Holiday Inn Express San Diego Downtown
  • Pool
  • Pool
Hotel Occidental(San Diego)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsbalboa parkfree happy hourfree breakfastfree shuttlefree beer and winepancake machinehotel shuttleshuttle servicegaslamp quarterbreakfast roomhot breakfastfront desk staffan older hotelbooked this hotelstaff was very friendly and helpfulyogurtthe gas lamp district
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Stayed here for a business conference over a period of 2 weeks. HIE are known to focusing on good sleep and good showers and this is no different. The room was clean and spacious. However there were quite a few things that needs attention. Firstly, the air conditioner. Given the hot weather of SD, the AC was positioned near the working table and it takes forever to cool the spacious room and not to mention that the AC must be a decade old! Next the breakfast. Its very basic and the same menu everyday. Very poor. The hotel is located on a steep hill and is at least 20 mins walk to the Gaslamp area. If you are not very mobile you may want to look for alternatives or depend on the taxis all the time which may not be a good idea if you are budget conscious (which I guess you are if you stay at HIE). The lift that goes down to sixth avenue does not always provide access for you to come up since the door is locked from the inside. The wifi in the room was also very poor. I found the customer service of staff were rather average with the exception of one or two. Overall I would not return unless I'm really out of options.

Room Tip: Request for rooms with balcony.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear GovindanNair,

Ben J

Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed here two nights over Memorial Day weekend. I'll start with the positive. The location worked great for us. We used public transit from Old Town to get to the property with no issue. They also took us to and from the San Diego Zoo with great service and great drivers and took us to the airport as well. The hotel is several blocks away from the Gaslamp District where we ate both evenings which was convenient. We also did the 20 minute or so walk to the USS Midway. The breakfast was well stocked, roomy and they had two people working it at the busiest time. More than met our needs. The lobby area was nice and they have a small bar with a few tables with a view over the city (and a parking lot).

The rooms and halls feel a bit outdated. The hallways could use a fresh cleaning, or new paint, wallpaper or something. Our room was fine. It was clean but nothing special. Our internet service worked pretty slow. We had 4 people in a two double bed room and were charged $10 extra per night for an extra person which surprised me. As I mentioned, we were there for Memorial Day weekend and rooms were at a premium, the price we paid didn't quite match up with the quality of the room, although, we wanted a room in the city so it was the best rate I could find. The elevator is oh-so-slow.

There's a small swimming pool that we used one evening. Us boys swam and the girls sat at the table and read. It was good enough for a short dip.

I would stay here again, but would also do some looking around for the best rate. Although the shuttle service they offered was quite good and convenient.

Room Tip: Take the stairs vs. the elevators when you can, the elevators are slow. I wish I had requested a 'pool side' room which overlooks the city. You are overlooking parking lots, but you can also look into the city. My wife didn't think this view was better than the other side though.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Dear ExpeditionMan,

Thank you for choosing us and taking the time to review your recent stay. I am delighted with your kind words regarding our convenient location and the complimentary breakfast served. However, it is a regret that not all aspects of our facility was able to be at par with your standards particularly your room accommodation and internet service provided. All your comments have been taken into serious consideration towards improving our service.

As for our room rates, it is not our intent to inconvenient our guests instead provide rate options that make sense. Nevertheless, this point has also been noted for future consideration.

Once again, thank you for staying and I hope you choose us again on your next visit to San Diego.

Faith R

Reviewed 14 May 2014

I needed to spend the night in DT Dan Diego at the last minute and didn't think the trip was worth a splurge. This HIE was centrally located and had a price point just under $100/night. That rate included a continental breakfast and free wi-fi too.

The good: The room was average, but had everything you need. Housekeeping had cleaned it well and the bed was decent. Check-in was prompt and there were usually cabs waiting. Parking was available with in and out priveleges at reasonable (for dt San Diego) price.

The great: The location is really good. The price was great. By joining the loyalty program I recieved a late check-out of 2pm. I thought that was a great perk.

The poor: I kept trying to call the front desk one morning and the phone just kept ringing and ringing. When I finally walked out to the desk, the staff informed me the front desk button on the rooms phones doesn't work. They were sort of "oh well" about it. Not even a "so sorry for the inconvenience". There was also a drunk and stalky love story playing itself out in the lobby one evening. To be fair, that probably isn't a regular occurance and the desk staff handled it reasonably well.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

Dear mermaidit,

Thank you for your comprehensive review. You have covered all aspects of your stay and I am particularly appreciative of your comments about our great location and value. It is always hugely motivating when one takes the time and trouble to acknowledge their good stay. I'm sorry for any inconveniences you experienced. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer for to our guests.

Jaime W

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Was there for business in Downtown and stayed at this hotel. It is not really bad, but needs a lot of work especially with their elvators..i even think the certificates were expired! Looked more like a motel…I have stayed in better Holiday Inn express hotels before!
Good service: smooth check in and check out.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear nawafe,

Thank you for your recent stay with us, and for taking the time to post a review. I’m glad to know that we were able to provide a hassle-free check in and check out for you.

You mentioned in details some concerns about some of our facilities. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you have encountered. Your feedback is highly appreciated as this gives us the opportunity to improve on our guest satisfaction.

Again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to serve you again in the future.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

We stayed 2 nights here on our recent vacation in southern California. Upon our arrival the front desk manager Kristin was performing many duties. This woman can multi-task. She was super helpful to our needs and made sure that we were settled in alright. She went above and beyond the call of duty to help us out. Renee from housekeeping was another standout. She took the time to talk with us and told us to contact her if we needed anything. It is employees like these that can make an ordinary stay into one that is memorable and is so lacking in most hospitality establishments. I hope if management reads this that it is passed along to these employees of their job well done.

The room was super clean and had all of the typical amenities that we have come to know from a Holiday Inn. The hotel was centrally located and within walking distance to all of the sights that we were there to take in. One thing to keep in mind is that 7th Ave at the hotel site is on a steep hill, so if you will have a brisk walk to get back to the hotel. Nothing too extreme. I would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple