“O.K. Stay”

Ranked #121 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Yuma, Arizona
“O.K. Stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights while attending a Padres baseball game. Hotel is on a hill overlooking the Gaslamp district. It was quite a walk from the baseball complex which is almost to the waterfront at the other end of the Gaslamp district. The rooms were comfortable and service was great from the employees we dealt with. Check in took longer than expected due to many people checking in at the same time. If you don't mind walking a ways to eat or be entertained in the Gaslamp this is the place to save a few dollars. Thier rates are a lot lower than most hotels closer to the action. There is a little cafe right next to the parking garage that has pretty good food for breakfast or lunch. All in all a good place to stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank alchaffee
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Dear alchaffee,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. It's great to hear that you were satisfied with your stay with us. I am delighted that you liked our rooms and staff services. We work diligently to ensure our facilities and services are superior and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I am sorry that you felt the check in time was lengthy. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. We take all reviews very seriously and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Turkish first
Saskatoon, SK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

I am very happy that we stayed at this hotel. The staff are very polite, courteous, and helpful. It is in a great location. The rooms were clean. Everything worked properly. The beds and pillows are very comfortable. I liked that the rooms are quiet. I did not hear very much noise from our neighbors. The pool is quite small but my daughter still had a blast when she swam. It was really nice to have the shuttle service as many hotels in San Diego do not offer shuttle service. We checked in very late after the shuttle hours were done for the day so the hotel reimbursed me cash (up to $15.00) for cab fare. Having breakfast available each morning was great and good for saving money. Overall I am very very pleased with our stay. This was our first time visiting San Diego and this hotel helped make an excellent first impression.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank love2explorentravel
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

A nice stay we had in the Holiday Inn in San Diego.
Complimentary airport shuttle, 24h check in, spacy room, nice A/C, fridge and breakfast. late check out was possible and the staff very friendly and helpful! Location is perfect; thumbs up!

Room Tip: Balcony Room!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Charlotte D
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

We have stayed in many hotels through the years and never have I encountered such an exceptional staff willing to go out of their way for service. and this is only a 3 star hotel, something I would expect for 5 stars or higher. Ro'marez is very helpful, friendly, personable and truly must love his job because he goes above and beyond for the guests. The few negatives I have are as follows: The rooms have decent/pretty views, but the bathrooms are WAY TOO small. One person barely fits in there. The other con is that its not as close to Gaslamp quarter, restaurants or the Trolley and we had imagined. it was fun to walk and enjoy the great San Diego weather, but can be far especially if hungry. Overall, I would recommend his hotel if you are planning on using it as a resting place at nighy whild you enjoy San Diego, otherwise I would suggest to look for something more comfortable.

1 Thank Batata32
sdrodeway, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear, Batata32

Thank you for your amazing comments about our staff. We make every effort to make the experience a five star visit!

Clearwater, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

The staff was excellent, and there is a free hotel shuttle that took us to the harbor area and back. The rooms however were smaller than expected, and the bathroom was really small. The property is also in need of some repair, mostly just basic maintenance stuff, typical for an older building. Breakfast area was also a little smaller than needed, and they were having a hard time keeping the coffee from running out.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear Kenny C,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the room layout prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

I have stayed at few Holiday Inns and they are hit or miss. This was a miss. The trip started poorly when the complimentary shuttle they provide (part of the reason I booked at this hotel) never showed up. I called them when I landed and they said 15-20 minutes. After waiting for 25 minutes I called back and they said he was never dispatched and would be another 20 minutes. At that point I said forget it, I'll take a cab. Upon arrival at the hotel they told me I would be reimbursed for the $15 cab fare. The next morning upon checking out I asked them again about it and the front desk people had no knowledge of it and it wasn't in the system. Then they said they would have to let Expedia refund me. Would it have been easier to just give me $15 at that point? Yes, but fine. I called back a couple of days later, out of principle, and another person said they would be processing it and that Expedia received their refund. Basically I need to chase down Expedia for cab fare, which I'm not going to do. The point is they should have handled it better and just paid for the cab. The expectation that I was going to wait 45 minutes at the airport because they never sent their shuttle was absurd, so it should have been rectified then.
Other than that, the rooms were motel like, smelled of mildew, but did have a nice view. I would say it's about a 15 minute walk to the Gaslamp District but completely do-able. The cost per room is cheaper than the ones you will get down there, but if you're willing to splurge a little extra I'd say go down that way.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mnree7
Brasilia, DF
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

The hotel is located just a few blocks away from the Gaslamp Quarter. Parking is not included in the price, you have to pay US$16 per day, but you can come in and out as many times as you want. The rooms are comfortable. The staff is super friendly. The breakfast is good.
It is a great hotel if you want to stay close to the nightlife without spending a whole lot of money!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends