“Great, quick stay and location”

Red Roof Inn San Diego Downtown
Ranked #204 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Buffalo, New York
“Great, quick stay and location”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

My friend and I were looking for a cheap, centrally located hotel in San Diego, where we could basically get a good night's rest and park our car safely after taking a late flight in--and before traveling to Palm Springs. This Red Roof exceeded my expectations as far as budget hotels go. It was very central to both the Gaslamp District and Balboa Park (we walked to the Gaslamp, but ended up driving to Balboa Park because of its uphill location). Our room was very modern and clean, which pleasantly surprised me, and the hotel was very quiet, despite being located in downtown San Diego. I also felt very safe here the entire time. We accidentally drove to the Mission Bay Drive location first, which I may add, seemed like was in the middle of nowhere and not too safe--judging by the glass divider at the front desk counter between the staff and customer. The girl at this front desk was helpful, and the free breakfast was a nice added touch. Parking, which was around the corner in a gated garage, was $16, which I found a little steep, although we were in a big city.

Overall, great stay. I would recommend staying here if you need a central place to sleep, and aren't looking for much more.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank cbattsolutions

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Stayed only for a night but received extraordinary service from everyone but in particular Erica at the check in counter!

This lady provided service in scheduling my shuttle and assuring my departure by air the next day, when I was in no condition to help myself. I had just arrived after a long cruise at the cruise port. Enterprise Car Rental was so incredibly screwed up that I was seriously inconvenienced and she took it upon herself to straighten out my connections from the hotel early the next morning, arranging an early connection to the airport.

You have no idea how calming it was to receive that type of service when I appeared on the scene with three pieces of luggage that I could barely manage by myself.

Everything was perfect in the room as far a functionality and cleanliness as well.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Peter B
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed there two times this month and was very pleased, located in the heart of the city it has everything you need complimentary wifi, breakfast, parking space.
Miss Erica the front desk very kind and helpful, definitely will return.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 April 2014

There was a lady at the desk called Erica, she's wonderful, she put me and my Marines together and accommodated us all! And even looked for 18+ places for myself!

The area is wonderful, and is like a 4$ cab ride from all of gaslamp!
And the hotel has parking with in it too which is very helpful!

• Stayed April 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Rebeca Chacon, General Manager of the Red Roof Inn Downtown San Diego, addressed my complaint with graciousness, generosity and to my complete satisfaction. I would recommend this Inn for affordability, location and service.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Rancho Cucamonga, California
Reviewed 29 March 2014

The rooms were spacious and clean and a great value and the staff exceeded my execution with the great service....thank you Suzette and Erica....and I would definitely advise everyone to stay at this red roof inn....I will stay here again in the future.

• Stayed March 2014
Orange, California
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Went to San Diego for the Hot Chocolate 15k race. We got a great rate on these rooms for being downtown and close enough to walk to our start line near the Petco Arena. I had to add a room at the last minute and that was no problem and we got a better rate. Even with multiple rooms under one reservation and separate credit card payment Erica at the front desk made check in and out seamless. The rooms were clean and smelled clean-not stuffy. The coffee in the lobby area was actually good. Was it the best hotel I ever stayed in? No, the shower was like standing on a bosu ball very odd and the bed was not the most comfortable. However, the staff, the rates, and the closeness to downtown Gaslamp district were perfect!! I will stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends