“Most amazing hotel I've ever visited!”

Fairmont Grand Del Mar
Ranked #2 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 11 August 2014

From the moment you pass the guard gate, it feels as though you are entering another world. The grounds are impeccable, the hotel is gorgeous, and the staff are beyond wonderful. The fresh flower displays in the lobby look brand new every day and are beautiful. We were shown to our room by Sam, one of the bellmen. He was so courteous and genuinely interested in our itinerary. He asked if we would be partaking in the Porsche driving experience and suggested routes to drive to take in the best scenery. When we arrived back at the room about an hour later after walking the mile trail around the property (at his suggestion and would definitely recommend to get a good layout of the property), Sam had left a handwritten note with several maps and directions on areas we might like to test drive the Porsche. He later that night had left hiking trails as I had mentioned I would be hiking the next morning. He checked on us throughout our stay and always seemed one step ahead of us with maps, suggestions, etc. He definitely made our stay superior and was the most thoughtful hotel employee I had ever come across. This type of service is what makes the Grand Del Mar the #1 hotel in the US. Our room was immaculate each day and personal touches like turn down service and never once seeing housekeeping staff in the halls makes this hotel so special. The management staff at the Grand Del Mar should train every hotel staff in the country on what true hospitality and superior staff looks like. I cannot say enough about this wonderful hotel!!!!

Room Tip: We traveled without children and our room was on the 3rd floor facing the adults only pool. Beautifu...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Lisa M

Reviewed 8 August 2014

When you combine an amazing property with outstanding service and a delightful climate, the results are fantastic. The Grand Del Mar deserves it's reputation as one of the best resorts in the world.

Guest rooms are very spacious, well appointed and make it tempting to never go outdoors. From the oversized, luxurious bathroom to the extremely comfortable bed, these rooms are amazing.

The grounds are very well maintained and the list of activities can keep you quite busy. For those seeking rest and relaxation, you are in store for a treat as the hotel offers several swimming pools and other areas to unwind in a beautiful environment.

The fitness center is very well equipped and the spa exceeded my high expectations. Service provided to guests is first class from the moment you arrive until your departure.

Overall, the Grand Del Mar stands out as a superstar among 5-star resorts.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank EasyTraveler2000
Reviewed 8 August 2014

The hotel grounds were phenomenal. From the moment you enter the drive way into a private road it makes you feel like you are in a private villa in Italy. I loved the details in the design and architecture. I was there only one night and I wished I would have stayed longer to explore the property. So many amenities offered! My favorite detail was the french press in the bedroom! The bathroom was amazing, it was so spacious it could be another bedroom.
I was concerned about taking my one year old to a hotel like this but It was very family friendly. While we were checking in the wonderful front desk offered my daughter to pick a toy from the toy chest they had there, how thoughtful of them! Will come back with out a doubt, even though I did not receive my morning newspaper but I was able to get a copy during breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Delia L
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We came for 2 days for my husband's birthday and every person we encountered couldn't have been nicer. The property is beautiful with all materials imported from Europe. No detail has been left out. The rooms are beautiful, comfortable, and have espresso machines in them. The furnishings make you feel like you are in a very wealthy home. The public areas are stunning and comfortable, and the golf course, hiking trail, and grounds are convenient and accessible. They offer many activities at the fitness center. We also enjoyed the massage and hair salon. A very nice getaway.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I would say this is the nicest resort hotel in the U.S. and would recommend it for a romantic getaway or for a family vacation. There's no watersides but they have kids camps and it's still very kid friendly. The golf course is an excellent resort style course and there's please of trials to hike or horseback riding (they have stables). In addition, there's tennis, swimming pools, spa, croquet and lots of lawn space for kids to run around. It's close to Del Mar racetrack but it's about 5 miles to the beach. The restaurants in the hotel are great but pricey. They will shuttle you around the Del Mar area but it's first-come-first-serve so book the shuttle early with concierge. The service and staff are amazing and will treat you like royalty. Just remember…your stay won't be cheap but it will be amazing!

Room Tip: If you want quiet/romantic, don't have a room in the courtyards.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank SRSteve
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed for two nights for my birthday and were upgraded to a king room on the top floor overlooking a beautiful fountain and gardens. The cost is a bit over $600 a night.
The pools are beautiful and the patio dining was really great, especially for breakfast. The setting is tranquil - peaceful - expansive. The staff is extremely accommodating, gracious and very customer oriented. The only issue we had was with one concierge when late afternoon I asked where the Addison restaurant was located. She responded, then looked at my husband and said in a somewhat condescending tone - you can't wear shorts to Addison. I later returned to explain how rude I thought her response had been.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jnjtraveler
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Excellent place ...the rooms are great ..very serene and calm place . Excellent service and great landscape .

Perfect get away place for a quit vacation. Great views . Really liked the pool area . Amidst an excellent golf course

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family