“great location”

Baymont Inn & Suites San Diego Downtown
Ranked #201 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I stayed here for 1 night with two of my colleagues. The location was great! The hotel is close to the Gaslamp Quarter and Balboa Park.
Our room was large, with two Queen beds and a sofa-bed. We were pleased that it had a minifridge, microwave, and coffee maker. The beds were comfortable and the room was clean.
Everyone we encountered at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. They gave us maps and great recommendations for nearby restaurants.
The parking situation was a little strange, but totally doable. As others mentioned, the entrance is around the block, but all the one-way streets make it a little confusing to find. If I had been alone at night, I might have been afraid, because you have to walk out the garage and around the block to get to the hotel's entrance.
The hotel had free wifi, which is a bonus, but we had some issues with it crashing. Honestly, though, I never have high expectations when it's free.
We didn't go down to the included breakfast, so I can't speak to that.
Overall, a very good and affordable downtown option.

Room Tip: The rooms upstairs seemed better. The one right above the hotel lobby, though a little more expensi...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

The room is decent enough for what it needs to be, a place to lay my head comfortably (and I could). There just some small things that I wasn't too fond of: the lack of water pressure to shower - someone flushed the toilet below me and the plumbing quaked as the water pressure dropped, the shower head was at chest level, so I had bend down quite a bit just to wash my hair - I'm 6'2", and the shower felt like I was walking on a water bed - air bubble under the bath floor.
The staff are friendly and were kind enough to point me to a decent watering hole for a later dinner. The breakfast was the expected small continental breakfast that leaves you wanting more, but decent enough. Also, I don't care for the $16/day parking, but I ignored that since I'm downtown. The biggest complaint is their $200/night cost, there must have been a special event when I was in town, I had no other choice even if it wasn't the quality for the cost.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Andrew R
Reviewed 26 July 2014

The rooms are nice and all. But what REALLY made this a phenomenal hotel was the young lady at the front desk, Erica. She was very eager to help, full of useful information, and she has great energy. Someday, when I am Oprah rich, I'm gonna give her like $10k.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank koddxdynamite
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

Erica, the front desk agent, was extremely helpful to us! Thank you for everything! We'll definitely be back! Had a great time thanks to her help and advice. Our visit was fantastic. Thanks again Erica.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Keith M
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I checked into this Inn this afternoon, the girl at reception was not very helpful, half way through the check in the phone rang, which she answered, I was then told "you're done". Wasn't given any information, or even directions to my room.
The room itself is fine, basic, but ok. The walls are paper thin, every time the toilet was flushed in the room next door it sounded like a burst water pipe. And every time the person in the room above moved it sounded like they were coming through the ceiling.
I am a woman travelling alone and there are no net curtains or screens on the window and I had a lot of other male guests staring in the window at me, I had the option of pulling the drapes or putting up with it.
I went to the reception to ask about checking out early (I had booked 3 nights) and was told that I had to phone booking.com who I had booked with if I wanted a refund for the remaining nights.
It's a cheap building, it doesn't feel safe and the staff don't care.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Kimistie
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I highly recommend this motel. It offers terrific value for money and is in an excellent location.
The reception staff (Ivan and Erica) are friendly and efficient and offer first-class information about the area - most impressive.
My room was well-equipped and very comfortable. There is a complimentary breakfast and free wifi.
If I ever return to San Diego I will definitely choose to stay here.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jan L
Nicholas V, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you for the wonderful review! We are extremely pleased that your stay was terrific. We would like to thank you for acknowledging some of our staff by name as they all work hard to ensure each guests stay is a comfortable one. Our breakfast is relatively new and we are pleased to hear your comments on it. We look forward to seeing you again next time you are in San Diego.

Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel in a rush without doing my usual research, and so was unhappily surprised to find out there is a $16 a day parking charge. The parking in this downtown location is either in the small central auto court, or in an underground lot which is comically difficult to enter due to one-way streets. Having parked, you must exit the lot onto the sidewalk and walk around on the street to get to the rooms, even though the parking is directly below them.

At check-in the office clerk was snarky and though he did accommodate our request to change to a different room after we complained about the noxious odor in the assigned one, his attitude left a lot to be desired.
Aside from the odor, the first room was on the ground floor with one window into the auto court, no privacy (beware room 114). With the heavy drapes closed the room became a dungeon, all the more so because the light switches didn't work. Couldn't get out of there fast enough.

The room we ended up with was a big improvement, and was acceptable. However the one inch difference in floor height between the room and bathroom was joined with a bulky lip that we kept stumbling over.

Bottom line is that next time I will do my research better and won't be rushing back here.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank elsietall

I would like to start off with apologizing about the miscommunication with the parking surcharge. While it is listed on every website, it is something that is commonly overlooked and we are working on making it more transparent. We would also like to apologize on behalf of our staff member. While this is an uncommon occurrence, we have taken steps to ensure that it is an isolated incident. We never like to see our guest have anything less than a positive experience; your feedback is appreciated and will be used to ensure that our future guests do not have the same experience.