“spoilt our relaxing time there”

Bay Club Hotel & Marina
Ranked #51 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
melbourne
“spoilt our relaxing time there”
Reviewed 7 July 2010

Stayed at bay club for 5 days and had a terrible experience with the security at the hotel. There was a party in the next room and the music was very loud. When I called reception to complain they sent the security man to break the party up. This was at 11pm. Twenty minutes later the music started again and when I called reception they told me that everyone had vacated the room. I told them that they had to come up again as there sounded as if there were 40 people in the room. He did come up and there were that many people in the room. They also tried to come through the conecting door into our room which made us very frightened. When I opened my door to tell the security man that they tried to get through to us he yelled at me to get back into my room or I would be in trouble. I think he was embarressed that he had not dealt with the problem. Half an hour later it all stared again as they were sneaking in from other entrances and they still had the key. That was the last straw, I called reception and asked for the police to be called which they did and when they arrived to get the remainder out they asked why they had not been called before. It took till 3am to fix the problem. The reason I am writting this long review is that they have to fix their security as 40 people could gain access to a hotel room without the front desk aware of what was going on. I have to say that Timothy Brogan front desk manager was very good as he moved us to another room and gave us a dinner on the house and deducted the fee for that night. He said the general manager would be in touch to discuss what had happened but he did not. I hope the Bay club marina will learn from this and step up their security. Otherwise it is a lovely location and hopefully no one else will have to go through what we endured for over 4 hours.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hillsborough, North Carolina
Reviewed 7 July 2010

Great location, great staff, beautiful,great value

• Stayed July 2010
California
Reviewed 25 June 2010

My wife and I planned a 2 day/ 1 night visit to celebrate our 29th anniversary. After calling all 4 resorts on Shelter Island we chose the Bay Club Resort and Marina. Wow! A one bedroom suite with great views of Downtown San Diego, the bay and channel. The management said they were " softies " for anniversaries. So they gave us an upgrade. They drove us to the Bali Hai restaurant ( Best Mai Tai's anywhere) and offered to pick us up too. Nice firm king size bed wonderful pillows. Two HD TV's. Recently refurbished rooms looked better than many 1 bedroom apt's I've lived in. Full buffet breakfast and a walk along the bay and channel the next morning. Would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RA8
belfast
Reviewed 24 June 2010

Stayed 5 nights at the Bay Club and enjoyed my stay.
The location is reasonably good - right on the water which is nice to look out at and for walks but it is not that close to any beaches and is quite a distance from any nicer restaurants. Having said that the freeways are close but it is several minutes drive at least to either a beach or nicer restaurant.
The staff were friendly and helpful throughout my stay.
The rooms are large, typical of american hotels such as these with lots of empty space. The decor is fine, a little dated but in good condition and very clean. The "patio" seating area outside the room is very small and close to the next room. It rather looked out on to the parking lot, although the first floor rooms looked like they had more room, privacy and a better view.
The pool area is pleasant, although surprisingly items from the bar do not seem to be able to be brought to the pool.
I did not eat at the hotel and so can't comment on the food.
Overall I think the Bay Club Hotel is pleasant although not particularly spectacular.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
4 Thank hc1401
Reviewed 23 June 2010

I chose this hotel after reading the favorable reviews on Trip Advisor. My 2 night stay at this hotel was 100% consistant with those favorable Trip Advisor reviews. The room we had included a balcony overlooking the marina (nice view) and the hotel staff were exceptionally friendly/helpful. The price included a tasty breakfast and I thought it was a good bargain compared to other hotels that I saw when searching for a hotel. My advice is to skip the local restaurants up the street...the ones we tried were not that good. Other than the local restaurants, I liked everything about my stay including the location...which was an easy drive to San Diego Zoo, Coronado Beach, Belmont Park and other popular attractions.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank mikeyboy_esq
Ontario, California
Reviewed 16 June 2010

We stayed at the Bay Club and it was very nice. My husband and I decided short notice we wanted to go for a romantic getaway. It was perfect we saw a deal on their website for a night and dinner for 2 it was great. We were kind of on a budget and we stayed recieved free steak and shrimp dinner plus breakfast buffet in the morning it is right across from the water so we walked on the shore the whole evening what more could you ask for? I would recommend this to anyone!!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 15 June 2010

Our stay was great. The hotel has more of a laid back feel. We had a marina view room with balcony. The view was beautiful and so peaceful. They had plenty of parking (underground parking as well that we did not find out about until mid stay which made things much more convenient for us!) Parking was $5 at night but still not bad. The hotel was close to many attractions and in a great area. They have many surrounding restaurants that were very good though I did not really prefer the dinner selection at the hotel restaurant and I was disappointed that they do not have microwaves in the rooms as there are mini fridges. They provided breakfast and had a great assortment. Breads, fruits, eggs, hashbrowns, etc. They provided free wifi. Kids loved the pool and hot tub. Thought there was much noise outside at times due to concerts and such we could not hear a sound when our balcony door was closed. All of the employees were very friendly and helpful. All in all...great stay.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family