“Clean, Cheap and Friendly” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
California Suites Hotel
Ranked #228 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Clean, Cheap and Friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2013

Can't beat the price, and the rooms are clean with fridge and microwave. Location is not bad either. Outside is not so good but the inside is nice. Scenic view from window, and good room service. This is a budget hotel , so try to keep an open mind, and remember your booking for the sleep.. right?

Room Tip: Get a room with a view and you will be happier
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Hebrew first
San Diego, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

Check this out, you get a physical key, no cards. Cathode ray tv. See photos that hotel does not want you to see. Talked to a white couple in parking lot, they loved the place. So it really depends on you standards. I was horified. Smells, and hotel staff immediately talk about plans to renovate, as if I care. Pay the extra $15 and go elsewhere.

Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Oh-Pooh O
Athens
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013

Doesn't look like much from the outside but once you get into the courtyard/room area it's quite nice. In a good location with a large variety of restaurants nearby and the on ramp to the I805 just next door for easy access to the highway system. The rooms are nothing to write home about but they are clean with fridge and microwave. The bathroom had no sink, had to use the sink in the kitchen area for shaving, etc. The courtyard and pool area is clean, well kept and attractive. Breakfast is marginal--cereal, sweet rolls, fruit. Staff is friendly. But the real attraction is the price. For what you pay here it would be hard to beat in the San Diego area. Recommend.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank tomcat408
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2013

I had stayed there with my family. We got a nice room that overlooked the fountain. View from our room was pleasant and scenic. Room was surprisingly clean as I was not expecting it (it’s a budget hotel, so didn't have much expectations.) Room had fridge and microwave but no coffee maker. Services were fine. But they can improve the continental breakfast.

It is not easy traveling with kids. But the hotel is close to Balboa Park, San Diego zoo and beaches. So we didn't face any difficulty in commuting. Staff was really helpful. Throughout our stay, they helped us with the directions. Highly recommended for its easy location.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Bellingham, Washington, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2013

The grounds are nice and the beds are comfortable enough, but there wasn't free wifi in the room as advertised, and the continental breakfast consisted of muffins. There is a toaster but no bread. They are stingy with the soap and shampoo. It's a nice place to stay, but don't expect too much.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Mobile, Alabama
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2012

We had three rooms here with other family members. The second night my son knocked on the door and I was in the shower, when I came out I asked him how he got into the room his response was his key. I said that was not possible we have two different rooms we tried his key and it opened the door. We then tried the third room and it opend that door as well. I went to the office but he manager was not available it was a bit after 6 PM. I was not comfortable so we checked out that evening and found another hotel. The next morning I called and wanted to speak to the manager but he was still not available. I left my number a and have had no response. This is a security issue that no one should have to experience.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank jeff g
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the California Suites Hotel for 7 nights and my only negative comments would be that housekeeping wasn't quite up to par (they didn't leave cups, soap, shampoo, etc.) and the front office staff wasn't the most professional or the friendliest, however, it is a 2-star hotel so I didn't expect much. The furniture was a little outdated but the room was very spacious with more than adequate storage space (1 single closet and 1 double closet with built in shelves), plenty of cabinet space in the kitchen, a microwave, and refrigerator. I did notice blood on the comforter the morning of our second day but my boyfriend had a wound so it could have come from him. That evening upon our return, we had fresh sheets and a fresh comforter. The breakfast was adequate for our needs (cereal, bagels, muffins, oranges, juice and coffee) and was a nice start to the day. The hotel is within a short distance to all attractions and the hotel even provides written directions to the popular destinations. We did have to pay for internet but I probably could have just asked someone for the password (hint, hint). Soundproofing wasn't the best but with the a/c on I didn't hear a thing and I'm a very light sleeper. Overall, we had a wonderful stay and I would recommend California Suites to anyone looking for a clean, 2-star hotel in a convenient location. The pool and hot tub close at 10 and everyone minded the rule. There are a lot of restaurants nearby as well as a miniature golf course and a bowling alley if you're looking for something to do at night.

Room Tip: We had a room by the pool but I think it would be nice to be by the fountains. I don't think any...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple