“Great Location!”

Blue Sea Beach Hotel
Ranked #18 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 19 August 2014

The location is perfect. Surfing right outside your door, and lots of restaurants and shops all along the boardwalk that you can walk to. The hotel room was a decent size, clean and obviously recently renovated. We had a partial ocean view on the 2nd floor near the front of the building and it was more like full ocean view in my opinion! Only complaint would be the parking. The spots are so narrow that our rental mini van could barely fit, and the additional $18/night on top of the already expensive rates was a negative. The parking should have been included.

Room Tip: Ask for a partial ocean view room near the front of the hotel (facing the beach).
2  Thank winterescapist
Ruben G, General Manager at Blue Sea Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

I am very happy to hear that your view was exceptional considering your room was a partial view. Our beachfront location provides the majority of our partial view rooms with a great view. Parking all over Pacific Beach is very challenging during the summer and I am very sorry that you found our parking spots rather small. Your feedback is greatly valued and thank you for staying at the Blue Sea Beach Hotel.
Ruben Garza

Write a ReviewReviews (1,549)

Reviewed 18 August 2014

My teenage daughter and I stayed here for two nights in August based upon other reviews. It is definitely a nice place with a clean room and wonderful beds. The pool is very nice and I loved people-watching the beach goers from poolside. It was family friendly and rather quiet (unlike other places I observed). Lots of place to eat that are within easy walking distance. You do have to pay to park, but I'd say it is necessary, especially for a weekend like us. Biggest disappointment was location of room. Booked more than a few months in advance, we ended up with a handicap equipped room at the end of the hallway in the back building. That meant no bathtub and almost no view (a sliver) any beach front and full view of the public restroom. I did ask and was told they had nothing else available. The staff was friendly. Overall nice (and pretty much what I expected), but I not sure if was worth what each night cost.

Room Tip: Ask which building you are in before deciding on a room.
1  Thank caramiamy

Thank you for your comments! I am very sorry to hear that you were disappointed in the location of the room. With very high occupancies, our team does it very best to accommodate every request possible. I do regret that we could not accommodate you with another room during the time you were with us. Thank you for your patronage and we do look forward to accommodating you and your daughter the next time travel brings you from Pittsburgh to sunny San Diego.
Regards,

Reviewed 18 August 2014

This was our second stay at the Blue Sea Beach Hotel and I absolutely love this location. It is within walking distance to dining and shopping and the beach is literally right outside the hotel. The refurbished rooms are very nice and even with a "partial view" room we were able to sit on the balcony and enjoy the ocean and people watching. The only thing keeping this from a 5 star visit was housekeeping. It was terrible. One day I had to call for service, another day she showed up late and when I asked her to come back in a half hour she was back in 15 minutes and seemed upset to have to wait. Each day something was forgotten - towels, toiletries, the patio was never cleaned-up, the counter at the bar area was never wiped down (and this is despite leaving a tip each day). Other observations were that there was a lot of employee loitering, the disabled elevator was not working so the only way to get to rooms was either go up a flight of stairs or go down a steep ramp into the parking garage to access that elevator, the large wall mirror in our room had a crack in it and I think if staff knew about the maintenance issue when we checked in we should have been notified just so we could not possibly be blamed for the damage. I tried to e-mail the manager these concerns but it came back as undeliverable so I sent the concerns via snail mail today. Hopefully some of these things can be addressed. Regardless of these issues I would not hesitate to stay here again and highly recommend it to anyone looking for a great beachfront getaway.

1  Thank Traecey A

Thank you so much for sharing your comments, Traecey. I would like to apologize for the housekeeping service issues. Rest assured we are addressing your comments feverishly. Your continued patronage is extremely appreciated, Traecey, and I am very confident that we will deliver that 5 star service during your next visit with us. Thank you again!
Regards,

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Stayed here for 4 days at the end of our 2 week southern California vacation. What a great spot. We had the partial ocean view which was just fine for sitting on the balcony and enjoying a morning cup of coffee. There's a Keurig in each room...wonderful touch! Also a decent size refrigerator and a microwave. Perfect if you are spending several days at the beach. No breakfast at the hotel but an easy walk over to World Famous or Woody's on the boardwalk will meet your breakfast needs. We also signed our two kids up for surfing lessons and the fact that they were right there in front of the hotel was a huge bonus. The beds were amazingly comfortable...best sleep of our entire trip! They are raised so make sure you check underneath for stray belongings when you leave. Also, we all stubbed our toes at least once so watch out for those edges. Yes, you have to pay $18 a day for parking but it's the beach. They could roll the parking charge into the room rate, but at least they give you the option of hunting for parking if you want. As another reviewer mentioned, if you are in the building with the lobby (further from the beach) you may have a room overlooking a parking lot and restrooms, along with your ocean view. It was actually kind of interesting watching people come and go and initially I was worried about noise, but it was no problem at all. My only 2 issues were the parking lot (VERY tight spots) and if you park under the overhang, you may get blocked in by housekeeping's laundry bins. The hotel very nicely puts pool towels in your room, however, on one occasion, housekeeping took our dirty wet towels and didn't bring us new ones. That was fine, but we went to the front desk to ask for some and they told us they would have housekeeping bring them. 30 minutes went by...no towels. I went back to the front desk and was told they were on their way. Another 20 minutes; I was ready to go back down to the lobby and I met the housekeeping person on my way. He had 2 towels (there were 4 in the room). I told him I needed 3 so he said he would go back downstairs and look for more...they were backed up in the laundry. I came downstairs with him...no more towels so he took me to the front desk where they pulled 2 more clean towels from under the counter and handed them to me. Not sure why they couldn't/wouldn't give them to us in the first place and I was unhappy that I sat in the room for almost an hour! Overall, however, a great spot and a good time. We would stay here again.

2  Thank cesejs

I am very pleased that our beds allowed you to have the best sleep of your entire trip! I am very sorry, though, for the inconveniences that were caused to you and your family as result of the beach towel issue. Our management team is acutely aware of this and we are working toward vastly improving the beach towel service we provide. Your comments are greatly valued and appreciated! Thank you for staying at the Blue Sea Beach Hotel.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

We booked a two queen bed room, partial view. We did have a partial view of the ocean, but had a full view of the public restroom and parking area. I would of rated this hotel at 4 to 5 star with a better view. The was excellent with regards to how nice and clean. The beds were very comfortable. The shower was great, especially if you are tall. The pool is heated. There is basically two different buildings with regards to views. Most of the king rooms are in the building along the beach. We were in the building behind the front building where most of the two bed rooms are located and this is where you get the partial view with. Location to the beach, water and restaurants was excellent. Staff was friendly.

2  Thank rctaj

I am very happy to hear that you found our hotel nice and clean and that our staff was friendly. Our team takes great pride in delivering great service to our valued guests! Thank you for posting your comments and enjoy the rest of your summer!

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Great location. Rooms clean and updated. Steps away from the beach. A bit pricey but the location is fabulous. We had king suite facing beach. Paid a-little extra but well worth it as with 2 teens we were able to spread out a bit and 2 baths was s blessing. Loved the view and great sunsets. All staff were very pleasant,kind and helpful. Would not second guess staying here again. Best little hotel we have ever stayed in. One of our best hotel experiences.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Sdtrip4us

Wow! It brings me and my team great pride and joy when we are able to provide accommodations that elicit a “best hotel experience”! Thank you for those wonderful comments and we be more than happy have you stay with us again in a “heartbeat”!

Reviewed 15 August 2014

We took this trip specifically to go surfing for the first time. This hotel was the PERFECT location. Our surf lessons (with Pacific Surf School - excellent) were just steps from our ocean-view room. I could have thrown a towel at them from our balcony. The room was very clean and comfortable, the staff was very nice and helpful and the location just couldn't be better. There are plenty of good restaurants and pubs right next door and all along the boardwalk. The beach is wonderful, the pool area at the hotel was nice too. The hotel also has bike rental, so one day after surfing we rented bikes and rode up to La Jolla Cove.

We'll be going back, for sure.

Room Tip: Ocean-view rooms are expensive, but well worth it.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple