne and a tray of enormous chocolate-dipped strawberries.
Our forecaddie, Brad, who took care of us for three days of golf could not have been nicer. He was enthusiastic and dedicated. Not only could he read the greens but he was an expert on the beautiful landscaping that surrounded the golf course. It certainly added to the experience of our golf package.
The server who brought us room-service breakfast on our first morning ran to get us a hiking map and brought it up to our room when he knew that we were interested in some exercise.
Housekeeping noticed that we were enjoying one certain flavor of Nespresso coffee that is complimentary in the rooms. She replaced it with an entire sleev
of coffee capsules.
One final 5 star memory: having a glass of dessert wine in front of the fireplace in the beautifully appointed main drawing room in the downstairs lobby of the hotel on our last night.
The Grand Del Mar is truly deserving of the accolades it has received. We'll be back.

Room Tip: Although I read that being on the 3rd floor and having a golf-course view was preferable, we had a s...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mary M
nyc
Reviewed 4 March 2014

The Grand del Mar is one of the finest resorts in the world. It is grand, upscale and simply gorgeous. The service is impeccable and this beautiful resort which was build in 2007 is truly a worthwhile destination. The spa is excellent and so is the golf course. Each room is beautifully furnished and is rather over sized. My room had a terrace and faced the adult pool- such serenity. The resort restaurants are excellent. I love this resort and can't wait to go back

Green Features: i thought it was so nice that they asked us if we want our sheets changed daily
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank looshi
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I have had the good fortune to stay at a modest number of luxury resorts and hotels over the years and The Grand Del Mar is simply the best ever. My wife and I were there for a 4 day Valentine Weekend getaway. The property is gorgeous and immaculate. We had a King room overlooking the adult pool that was spacious, well appointed, huge bathroom, comfy bed and great, relaxing view. I am most impressed with the service. It is always attentive but not overbearing or intrusive, something that sometimes happens. For example, at the adult pool, an attendant would seem to appear immediately and quietly and provide help with towels and a glass of ice water. Additional food and beverage service was always available but never "in your way". Great golf course on the premises. Usual array of spa and food services. The in house restaurants are excellent although pricey. Located in north San Diego area, still easy to get to all San Diego attractions including very close access to Torrey Pines State Preserve, La Jolla, and other beach areas. Definitely will be back.

Room Tip: We loved the room overlooking the adult pool.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TroutFisher14
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 2 March 2014

It's hard to say much new about this resort. It certainly deserves all of the accolades it's received in recent weeks. Although my stay was only 24 hours and I was traveling alone, I made a point to spend time in several areas of the hotel.

First, the food and beverage outlets:
The lobby lounge in the evening was a relaxing place to people watch. It was a Saturday so there were a variety of people coming and going for events at the hotel or for a nice dinner with friends. Although they serve a limited menu, I was able to order from the Amaya restaurant menu without issue.
Amaya is a wonderful restaurant for any meal. The service is outstanding. Don't miss an opportunity to sit on the patio even if it's a bit cool outside. They have clear glass to block the breeze and heaters if needed.
There is a market/cafe that serves coffee, sandwiches and my personal favorite - a fresh-squeezed juice of the day. The staff are so friendly and quick to suggest a beverage or baked treat.
Before I left on Sunday, I took advantage of their afternoon tea service. It's a very nice 3 course high-tea in the lobby lounge and library. My server was the same young woman who had served me the night before in the lobby lounge and she remembered me and asked if I enjoyed the sparkling wine that I enjoyed the night before - but I opted to stick with the tea.
At all of the above, there was one thing that impressed me consistently -- the quality of the baked goods and pastry items. I know it's an odd thing to notice, but from the pretzel rolls at Amaya to the bread on the finger sandwiches, to the scones, to the cookies and pastries in the market - every item was pure perfection. The tea server asked the kitchen and confirmed that all items are baked on site but I would venture to say the are baked by one of the best pastry chefs/bakers I've come across.
I regret I didn't get to try Addison, but look forward to doing so next time.

As for the other amenities on property...
The Spa is a beautiful and serene environment. One thing about the service that really stood out is that the therapist greets you in the relaxation waiting area and after making introductions they let you know that they are taking you through a quiet area and will wait until they get to the room to discuss your treatment. That is such a nice touch! Not only does it keep things quiet for the patrons, but it's a nice of them to be so communicative. I did have one small issue in the spa that's worth remembering if you go...I'm a size 10 and the spa robe that was a medium was a little too small. They were able to give me a large when I walked back to the entry of the locker room.
The main pool area looks smaller than you'd expect, but after spending some time there I realize it's kind of an optical illusion. And I actually think it's a good thing. They've made it feel very exclusive and somewhat cozy with large awnings, over-sized lounge chairs and very spacious cabanas. There is also full bar service, light menu and table seating. The staff at the pool bar is on top of it, keeping things picked up and checking in with new arrivals.

So that's all great, but is it a nice place to SLEEP? Yes, the rooms are beautiful and the bathroom/closet combo is one of the best layouts I've seen. The hotel was fairly busy when I was there but I didn't notice any noise coming through the walls or from the hall.
Not to be forgotten is the housekeeping staff. Although I only had turn-down service, and hadn't really unpacked when they came through, they carefully gathered all of my charging cords and tied them with a bow. In the bathroom, they unfolded a washcloth and draped it on the sink. Very nice touches that show a mind for the customer experience.
So despite thinking there was nothing more to say...I see I've written quite a bit. Which is only appropriate for a resort that seems to be unending in it's ability to exceed expectations.

Room Tip: Garden and Valley Views provide quiet overlooks to small courtyard areas and other relaxing views.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business