“Wonderful stay”

Ranked #68 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
San Diego, California
“Wonderful stay”
Reviewed 31 January 2013

Always saw this location and never stayed...what a wonderful experience! Felt like we were staying in an early California hacienda (all updated of course) and the location is almost in the middle of the famous "Old Town", walk to lots of places and short ride to downtown or Marina. Everything was terrific, especially the service from the front desk staff...Everyone one of them was happy and helpful. Must be a nice place to work and it shows...We'll be back for sure to this gem.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Ryanaguinaldo, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Hacienda Hotel Old Town, responded to this review, 4 February 2013
Thank you for the compliments on our Old Town San Diego charm. Our property was designed to match the lovely historical style of the area. We sincerely enjoyed having you as our guest and look forward to your return.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
San Diego
Reviewed 31 January 2013

Great location in San Diego, right in the heart of Old Town. Trolley Station close by and nice and
quite. Staff was excellent and very accomodating, clean rooms and very updated.

Value for the price was excellent and available when the rest of San Diego was booked solid.

Room Tip: Ask for Building 4, a little walk but away from the street and front desk.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for staying with us! We are proud to have earned your loyalty with our prime location, excellent staff, clean rooms and great value. We look forward to your next stay in San Diego!
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 29 January 2013

Let's start with the pros: nice airport shuttle service and great driver from Brazil, good location if you want to explore Old Town, they gave me (eventually) a voucher for free breakfast+free dinner+two free drinks. My last day there, I also had (finally) some pleasant interaction with the staff.

Cons, however, abound. Upon entering the room, I was repeatedly struck by how dated the furnishings were. Tables, couches, bath, toilet all from the 1970s. Many of the wooden materials (i.e. arguably 'hacienda style') were scratched and made me feel like they were bought from a garage sale. The bed was hard, but as I like that, so it worked well for me -- but I doubt it would work for everyone. The pillows (there were four) were incredibly lumpy and it was a real effort to find something that could work.

There were also a few service incidents that surprised me. First, the maid service didn't come until close to 4pm, which was useless for me as I had to get ready for an event then. Second, after I checked in, the front desk called me to tell me they'd forgotten to give me my meal vouchers; but as I was going to bed I told them I'd pick them up in the morning. When I went to collect them in the morning, the front desk was surprised and treated me a bit like I was lying. But perhaps it was because of the next incident I am about to relay that happened immediately before I asked for the vouchers. Third, there was a customer immediately in front of me who was checking out, and there was some sort of a disagreement with the management. The line I heard him say was, "I understand your position but I do not agree with it." As he was leaving, the woman at the front desk called him a "jerk". Wow. I was shocked. I can appreciate that you do not always like your customers, but please -- learn to hold your tongue. It's not professional to actually insult your customers verbally in front of other customers.

A note on the gym. The equipment is nice. There isn't that much of it, so consider getting in early. But not too early. When I went at 6am (when it opens), it was actually closed. They were good about immediately sending a security guard to sort things out.

As a last point, I've seen other reviews commenting about the stairs. Please take this point seriously. If you don't like stairs, beware. There are a lot of them; and in a way that I have never experienced at another hotel that I've ever stayed at. Good thing I like stairs. Just not with bags. One morning I saw an older couple on the third level really struggling to get down.

Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Ryanaguinaldo, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Hacienda Hotel Old Town, responded to this review, 12 February 2013
Thank you for your helpful feedback. I am disheartened to read about the several low points during your recent stay with us. Your review was published a bit later, so please forgive me if there seemed to be a delay between your comments and my response. First, I would like to thank you for pointing out our location, shuttle service and exercise room as positive points of your visit. You also mentioned our staff was immediately responsive when you inquired about the gym. That being said, I want to sincerely apologize for the unprofessionalism you described at the front desk. We do strive to provide the height of gracious service and as a result of your feedback, we are reviewing our procedures and service mission statement with our team. Although we do receive many compliments on our staff, cleanliness and room decor, we are committed to providing a positive and aesthetically pleasing hospitality experience that addresses the timing and needs of every guest. Thank you again for giving us the opportunity to address your concerns and improve our hotel.
Burbank, California
Reviewed 29 January 2013

I was shocked and amazed! I expected an average little motel when booking a room in old town San Diego but this large, beautifully manicured property is more like a resort. The walk through the facility to the room reminded me of hotel properties in Cancun! The room was big, comfortable and beautifully designed; excellent bedding, shutters on all windows, fridge and microwave. I loved the dark brown shutters and wood accents, VERY southwestern yet still light and airy. Not like a motel at all!

Room Tip: Ask for room on 3rd floor for a good view of the city.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Ryanaguinaldo, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Hacienda Hotel Old Town, responded to this review, 31 January 2013
Thank you very much for your excellent review. You are indeed correct. There is a difference between Best Western Hotels and Best Western PLUS properties. All Best Western PLUS properties are rated AAA 3-Diamond which means there are more amenities offered and the hotel is of a higher quality. We are honored to carry this designation and strive to live up to the better standards. I am glad you enjoyed the room décor and our lush landscape. Before your next stay, please call ahead so we can welcome you back!
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 25 January 2013

Pros: We were recommended this hotel and found it to meet and exceed most of our expectations. The room was large and spacious with two sinks. It included a microwave and fridge which was perfect for our needs. The beds were comfortable.
This is located in Old Town and is close to a lot of things in San Diego. Sea World was only 10 min. away.
Cons: This is a large hotel complex with 8 buildings. There were only 3 ice machines in the hotel and one laundry room. This proved disappointing because the laundry was located on one end of the hotel and our room was located on the opposite side. It was hard to find and there were numerous stairways that you had to climb to get to the laundry room. It would make more sense to have the laundry in a more central location.
They do not offer a complimentary breakfast. We found that to be disappointing, but just bought cereal and ate it for the few days we were there.
They charge for parking ($12/day) but there is free parking across the street. The only problem is that parking is very limited in Old Town and it is hard to find a parking spot.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your feedback and great rating. I am glad you found your room and the hotel’s location to meet and exceed your expectations. Regarding your comment about laundry, I want to apologize for any inconvenience this caused. Six of our eight buildings do have elevators but because we are spread out on a hillside, there are also stairs. Please note that our staff is available 24 hours a day to assist with your needs and help you make the most of your stay. Also, before your next visit feel free to contact us to explore parking and transportation options. Our on-site covered parking lots are managed by an outside company but seem to work well for most guests. Also, many guests choose not to rent a car due to the convenience of our central location and free shuttle. Thank you again for your helpful review, we appreciate it!
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I'm a big city girl, and so I hesitated when I was informed that our hostess had reserved the Best Western Hacienda in Old Town, San Diego. No need for hesitation - everything was excellent - from the warm greeting at the front desk by Natalie to the convenient shuttle service to the airport. Special thanks to Andreas who always seemed to "be there for me" with his wide smile and willing friendly manner.
My suite could not have been nicer, cleaner, or more comfortable.
Thanks again Best Western Hacienda. You allowed me to experience true San Diego Old Town hospitality!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Although we are not located right in the downtown area, Old Town is charmed as well as convenient to most attractions in the area. We will be sure to give Natalie and Andreas kudos for helping make your stay with us memorable!
Corona, California
Reviewed 23 January 2013

For spending a weekend in San Diego's Old Town area, you can't make a better choice than the Hacienda. Nothing fancy, but clean and with a courteous staff. The fact that its walking distance to anywhere in Old Town makes it the perfect choice if Old Town's your destination. Plus, if you haunt any of the local saloons or have a few drinks with dinner, you don't have to worry about driving. Comfortable beds, but not so for the pillows - I always bring my own when we visit. A beautiful setting tucked into the hillside that overlooks Old Town - the Hacienda gives you a chance to relax and unwind at the slower pace that makes Old Town so great.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for the great review and pointing out the many benefits of our prime location! We look forward to your next stay!