Fairmont Grand Del Mar
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
1,879 results
All reviewsamaya restaurantadult poolrelaxation poolchocolate covered oreosprado suitefour seasonsfamily poolamazing propertytennis courtspool servicerooms are beautifulturn down servicestar resortsouthern californiafitness centerthe san diego areaminute drive
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 May 2010

We have travelled around the States quite a bit and have stayed at some very good hotels but I have to say that the Grand del Mar is the best so far. It is not cheap but then again you expect to pay for quality and this hotel has that in abundance.
The staff, without exception are polite, attentive and very professional and you feel that nothing is too much trouble. The room was exceptional, we were on the ground floor and had a siiting area outside by the Reflection Pool which was great as the sun was there all morning.
We ate at the Amaya, the Lounge Bar and the Clubhouse Grill. The food was of a high quality and reasonably priced. We also took the courtesy limo to eat at a Chinese restaurant in Del Mar. The Concierge arranged everything and even sent us confirmation.
I only have two negative comments. On the first night we ate in the Lounge Bar and placed our order with the waiter, after half an hour our food hadn't turned up and we raised it with the waitress. It turned out that the waiter had forgotten to place the order with the kitchen. This was quickly rectified and we weren't charged for the food. My second issue was that at check-out we were charged for some mini-bar items that we did not have, again this was quickly rectified.
Overall this place was amazing and I would recommend it anybody.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 May 2010

I stayed at the Grand Del Mar a few months after it opened (July, 2008) and cannot wait to return.

Only a 15 minute drive to La Jolla, the Del Mar surprised us in every way. Stunning layout, highest quality finishes, terrific staff, lovely adult pool (quite!) and the best sleep ever. Everything about this resort is luxury, yet is maintains a certain casual flavor. I would rank this well above any Ritz Carlton in terms of high-quality rooms and superior amenities. I was surprised by the spaciousness and serenity of our room - and we didn't even stay in a superior suite!

The gym is terrific. The staff excellent. Rooms are beautiful! I can't wait to return this summer!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 April 2010

I have stayed here three times. I feel that it is the best hotel in the San Diego area. I have also stayed in St Regis Monarch Beach, Laguna Niguel, Four Season Aviara, Hotel Del, Rancho Valencia, The Westgate, and Hotel Parisi. The service at the Grand Del Mar seems to set it apart from these other fine resorts. There is a free shuttle the runs in a 10-12 mile radius including the beach in Del Mar. The grounds are beautiful. Kudos to the staff.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 April 2010

Was looking for a southern Cali getaway weekend to celebrate a birthday. Our travel agent found us a fantastic package at this hotel which is only 20 minutes from our home in the SD area but it seems like a world away. The hotel is several miles inland from the ocean, north of the city of San Diego. Freeway access is excellent- a mile or two east of I-5. Our package included golf for two, overnight accommodation, breakfast credit, and a certificate to use at the spa. It was an amazing value and I will look for it again.

The hotel lobby, library, bar,etc are strikingly handsome and comfortable. The staff could not be any more friendly (in a sincere manner) and helpful. The hotel grounds are immaculate. The room was probably the nicest one I have stayed in. Everything from the room size, furnishings, bed/ bedding, huge tub, marble floor in bathroom, TV's, balcony, and room safe large enough for a laptop were first rate. Seriously, this was nice. Our room had a comfortable patio overlooking (from third floor) the adult pool.

The front desk staff asked which newspapers (you get two) we would like in the AM. They sent a nice note and a dessert in honor of the birthday celebration. All the staff members were really gracious and helpful. We had breakfast on the patio of the Amaya restaraunt. We have previously dined at their 5 diamond (pricey but totally worth it) Addison restaurant but did not go there this trip- it is fantastic however. There is also a grill room at the golf course and a coffee bistro that serves light breakfast and lunch in the main part of the hotel.

The adult area pool has a large hot tub with these comfortable outdoor mattress lounges to rest on next to the water. The cocktail waitress was attentive and friendly. There is a separately located family pool (three pools including two pools for kids of various sizes/ages). This has its own bar.etc,

The golf course actually functions as a private club with access for hotel guests. It is a Tom Fazio design and is a terrific course. We had to take a caddy (part of the package, excluding gratuity). The idea of the caddy was great although ours did not come across as too friendly or interested (perhaps the only negative of the stay) but others may be friendlier. The golf was really great though. Back at the hotel there was complimentary fresh raspberry lemonade and cookies in the lobby to refresh/snack after golf.

The Grand Del Mar exceeded all my expectations. Honestly, I cannot remember staying anywhere that I found more pleasant. I don't usually gush during my reviews....
ok, I'm gushing in this one.

Even though this property is so close to home, we will definitely go back for another stay at home vacation.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anrmd
Reviewed 11 April 2010

One of the best stays I've add, either on business or personal travel. We went with our family (4 total, two kids aged 8 and 11). The kids were indifferent, but my wife and I loved it. Couple of examples about the details - the elevators are programmed to go to and stay open on floors 1 and 3 so there is no wait, the hallway doors have an extra trim piece that sound proofs the room, the coffee has chicory added to it, the common area bathroom stalls have floor to ceiling doors, etc. That's just the simple stuff, this place has been so well thought out and planned that the list of details would be endless. I'd compare it to the Phoenix Biltmore in terms of quality (the interior at Grand Del Mar is better, the landscaping at the Biltmore is more striking because of the desert surroundings). If you like attention to detail and *****, you'll love The Grand Del Mar.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family