“Bad plumbing, bad location, rest was average”

Red Roof Inn San Diego Downtown
Ranked #203 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Seattle, Washington
“Bad plumbing, bad location, rest was average”
Reviewed 6 February 2014

First off, let me say this hotel is on the outskirts of the downtown area. At night, there will be bums sleeping around this place on the streets.

2nd, the plumbing in this joint is UNREAL. My shower was shaking and the pipes sounded like they would break. I haven't heard anything like this in my life. I cut my showers short. Of course the front desk said maintenance would fix it. Yeah, right.

The people in the room next to me partied for 3 days (or should I say nights?) in a row. Screaming, cops knocking on the door, doors slamming, laughter. Basically, a nightmare.

POSITIVE: Bed was nice, front desk people were nice, room was clean.

Take my advise, pay $20 more a night. You will thank yourself. Let me be the cheap guy. I paid for it.

Room Tip: Ummm….pick another hotel. Don't be Mr. Cheap-O like me. :(
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank RyanMaz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 31 January 2014

A friend told us about Red Roof and we decided to give it a go as we only had a very short stay in San Diego and wanted to be right in the heart of it all. Perfect location! Awesome and very helpful staff made our stay easy and pleasant. Our room, which by the way was really big, overlooked the city and had an ensuite bathroom. Nothing spectacular but super clean with coffee/tea facilities. You would have to go far to beat this Inn for great service and value. Thank you for a comfortable stay and we hope to go back in the future.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 18 January 2014

I'll break this down into sections...

Location:
Great location, walking distance to the Gaslamp Quarter and close to the freeway - easy to get around. There's a sub-par Italian Cafe across the way and a convenience store across the street which isn't so convenient because it closes at 9:00pm.

Price:
For $50-$90/night depending on the day, it's a solid value. If you're expecting a fancy hotel for $50/night in downtown San Diego, save your money and spend it on a therapist, because you're looney toons.

Wireless Internet:
If you plan on using WiFi, ask for a room very close to one of their foolishly placed routers. If you aren't VERY close to one, you either won't be able to connect, or it will be stupid slow. If you're close, it's good enough.

Cleanliness:
This is where the low price comes into play. After moving rooms (to be closer to a router), the new room was occupied by a Daddy Long Legs spider in the shower. I tried to wash the the little guy down the drain, but he got caught up on the soap bits that were stuck in the drain. There were hair dye stains on the tile, which by the way is painted...PAINTED. The wood floor is actually linoleum, which either way is somewhat cleaner than carpet, in my opinion. You would think it's easier for the maids to clean, but ours missed melted pieces of chocolate scattered around.

Noise:
For being downtown, it's surprisingly quiet. That's to say, the traffic is quiet, with the occasional fire truck. Paper. Thin. Walls. Seriously. Your toilet is a commercial tankless toilet, so it's loud...so is your neighbor's...and the person above. I came to the conclusion that the guy next door had Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I know it's a guy because I could hear him talking on the phone, and to his wife, and to himself. FYI, they left their side door unlocked back in Detroit, but his buddy Roger is stopping by to lock it. His wife doesn't like Roger, but she seemed to complain a lot anyway, so who's she to judge? She was also a little gassy.

Staff/Hospitality:
Everyone that I talked to, from front desk employees to maids, was incredibly nice and very, very helpful. We asked for a microwave in the second room - a few minutes later, bam! I asked if a maid could come by and mop the floor (where the previously mentioned chocolate apparently evaded her hawk-like observation), and she was at our door within minutes. Nice lady, but obviously doesn't care much for her job. The chocolate may have been hers. Pro Tip: Nice maids or not, at hotels like this, I NEVER opt for maid service - didn't happen to us, but theft does happen.

Parking:
Get ready...parking is $16 - per night. I'm guessing that's a couple hours pay before taxes for the maids. The staff helped out here again; since we stayed for 10 nights, they cut it down to $7/night - very cool and unexpected. Parking on the street isn't horrible, but you have to be up by 8 to put money in the meter, or bet that you'll have a crisp ticket under your windshield wiper - remember: downtown San Diego.

Room Size/Amenities:
The first room we had was a single queen and was surprisingly large, probably 15x20. It had a microwave. The second room was two double beds and only slightly smaller, but a much worse layout, which made it seem much smaller. The desk blocked 1/2 of the bathroom doorway, so the desk was pushed over to gain access to the very small poop room, but then the desk was in front of half the window and blocked access to one side of the bed. From what I gathered, all rooms have a desk, coffee maker (with coffee/tea/sugar/cream), micro-mini-frige (in cabinet), iron/ironing board, safe, and circa 1990 TV. The safe didn't work in the first room and hair dryer didn't work for my girl in the second. Which wasn't all bad; it allowed me to bust her balls for forgetting the expensive one I bought her for Christmas at home. The A/C works really well, but is either on or off, hot or cold - this means you'll either wake up at 3:00am sweating a juicy puddle in your suspiciously noisy bed, OR you'll wake up with frostbite requiring the amputation of at least one toe. The shower doubles as a tub for a baby. It is the size of a stand-alone shower, but has a tub. It's hard to explain and even harder to comprehend in person...it's a 3x3 foot tub. Pro Tip: We brought our own pillows and towels - this is recommended if possible. Towels weren't dirty, but I relate them to an 80-grit sandpaper, and I'm not a fan of putting my head on a pillow that other people have sweat on - which is the case with any hotel you stay at: fact. Also, bring your own soap if possible as theirs is waxy nonsense.

Overall:
It's price, location, and staff make it a place that I'll stay at again.

Room Tip: • If you plan on using WiFi, ask for a room next to a router. • Ask for a room on the end of the ha...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Taylor J
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed 16 January 2014

I stayed in room 124 costing $66.00 a night which was the bottom floor next to the breakfast room. The room was modern enough and clean. There was a sofa, TV, aircon/heater, safe, cofee maker, iron and iron board. The Staff were very friendly and nice. If you are taking the airport shuttle you have to call ahead and take the white holiday inn shuttle, they stop pickups around at 8PM. The negatives, the walls are paper thing, the people up stairs sounded like a heard of elephants, and the breakfast in the morning was also loud. Thank god for ear plugs! The wifi does not work, however you can sit outside on the steps or there is a network cable in the room if you have a network port on your computer. There was no microwave or mini bar, and the bathroom in a small awkward l shape.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank curious24seven
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Anyone not picking this hotel for any reason is selling themselves short. When I arrived I was exhausted and just ready to go into the room and pass out and the front desk clerk could see that and was very helpful and quick with the process. I do believe his name was Ivan? When I got to the room it was clean and I was amazed at how big the room was! I work at a Red Roof Inn as well so I know what the standards are and they nailed it. Brianna was a doll as well. She had the cheery attitude that anyone would adore even though I only talked to her for a minute. Housekeeping was wonderful as well. On my last night here I needed to print my boarding passes for the plane the next day and David was super helpful and printed them for me without any problems! Sorry I was such a pain David! I enjoyed talking to you though! I will recommend this hotel to anyone coming to this area from back home and any time I come through San Diego (which doesn't happen very often) I will definitely be coming back! Thank you guys for the awesome stay! I appreciate it!

Room Tip: I stayed in 117 and was really impressed by it! Very clean and spacious!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alexandria B
San Jose, California
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Great service in the morning from a lady. I stayed there late July thru early August. I believe her name is Auosa (I can't read her name because her writing got smudged) She had some sort of french accent or something. Really awesome lady. Super friendly and super helpful. I would consider staying here again just because of her!

Anyway, decent location, the rooms were ok (but it was one of the better looking rooms for a pet-friendly property) and the wi-fi was horrible (don't pay for the service, you'll regret it.)

I also gotta add that I called this evening to determine the lady's name but the guy who picked up the phone was a jerk. He was rude and said, "what do you want man????"

hahaha. He can definitely use some training from the Auosa lady. I was gonna put 5 stars for service but man he brought my rating down.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank joeyboy086
Green Brook, New Jersey
Reviewed 19 November 2013

We stayed in this hotel for two nights and it was perfect for what we needed. It was a bit frustrating that we had to pay $18 per day for parking (if I remember the amount correctly) but I'm sure that parking anywhere else would have been a rip off. The bed was nice, room was clean, bathroom well kept. No bug issues or anything like that. I would stay there again. Great location.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple