“truly 5 Star”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Hermanus, South Africa
“truly 5 Star”
Reviewed 9 March 2010

this is one of the very best hotels I ever stayed at. I consider myself as a very demanding client, I have no problem paying a bit more but then again, I expect the best. And this hotel is truly 5 star.

Everybody seems to make sure you enjoy your stay, they know you by name. The rooms are fantastic, the food at the restaurant is outstanding. Service is spectacular and I am really sorry I only had three nights at this wonderful place.

If you feel you deserve the best, this is the place to be.
Truly, truly recommendation!!!!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (437)
  • Korean first
Los Angeles
Reviewed 7 March 2010

This is probably one of the fanciest hotels we've been to in a long time. Most places opt for the more modern look now, but this is just the opposite. It reminds me of a by-gone era, and service was impeccable. The decor is a little heavy with the gilded look, but hey, I'm not complaining.
Like others mentioned, there were very few people while we were there. Not sure if it's due to the price or location. It is a wee bit far from civilization - definitely cannot walk anywhere. For folks with small children, I think they may be bored since we didn't see anything obvious for small kids other than the pool, a very immaculate pool.
We ate at the outdoors patio, and the food was quite good, and not as expensive as I had thought. Service was prompt, but again, we were one of only 2 parties there.
The resort is huge, so we did not see it all. Next time, I'll make a point to visit the spa. It looks scrumptous. It would be a really good place for a girls get away.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
yardley pa
Reviewed 4 March 2010

We recently spent a week at the Grand Del Mar. I have stayed at some of the top hotels of the world and the the Grand Del Mar ranks with any of them. The rooms are all magnificent. The grounds are beautiful and extensive enough to take an hour jog and never leave the hotel paths.

Most impressive is the concierge service. The desk is staffed from early morning to late at night with a group of the most knowledgable, smiling and attentive people I have met in any of my travels. There seemed to be nothing they couldn't or wouldn't do. When they overheard my daughter mention to me that her kids missed having a dvd player for the TV for naps, one happened to appear in her room. I cannot compliment them enough. And they were right about every restaurant and attraction they sent us to.

The staff throughout the hotel was equally attentive and pleasant. The restaurants were wonderful, without being "snobbish".

This is simply what every hotel strives for.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
nj
Reviewed 2 March 2010

I traveled to the Grand Del Mar for business and for pleasure with my six year old son. We stayed for five nights leading into Thanksgiving 2009. Most importantly to me, the staff here treated my son like he was a special guest. They could not have been more accomodating, kind or kid friendly. This includes the golf staff who were wonderful. My son continues to rave about his trip and is the best promoter of this resort walking in New Jersey!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
New Jersey
Reviewed 23 February 2010

This place is the most amazing place I have been. Travelling a lot, being to many hotels, this hotel is the best of the best I have ever been.
The grounds are beautiful, the hotel is well built and beautifully decorated. I don't see any flaw in this hotel. Everything was perfect, even the prices of drinks and food was reasonable. There is this great cafe where you can have your morning coffee with a nice pastry or sandwich for a very reasonable prices.
The staff is very nice and professional.
The hotel is priced really cheap for what you get. I will definitely return! and I recommend this hotel to everyone that wants a good value.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank EstherD
Los Angeles
Reviewed 17 February 2010

Located less than 2 miles off the I-5, The Grand Del Mar is a hidden gem. While my husband and I only stayed for 1 night, we felt tremendously relaxed. The standard room was spacious with a balcony, king sized bed, large bathroom, separate bath and shower. Our room overlooked the pool and jacuzzi, yet it was very quiet. We took advantage of the warm and sunny weather and took a walk around the resort. Apparently there are many hiking trails to go on. We ate lunch at the Clubhouse Grill (tortilla soup, fish tacos & ahi tuna salad) and the food and service was excellent. The resort/hotel is so spacious with the sights of the beautiful hills and lush greens, that you forget that you are in a major city. This is one of the best resorts/hotels that I have ever been and overall, their service is top knotch!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LatinAsianMix
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 12 February 2010

I can honestly say, without reservation, that my rating of this hotel is neither exaggerated nor underrated. This was the best hotel I have ever stay in. The place was spotless, from the drive up the long road, to the valet, to the front desk and lobby, to the hallway and finally our room. Our three night stay was for our honeymoon and a gift from a family member who has time share in one of the Villas at the Grand Del Mar. It was just awesome. We had room service two or three times and the food was great, though pricey, worth it to splurge for our honeymoon. The staff was very welcoming and made everything perfect.

I highly recommend The Grand Del Mar.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple