“On our way to a cruise to Mexico”

Holiday Inn Express San Diego Downtown
Ranked #122 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 17 November 2013

My travel group from Calgary had planned a cruise and we stayed at the Holliday Inn on Seventh. What a great place. It was just right! The rooms were great ! The staff was great! The breakfast "fit the bill" It was right in the center of "things" and we could walk to everything. The hotel bus took us over to the zoo. You got to go to the Rocklin Baja , in OLD TOWN , for seafood! If you are there for a cruise , this is a great hotel to kick off your vacation. Our only complaint was we should have booked longer at the hotel so we could experience more of San Diego.
1-877-660-6550

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Was a great stay. I was there about 4 weeks this time and cant talk highly enough. The staff is very friendly and helpful.
Elizabeth Gastelum went way out of her way to make it a super stay. A room upgrade, a birthday cake are just two of the many things.
I will recommend this hotel to anyone going to san diego. Is super clean, has breakfast every day, and plenty of parking.
I was there with a small group of guys and when we go back will defiantly stay there again. We all love it there.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

We loved are experienced. Everything is close by. The girls at the front desk are supper awesome, they were really helpful. If we had any questions they were happy to help :) and we really like that a lot. I recommended for any one this hotel is family friendly and is supper clean. We loved it!

Reviewed 3 November 2013

Spent there four days and stuff was stolen from my room and from my car at the parking lot. Management was never around to address the issue. I got a response from them two weeks after I left saying that if things had been stolen, I should call the police. The have no record of the people from housekeeping and no cameras anywhere on the building but the lobby. Talk about having security and crisis management! I don't think I will ever again stay at a Holiday Inn!

Room Tip: Stay away from this hotel!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear SATraveler80,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith in our hotel and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your experience in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional detail regarding your stay. I trust we can regain your confidence in our products and services.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 24 October 2013

At first glance, this looks like (and probably is) a re-born hotel from the early 1960's. The exterior looks dated and while the interior has had an update, it could still use some work. You won't find fancy accommodations here. But it was clean and comfortable, no complaints there. At first I wanted to give a two star rating but it does have some real bonus features. It's on Cortez Hill and there's a nice patio area in the back with a view of downtown San Diego. You can sort of see the bay too. Ask for a south-facing balcony room, you'll get the best view. This is the only HI Express I've stayed at that had room service. I didn't order but my coworker did and she was very happy with her meal. If you knew her, you'd be impressed too! Check out Sole Lune Cafe across the street, I really liked it. It's close to the airport, which I always like too. The parking garage is difficult to negotiate but I managed OK. Worth a shot if you're on a budget. Staff was nice too and they had a free happy hour, beer, wine and soft drinks.

Room Tip: South facing balcony room is the best view.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Dear CaliforniaMax,

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 18 October 2013

This is a good place to stay when you need to fly out of San Diego and leave your car. But I would feel very uneasy driving a large vehicle into their parking structure. This hotel is right in the middle of down town around the one way streets. Lots of other hotels right around you. The service was great. They have a pool, evening refreshments and free breakfast. The morning we left we were too early for breakfast but they packed a breakfast for us to take which was more than plenty. I would stay here again. It is really nice to drive in and have a relaxed night before a 8 AM flight. Then receive a togo breakfast, be taken to your departure location and not hassle with parking. In the cost of the Sleep-Park-Fly price is your parking fee to leave your car at the hotel. Then when you come back, just call the hotel and they will pick you up right away. You get in your car and your ready to go. It's that simple.

Room Tip: Try to stay in a room facing the pool.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Although this is an older property, the location of this hotel and the friendly staff help to make up the difference! This hotel is moderately priced but with a great location of uptown San Diego. So easy to pub crawl your way down the hill as the night progresses and then grab a short cab ride back to the hotel at the end of the evening. Great location for other sight-seeing during the day as well. The only two negative comments I have about this hotel is that the bathrooms are very small (reminiscent of a cruise ship bathroom) and on my stay one of the two very slow elevators was out of commission more than it was working which made for long wait to travel between floors (use the stairs, much quicker).

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the city and with a balcony!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends