“Good rooms, excellent food and great people.”

Holiday Inn Express San Diego Downtown
Ranked #127 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Stayed one night in November 2013 prior to Hawaii Circle cruise from San Diego. The room was good and the complimentary breakfast was excellent.

The desk personnel and Happy Hour servers were congenial and tried to please. The complimentary shuttle van driver was friendly, attentive and handled luggage with no hesitation.

We were pleasantly surprised by the service at this property and will stay again when we travel to San Diego.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express San Diego Downtown

Reviewed 20 March 2014

Was going to San Diego for a quick overnight stay with my 2 boys (adults). We reserved the "book early and save" room with 2 queen beds. Said you had to book at least a week in advance and non refundable. A few days later I thought I would check and the room was $10 cheaper, so I called the hotel and told them I guess I got the "book now and pay more" rate. Anyway, they reduced the price for me. Hotel is sort of in a run down area but is seems they are fixing the area up. It was clean and rate included a nice breakfast in the morning. Centrally located near Little Italy and we walked to Gaslamp. Overall, I would stay again for same rate. They do charge $16 per night for parking. Staff was friendly.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jeff S
Reviewed 9 March 2014

My husband and I spent 3 nights here and found the accommodation to be satisfactory but not outstanding. The complimentary breakfast room was bright, well stocked and had a nice variety of options (although I'm always looking for more fresh fruit in these breakfast rooms). Staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was clean, but dated. Bed was very nice and comfortable.

Room Tip: Our room was at the end of a VERY long hallway and unfortunately for me with an injured knee I had d...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear Ann H,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. We are pleased to see you enjoyed your time at the hotel, and look forward to serving you again in the future.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 8 March 2014

First of all let me tell you about my self so you know why I am writing this review.
I am a international traveler and I travel once a month year round so hotel issues are things I
"DO NOT WANT TO DEAL WITH"
ThIS hotel has been the place I lay my head down for the last two years after a grueling day of work.the managers and staff here are by far the best I have ever encountered from the girls in parking booth to the kitchen staff,van driver,cleaning ladies. They know the meaning of taking care of there guest and work very well together For example I was haven a free glass of wine during social hour and the staff had surprised a lil girl with a birthday cake.the look on the lil girls face when the staff,parents even us guest all jointed in singing happy birthday to her was priceless!!!!
THE STAFF IS WHAT MAKES THIS HOTEL!!!!!
If it wasn't for the staff this hotel would not last a year.
The managers need help,what I mean by that is the facility needs more upgrades.
GET NEW ELEVATOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
For the rooms,for a start you should refinish all the suites then the others.
CHANGE THE BREAKFAST MENU!!!!! Please!!!!!!!!
If you back your managers this hotel could be a diamond in the ruff!!!!!!
Don't believe me? Step out he balcony on any floor facing the ocean and tell me it's not the most beautiful view of the city night lights!!!

WHEN IM AT THE HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS IN DOWN TOWN SAN DIEGO HOME SICK ISNT AS BAD!! :-))
Good job guys and GOD BLESS!!!!!!!

K.M

Room Tip: Pick a room facing the ocean!!!!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I love staying in this hotel because the staff is so nice and very helpful. The whole staff from top to bottom made me feel welcome and went out of their way to help me find places to eat or just hang out. Everything from restraunts, Seaport Village, Gaslamp district is within walking distance. I definitely recommend this Hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Found this hotel on line and I was totally impressed with the service and personal attention from the staff. The hotel received 3 stars but the service was 5 stars. The rooms are a little dated, but for the money I really loved this place.

Room Tip: Great front desk service and the hotel staff was very good. Rooms were large, bathroom was small...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank DesertSun2014
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I went with my father to this holiday inn, in July for a week. When we arrived we did have some misfits but those are all on my dad because the staff there are really sweet and they even remembered my name and I theirs. I felt like we were friends. The staff are always welcoming and they really do go out of their way to make your trip as awesome and pleasant as possible. Even if they are tied down busy they have the fastest service when you need them. You can't get that at most hotels. I generally recommend the Holiday Inns and the Express' as well because I always am treated like family and have the best experience with their staff. What I also loved is how it was soo close to everything, not so handy that it is on a hill (but great exercise). One last thing about the staff and hotel is that they have happy hour and at night cookies of different kinds (FRESH) One thing I didn't like was the depth of the pool it was three feet and you cant do much with that. Also side note they don't have a fitness centre.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
sdrodeway, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Dear Stella h,

Thank you for your amazing comments about our staff. We always strive to remember and care about all our guest, especially a returning guest like you. We appreciate your time and your loyalty to the IHG brand this hotel.

Warm Regards,