“Good mid-range hotel”

Bay Club Hotel & Marina
Ranked #50 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 24 June 2010

Stayed 5 nights at the Bay Club and enjoyed my stay.
The location is reasonably good - right on the water which is nice to look out at and for walks but it is not that close to any beaches and is quite a distance from any nicer restaurants. Having said that the freeways are close but it is several minutes drive at least to either a beach or nicer restaurant.
The staff were friendly and helpful throughout my stay.
The rooms are large, typical of american hotels such as these with lots of empty space. The decor is fine, a little dated but in good condition and very clean. The "patio" seating area outside the room is very small and close to the next room. It rather looked out on to the parking lot, although the first floor rooms looked like they had more room, privacy and a better view.
The pool area is pleasant, although surprisingly items from the bar do not seem to be able to be brought to the pool.
I did not eat at the hotel and so can't comment on the food.
Overall I think the Bay Club Hotel is pleasant although not particularly spectacular.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
4  Thank hc1401
There are newer reviews for Bay Club Hotel & Marina

Reviewed 23 June 2010

I chose this hotel after reading the favorable reviews on Trip Advisor. My 2 night stay at this hotel was 100% consistant with those favorable Trip Advisor reviews. The room we had included a balcony overlooking the marina (nice view) and the hotel staff were exceptionally friendly/helpful. The price included a tasty breakfast and I thought it was a good bargain compared to other hotels that I saw when searching for a hotel. My advice is to skip the local restaurants up the street...the ones we tried were not that good. Other than the local restaurants, I liked everything about my stay including the location...which was an easy drive to San Diego Zoo, Coronado Beach, Belmont Park and other popular attractions.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank mikeyboy_esq
Reviewed 16 June 2010

We stayed at the Bay Club and it was very nice. My husband and I decided short notice we wanted to go for a romantic getaway. It was perfect we saw a deal on their website for a night and dinner for 2 it was great. We were kind of on a budget and we stayed recieved free steak and shrimp dinner plus breakfast buffet in the morning it is right across from the water so we walked on the shore the whole evening what more could you ask for? I would recommend this to anyone!!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2010

Our stay was great. The hotel has more of a laid back feel. We had a marina view room with balcony. The view was beautiful and so peaceful. They had plenty of parking (underground parking as well that we did not find out about until mid stay which made things much more convenient for us!) Parking was $5 at night but still not bad. The hotel was close to many attractions and in a great area. They have many surrounding restaurants that were very good though I did not really prefer the dinner selection at the hotel restaurant and I was disappointed that they do not have microwaves in the rooms as there are mini fridges. They provided breakfast and had a great assortment. Breads, fruits, eggs, hashbrowns, etc. They provided free wifi. Kids loved the pool and hot tub. Thought there was much noise outside at times due to concerts and such we could not hear a sound when our balcony door was closed. All of the employees were very friendly and helpful. All in all...great stay.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 June 2010

We stayed at the Bay Club for 6 nights for a near by family wedding. The Bay Club in on Shelter Island in San Diego, directly opposite the Naval Air station North Island (about 1 km away over the water). The Hotel fronts the harbour, and backs onto a huge marina filed with what is literally a forest of yacht masts. Logically, the views from the back are not stunning. From the front ( if you are a military plane buff as I am, or enjoy occasional military traffic) it can be quite fascinating. The good news is that the Military are GOOD neighbours, and the F18s usually don't start flying much before 9am. ( For this Australian, seeing 20 + parked F18s, a similar number of Sea Hawk helicopters - in both cases representing a large percentage of our whole air force- and the VERY regular naval patrols in the harbour was a real eye opener).
The Bay Club is 2 storied, it has a good pool, and the restaurant & bar are quite adequate. The included breakfast was OK, lots of it, but a narrow selection, and the food was often only warm. Lunch off the menu was better, certainly well priced, tasty and with good service. We found a room service dinner the same.
The rooms were of good size, fairly quiet, and the bed comfortable. Both the TV channel selection and the free WiFi were good. Personally, I hated the pillows (I have a long term dodgy neck, and it didn't respond well to the supplied unsupportive and lumpy pillows). The room was always hot and stuffy (unless you opened the verandah door which let the flies in), and the air conditioning proved a bit aggressive when we used it to combat the heat, making sleep a bit harder than it could have been. The room itself was a little tired, and the terylene curtaining by the verandah door was shredded in a couple of places.
So, while not perfect, well priced, great location, and somewhere I would be happy to stay again - but I'll bring my own pillow.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank scubal0ver
Reviewed 10 June 2010

The Bay Club was a decent hotel, great price, great location. The breakfeast was a disappointment we stayed at two lesser hotels on the trip with a much better breakfeast. The pool was just OK. With this said the staff was wonderful more than helpful, the area was great. Great restuarants, the view of the bay was awsome to wake up to. The fact that Humpreys is right next door with great entertainment is a plus. I would recommend this hotel but I would try a different place next time.

Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TravelingMom20
Reviewed 1 June 2010

We were quite impressed with the Bay Club & Marina Hotel. It is an older hotel but quite well maintained. Our room on ground floor was very roomy with a small balcony. Room was cleaned to a good standard.
Pool & spa area overlooking the Marina was great. We also got to listen to an outdoor concert by Roger Daltrey being played at the venue next door which was a bonus!
The breakfast was quite adequate with both hot/cold selections (we only had the cold). We also used the small gym which had weights machine, treadmills etc. We also made use of the laundry with coin operated machines.
The area around the hotel is great for a nice walk along the waterfront.
The possible only gripe I would have is that the hotel do charge US5 for 30mins to use their internet terminal. I think they have free wifi but I didnt want to lug my laptop around for 5 weeks. They also charge for parking - US5 which was reasonable.
On our next visit to San Diego we would definately stay there again.

We had a great Thai meal at Royal Thai Restaurant in the GasLamp area. The prices were extremely reasonable & the food was great (cant remember the street name but it was one of the main streets on a corner).

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple