“Gobsmackingly Great”

Best Western Plus Hacienda Hotel Old Town
Ranked #70 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 10 November 2012

I have been to some really, really bad hotels and some really, really good hotels – well – this hotel raises the boarding-house bar so hi – it earns a new level of goodness from me. This is also a first for me. I usually write a review after several stays. This time it only took one night, and I was hooked. I have laid my head on many a hotel pillow in my time and, in the past, I always struggled to lapse into a deep and restful sleep. Oh no - not this time. This place was so good, all I had to do was look at my bed and I started snoring (just kidding). This was such a cool hotel it has earned a personal level of its own. In my book, I award this inn the rank of really, really, really good - - - really. The design is an interesting maze of missionary style buildings, commanding a hill overlooking San Diego’s, ‘Old Town.’ Situated amongst small shops, fine restaurants and fun night-spots, this auberge has the surroundings capable of peeking any traveler’s interests. For work I travel on Per Diem and many places I stay, the staff (general manager included) tend to treat me as though I am not worthy and OMG - they are doing me some kind of a favor. Not this place. The moment I checked in, I was treated like an important guest – I am so impressed and want to thank Best Western for doing such a fine job, I cashed in my Choice Privileges, and am now a loyal Best Western traveler.

Room Tip: Catch a game
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank DougNichols
Ryanaguinaldo, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Hacienda Hotel Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2013

Thank you for your glowing 5-star satisfaction rating! I enjoyed reading about your experience with us and am delighted you became a Best Western Rewards Member! Be sure to call us before your next San Diego business trip so we can greet you as a returning guest!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,060)

Reviewed 5 November 2012

Hotel was average. Very clean, but nothing special. Very close to Old Town which is a neat historic area of San Diego . Rooms are located on several levels, so if you have any kind of knee or back problems, request a room on the ground floor.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank GaryEvelynD

Thank you for your review and compliment on our housekeeping service! We’d like to add to your traveler tip regarding room location. We are based on a hillside, which makes our panoramic views so wonderful! Six of our eight buildings have elevators in addition our bellman are always ready and willing to lend a hand. For those planning travel, feel free to contact the hotel directly with any special needs to that we can manage your reservation in a more personal way.

Reviewed 5 November 2012

The hotel is located in a great place and the potential to make it into a great property is there. The daily $12 parking charge and resort fee of $7 is something that should be considered when booking this property.

For a property its size, the pool and jacuzzi were very small.

Recommend this property for one or two nights only.

Room Tip: Because the property is located on a hill, rooms that are lower are easier to get to. If you prefer...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Tamura
Ryanaguinaldo, General Manager at Best Western Plus Hacienda Hotel Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2012

Thank you for your feedback. We can and are always getting better through constant learning. All these reviews are taken seriously and we appreciate you sharing your experience! Our resort fee of $7 includes 2 bottles of water daily, coffee and newspapers in the lobby and shuttle service to many key locations in the city including the San Diego International Airport, San Diego Cruise Terminal, Amtrak, Marine Core Recruit Depot and Old Town Trolley Station. Just tell us which spot you’d like to go to! If you do have your own vehicle, our on-site parking facility is managed by an outside company and costs $12 per day. There are many options for getting around and we encourage you to give our hotel a call if you would like to explore parking and transportation for your next visit!

Reviewed 3 November 2012

This place COULD be amazing. If you want to be in Old Town it's a fantastic location. The buildings are beautiful and the rooms have a classic elegance. It manages to pull off a resort feel in the middle of a city. Pool and hot tub, though small, are certainly adequate. The fitness center has quality aerobic equipment, but could benefit from yoga mats and a few weights. I was impressed with the housekeeper cleaning while I was in there - she was very thorough.

Unfortunately, too many negatives keep it from being fantastic. Front desk staff was mediocre. All three I interacted with certainly did the mechanics of their job, but lacked charm and personality. With one exception, the few other staff I saw did not say hello to me or other guests. (note to hotel management - it's the EMPLOYEES that make the experience for guests).

The room windows do not open, which means options in the room mean blasting the air conditioner or dealing with a hot stuffy room.

I did not eat at the restaurant - I went in for breakfast, saw the pathetic buffet, and decided it was not at all worth the price. I ate better elsewhere for less, just a 5 minute walk away. I work in the hotel industry so I expect to pay more to eat at a hotel restaurant, but it was ridiculous.

The hotel charges a "resort fee" of $7.00/night, which they state includes bottled water and newspapers. Water bottles are indeed in the room, but no newspaper was to be found. It's not the cost so much as the feeling of being nickeled & dimed, especially after being charged $12 to park. Although I only stayed one night, I was insulted by the sign at the front desk stating "early departures incur a $75 fee."

Considering the mediocre customer service I (and apparently other reviewers) received, I was amazed by the plaques from BW corporate recognizing the hotel for superior service. Hmmm...

So close... but just not there. Not bad, just remarkably mediocre. A shame, considering what a beautiful property it is.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank kevin_from_AKandCO

Thank you for your review and suggestions for improvement. We appreciate the compliments of our location, ambiance, room décor and housekeeping service. The ‘resort’ feel is exactly what we hope all our guests experience while staying! I also find your suggestions very helpful and will investigate and review them thoroughly. We are always seeking ways to improve while at the same time being completely transparent with what we offer. If another vacation brings you back to San Diego, we hope you will give us a chance to show you the level of service we have won recognition for. Thank you again.

Reviewed 27 October 2012

This was my second time staying at this hotel, however it will now be my last time. Customer service no longer exists. Or, I should say it stops with the front desk staff, who were in fact very helpful in the check in process.
When a situation arose that required medical attention the front desk supervisor, sales staff (?)and managment were decidely icy, with the exception of the Account Manager and Maintenance Manager. Not only were we left in limbo for several hours, we were actually being avoided by all. After we were moved to an other room we were left to fend on our own, with not one person enquiring as to our well being for the remainder of our stay.We remained for a further 3 days only because I had made the arrangements in advance. I am afraid to say I found the service lacking on all levels, even the housekeeping staff seemed less friendly this trip. Perhaps the saying is true that the culture comes from the top down.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank traveller-TA

Thank you for your feedback. I regret that you felt disappointed by your recent stay with us. Our leadership team felt that the outcome of your issue was resolved to your satisfaction, but that was clearly not the case. That being said, your safety and security (as well as all our guests) are very important to us. I would welcome the opportunity to follow up with you directly and can be reached through the hotel. While I appreciate your positive comment about the helpfulness of our front desk, we aim to exceed our guest’s expectations in all areas. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and sharing your experience.

Reviewed 11 October 2012

We chose this hotel mainly because of its proximity to Old Town, San Diego. We had stayed there a few years ago and were pleased to see its air of quiet elegance was just as good as it was then. Rooms are a good size, beds comfortable. The buffet breakfast which was included was perfectly acceptable. Pool is very welcome at the end of a long, hot day but could benefit from more shaded areas for those of us from cooler climes (the UK). Big plus point is being in the Old Town which we love.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the same floor as the pool
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mazandneiltaunton
Reviewed 8 October 2012

I have stayed here many times and it is consistently disappointing. It's been two years since I said, "never again"... I should not have come back. We arrived to a room that was 90+ degrees. So hot that we had to turn on the air and leave for several hours before we could re-enter the room. Service here is non-existent. If you stay multiple days, don't be surprised when they don't make up your room. It is not an accident, it's standard procedure. The restaurant (Acapulco) is not worth the time it takes to find it at the top of the hotel. Seriously, walk down to the base of the hotel and you'll find half a dozen of the best Mexican restaurants anywhere. Acapulco is NOT one of them. We were baited by the $109 special (plus parking, plus resort fee, plus tourism taxes, plus poor service). Do yourself a favor. Throw the extra twenty bucks and grab a room at the Cosmopolitan. It's in Old Town State Park right down the street. You'll be haunted by ghosts instead of the reminder that you should never stay here again....

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple