“Awesome...Great Service...Amazing Experience”

Fairmont Grand Del Mar
Ranked #2 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 12 February 2010

I can honestly say, without reservation, that my rating of this hotel is neither exaggerated nor underrated. This was the best hotel I have ever stay in. The place was spotless, from the drive up the long road, to the valet, to the front desk and lobby, to the hallway and finally our room. Our three night stay was for our honeymoon and a gift from a family member who has time share in one of the Villas at the Grand Del Mar. It was just awesome. We had room service two or three times and the food was great, though pricey, worth it to splurge for our honeymoon. The staff was very welcoming and made everything perfect.

I highly recommend The Grand Del Mar.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,806)

Reviewed 20 January 2010

Words cannot describe how wonderful this resort is...me and my husband stayed a night for the bed n' breakfast package and we were so enchanted by everything. It reminds me of Bellagio in las vegas but with no noisy casino and crowds. The resort is beautiful, well maintained, quiet, comfortable and the staff treats you like royalty.

Rooms - Beautiful gold gilded large rooms with very comfortable bed, lovely deep soaking tub!! Large HD TV and great amenities.

Food - I had dinner at "Amaya" in the hotel and I have to say it was probably the best food I have ever eaten in my life. I recommend the Chef's Course for Dinner. It's $40, which is actually affordable and very delicious. My favorite was the Concord grape ice cream with the chocolate and peanut butter waffer for dessert. Didn't get to try the 5 diamond "Addison" restaurant but i'm sure it's excellent as well.

Staff - I was wow'ed by the service at this resort. Concierge emailed me a few days ahead asking if they can assist me with planning activities or making reservations. I was very impressed. Front desk staff were super polite and accommodating!

Overall - Even though the price tag is a bit heftier than most resorts, but I think it's worth every penny. There aren't many places like this and it is truly a hidden gem in San Diego. I wish I had my honeymoon / wedding there!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 January 2010

My wife and I received a free night from Hotels.com after staying 10 nights elsewhere over the past year. We chose the fanciest five-star hotel in San Diego, the Grand Del Mar. We stayed between Christmas and New Years, expecting a crowd, but the hotel felt rather empty. Nonetheless, the staff were extremely friendly and accommodating. The hotel itself is part of a resort that includes a world-class golf course, four swimming pools, a spa, at least two restaurants and a comfortable lounge.

Our room was by far the most plush, luxurious entry-level room we've ever experienced. The bed was heavenly, with down pillows and turn-down service. The flat-screen HDTV was huge. Our bathroom featured marble counter tops, a sunken tub, separate large shower and even a television. We loved the Grand Del Mar!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank ianbob
Reviewed 4 January 2010

We had an incredible experience at the Grand Del Mar!!! It is a relaxing, romantic, secluded luxury hotel that was above and beyond our expectations!!!

*The Valet and bell service were top notch. Very helpful and hard working.
*Our room was amazing. Very spacious, beautifully appointed, soft down comforter, soft carpeting.
*The bathroom was very impressive!! The size alone was outstanding! There is a huge, deep bathtub with great water pressure and lots of hot water. Two sinks and lots of counterspace. Many drawers to put away your bathroom stuff. I loved the bath gel from the spa. Smells great. A large closet/sitting area. A large seperate toilet area. Towels were upscale also.
*Fitness center was one of the best I've ever been to at a hotel. Large space---not cramped at all----and very beautiful room too! No charge to use. I think there was every piece of fitness equipment you could ever need for a good workout there. Lots of treadmills and ellipticals with their own individual tv's. Very nice! Never crowded. They put free bottled water on every machine too.
Spa is beautiful. Did not receive any services but wanted to!
There is a Cafe that serves coffee, mocha's, has pastries, cookies, bagel, sells cokes, water, and has very yummy gelato. We used the cafe every day and loved it! The people that work there are SO nice too.
The pool area is beautiful and we would have laid out and used the pool had the weather been warmer.
We had room service twice during our stay, and it was outstanding. They told us it would be there in 30 minutes, and it was there 30 minutes on the dot! Very fresh and hot!
*The attention to detail in this resort is amazing!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 December 2009

We stayed at the Grand Del Mar for 3 nites just before Christmas. The hotel was beautifully decorated. Valet and check-in went smoothly. There was hot cider in the lobby. The lay out of the hotel was a little confusing but there were maps on the walls to help. We had a wonderful dinner the nite we arrived. The chefs tasting menu was excellent. There was also a childrens menu that was not only priced well but had food choices our sons enjoyed. The kids menu was also served for room service and at the pool. There were several parties during our stay but the hotel was never crowded. Room service was fast and delicious. The pools were heated and also had excellent service. The lounge chairs were comfy. Two tennis courts were spotless and stocked with towels and water. Concierge gave printed directions and great suggestions. We forgot to pack swim trunks. They called to find a nearby shop that had what we needed. We also visited the Wild Animal Park. It was an easy 30 minute drive and very enjoyable. Our room was huge, clean, comfortable and quiet. We had a view over the manicured gardens with the golf course in the distance. We kept our door open at nite to a perfect breeze. Housekeeping was prompt and thorough. We were given bottled water and various treats in the evening at turndown service. Plenty of soaps, bath salts, and towels were also stocked and of high quality. There were gifts for the children in the room, along with slippers in their sizes. The deep bath tub and shower had great water pressure. Bedding was also perfect. Our room was set up with a coffee maker and DVD player. The gift shop was well stocked. I wish I had a chance to try the spa. There was a huge kids club we also did not use. We will return.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 December 2009

We were there for our 15 wedding anniversary and couldn't have had better experience. The rooms were huge and beautifully decorated. We stay at the Four Seasons resorts mostly and these rooms were just as luxurious, if not more so. They upgraded our room for free since it was a weekday and they were not crowded.

We ate at the Addison Restaurant that was extremely pricey but it's not the kind of restaurant you would eat at every day and certainly worthy of a special occasion. The service and the Chef's Choice menu were excellent.

They sent complimentary Champagne and chocolate to our room and Housekeeping was quick to respond to every request.
I am concerned that this hotel doesn't get as much publicity as it should and, therefore is not as busy as it needs to be to stay profitable. We are hoping to return for another visit this summer to try out the pool and other facilities.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 December 2009

My husband and I had our wedding at the fabulous Grand Del Mar on April 18th 2009 and what a great time we had. Everything was absolutely amazing. Not one complaint. Our friends/family couldn't stop ranting and raving about how beautiful everything was. The staff is phenomenal. Every five star hotel should offer this kind of service.

Mr. and Mrs. Washington