“Get Away From The Heat”

Bay Club Hotel & Marina
Ranked #47 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 27 August 2011

Front desk was friendly Had fish and chips the first night it was disgusting and was not wreath the money???? Never went back to eat dinner in the restaurant for the rest of our stay... Breakfast was a good deal it was in the price of our room:) I think at breakfast time they need a little more HELP..... Landry room...... Be "prepared" to wait up to at leased 3 hours to wash and dry your cloths as the manager of the marina likes to wash and dry her towels while working her 8 hour's I don't understand why she had to use the washer and dryer while there was guests waiting I thought that was very inconsiderate not cool :(

1  Thank 77Margaret
Write a ReviewReviews (1,422)

Reviewed 20 August 2011

We just recently stayed at Bay Club Hotel and Marina for 3 nights. It was a great pick for us. It's on Shelter Island, which is about 5 minutes from downtown San Diego, but not the city. We had a 2nd floor marina view room. I booked it online a couple of weeks prior to our stay and we got a great rate of $169.00 a night. The setting was lovely - our balcony offered a peaceful view of the marina. Breakfast is included. There are about 4 warm breakfast offerings each day along with fresh fruit, coffee, juice cereal and toast. They give you a receipt at breakfast to sign and fill in a tip amount if you choose to do so. We didn't sign it 2 out of the 3 mornings we were there. The room was really large and the bed super comfortable. We had an issue with our shower that was completely resolved within 20+ minutes time from when we telephoned the front desk. I recommend parking in the below ground parking because the spaces up top are too narrow. Parking was an additional $5.00 per day. The hotel is located 5 minutes from the airport but you don't hear the noise. There is a fitness center that seemed to be a secret and there was a computer and printer in the lobby where you can print your airplane boarding passes. A real nice restaurant at the end of Shelter Island is Bali Hai. The view of San Diego fantastic and it's a beautiful setting with great food. Also, we went to see the Mets play the Padres at Petco Stadium. You can get really premium seats for really cheap (according to New York standards) or pay as little as $10 to sit and watch the game. It's a great stadium. All of this is 5-10 minutes from this wonderful hotel. We certainly will return on our next trip.

3  Thank beachbumLongIsland
ajwillard, Guest Relations Manager at Bay Club Hotel & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2011

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave feedback about your stay with us! We wanted to take a moment to clarify that the checks that are brought to the table for breakfast each morning are purely for accounting purposes to ensure that only guests receive the breakfast complimentary. Consequently, we do ask that each guest sign the slip and provide their room number. Leaving a gratuity, as always, is at the guest's discretion. We look forward to welcoming you again soon!

Reviewed 18 August 2011

I just returned from my annual (8 years or more) trip to Shelter Island, San Diego. I just go to sit. I love the scene at the Bay Club. Marina on one side, San Diego Harbor on the other. On the harbor side, there is a boat ramp which is always full of activity and, depending on the chum thrown back in the water, you may sight some seals and, for sure, a host of pelicans. I eat at the Bay Club restaurant. All three meals. Breakfast is great and complimentary. A full deal. Hot and cold. On one morning this week, they had oatmeal. My god, I haven't had oatmeal in years. Two bowls. The lunch and dinner menu is great. There has always been good cooking here. The rooms are very well soundproofed and even with a concert venue next door, Humphreys, there is relative peace. Just shut the doors and pull the drapes. The staff is friendly and amenable to early make up of the room so I can go in and out all day and have my nap when I want to. In short, this is one of the best "retreats" that I have found. I see families, oldsters, everyone here. Very nice.

Room Tip: go on the marina side. The harbor side is iffy for scenery. Some good views, some not.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank esrose1
Reviewed 16 August 2011

This was our first visit to Shelter Island. We really enjoyed our stay at the Bay Club and Marina. The relaxation of the area is wonderful!! This hotel is located about 15 mins from the airport in a safe and beautiful area. The Bay Club is a small hotel only 2 floors, but it is HUGE on service. We can not say enough how AWESOME the staff is. Jody, you rock!!! the front desk, the breakfast wait staff all AMAZING!! housekeeping always aiming to please. The Bay Club management is very blessed to have this Amazing dedicated staff. We thank all of you for a very enjoyable stay .We hope to visit again.

2  Thank nilla
Reviewed 14 August 2011

The hotel is situated out of the downtown but central to highway access (without the noise and yucky views of actually staying right off a highway). We were able to get downtown in minutes and it was a quick drive to places like Sunset Cliffs, Mission Beach, La Jolla and Torrey Pines. The breakfast in the mornings is wonderful. A small tip to the (very nice) servers is well worth the meal to get you going for the day. The hotel is older, but is well maintained. We enjoyed the pool and hot-tub. The views of the marina are gorgeous!! We had a great sleep and would recommend it to anyone looking to stay in a CLEAN but not extravagant hotel. It is certainly a huge step up from the small ones located around hotel circle. We will be back for sure!!

Room Tip: second floor rooms are quieter and have better views
1  Thank Heather C
Reviewed 13 August 2011

I was a bit worried with the pictures I saw on the website that this hotel was going to look dated and seem a bit hokey with the thick bamboo-looking furniture - WRONG! In person, I thought everything looked just fine. I walked into our room and was struck by the large quarters and beautiful view of the bay (even from our 1st floor room!) I felt like I finally was on vacation. The pool was big enough for our kids and actually felt heated! Breakfast was okay. Many selections, but I was expecting a bit better from the raves. ( I was expecting a lot more from many things in San Diego due to Trip Advisor raves, and found myself a LITTLE disappointed on quite a few things.) I was a bit irritated that the breakfast personnel bring you your drinks, but then leave a paper and pen for you to leave a tip. Sorry, but I didn't tip. If a breakfast is listed as COMPLIMENTARY, then don't pull this move and expect extra $! But, back to business . . . There is a small beach with bonfire rings right across the street from the hotel. I saw several large Navy ships pass by. COOL!!! We also walked three hotels down and the kids played at the bayside playground. The only negatives were: the water coming from the sink was a bit yucky when brushing our teeth and the A/C did not run continuously during the night and would wake us up when starting up (at least the first night of our 3 night stay.) There was a concert at Humphries our last night, but the music was turned down and could hear it a little from the pool area, but not disturbing at all! I would definitely stay again!

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
ajwillard, Guest Relations Manager at Bay Club Hotel & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2011

Thank you for taking time to leave a review about your recent stay with us. It is through such feedback from our guests that we are best able to maintain the highest levels of guest satisfaction. In fact, in an effort to clarify the purpose of the breakfast checks we have begun explaining at check-in that the slips are provided solely so that we may have an accurate accounting of complimentary breakfasts consumed and to ensure that any non-guests are being charged appropriately. Thanks again for your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in San Diego!

Reviewed 9 August 2011

This was a splurge for us on a SoCal trip, and we loved it.
The location was amazing, the room was very large, well decorated, and all the comforts one would hope for.

I would highly recommend!

Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple