“Flawless From Start To Finish”

Fairmont Grand Del Mar
Ranked #3 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I previously had not stayed at this property due its location in suburban San Diego. It is 20-30 min from downtown San Diego and about that to Mission Bay, as well. However, don't let the location fool you; this is an amazing hotel. Recently built, no detail went overlooked. The property is well manicured and expertly maintained. The pools were a perfect temperature and the pool chairs/lounges were comfortable and kept in great condition. I stayed in some sort of mini suite which appeared to be the size of two regular rooms. Honestly, I cannot think of a single things wrong with the room; everything from furnishings to sheets to large bathrooms could not have been better. Bell and valet service was prompt. Front desk staff was attentive. The fitness room rivaled what you would expect at a full service gym. The restaurant food was good for dinner and great at breakfast, although the service at dinner was painfully slow and not very good. The five star restaurant on property has a dress code (which I could not meet being that I was in SD for a getaway weekend and who plans to wear a coat/tie on the weekend in SD??). I would not hesitate to stay at this hotel again and have already recommended it to several others. Pricey, but in this instance you really do get what you pay for!

Room Tip: Rooms off of the adult pool area and near the spa and fitness room- as opposed to family pool- are q...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Latitudes_Dancer
Write a ReviewReviews (1,848)

Reviewed 17 June 2014

My family stayed at this property for spring break. We were greeted by friendly and charming front desk employees and immediately offered fresh, cold beverages. My children were treated very kindly and dug through the "treasure chest" offered to them by the front desk employees. When we arrived in our room, two giant chocolate chip "welcome" cookies decorated like cats were waiting for my kids. That was definitely a highlight of the trip and a delightful way to start it off at the Del Mar. We found the food to be delicious, the staff to be of the highest quality and the kids' Explorer Club to be the best we've seen so far. We will be returning again soon!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 700mumtraveler
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Very pleased with our one-night stay at the Grand Del Mar. The staff was friendly and helpful. The facilities are amazing (some of the decor is a little over the top but fun to take in). Pools are great. Resort is kid friendly. Obviously not a budget hotel, but fair value. No resort fee (congratulations to the management for this!), reasonably prized breakfast at Amaya ($60 for two). This resort compares favorably to many Ritz Carlton Resorts that we have visited in the past (somehow feels one notch up from Ritz Resorts). Location is isolated, but this is part of the appeal. Hope to visit again soon and play some golf, as well.

Room Tip: Got the impression that all rooms are good.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank TRIPMEISTER2013
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

This was our last stop on a weeklong California trip and the perfect way to wind down a tiring trip. Rooms, pools, restaurants and all public areas are beautiful. We loved that they offered different activities at the resort, such as kayaking, fitness classes, etc. The fitness center is also very nice. We would love to come back soon!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank travelbirds0809
Reviewed 8 June 2014

It's a little out there in terms of location. Premises are kept really nice. Staff was ok not great. The room I stayed in was average, but I was expecting more. On positive side, rooms are very clean.

• Stayed: September 2013
TheGrandDelMar, Executive Director of Rooms at Fairmont Grand Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Thank you for your review. While we are pleased to hear you found our grounds and room cleanliness exceptional, it is disappointing that every aspect of your stay wasn't as notable.

If you would like to discuss your experience further, I kindly invite you to respond to my direct message at your convenience.

Nenad Praporski, Executive Director of Rooms
The Grand Del Mar

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We spent three days at the Grand Del Mar and it is hands down, the best hotel we have ever stayed in. The Hotel and grounds are beautiful. We would leave out of the back of our room, which dumped into the gardens and just go for a walk around the grounds. My 9 year old daughter was in awe. The service on top of this, is what makes this place so special. It's spectacular yet down to earth, which to me make it's better than a Ritz from a service aspect. They never say "No", and genuinely seem to care about your enjoyment. It's as if everyone is invested in the property.

We have been to a lot of nice places, but I would say the Grand was heads and shoulders above the rest.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 June 2014

After a year, I was offered a free spa massage after my initial visit (see my original review).

The spa services were wonderful, I received a glass of champagne with lovely chocolates to accompany.

This spa is lovely. I had a wonderful return. I will be back.

Thank you for extending this offer to me.

Room Tip: Spa visit only
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family